Ported 70cc work saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've not seen a thread focused on Ported 70cc saws. I would like to know what are the favorites and why? Which is the fastest and which pulls a long bar with the most authority. I live in Florida and the most I see is Muffler Modded saws. We don't have GTG's at most two friends come over and compare stock saws. I've heard the Xpw talk, 7900's and 461's.
What are we talking cut time difference in a log? I also seen a post about Cylinders cracking in hard use?

That's a charged and subjective question as a chain can make or break a saw... Are you looking for handling or power? Handling would be a 372 followed by a nice 044. Grunt would be MS441cm and 576xp, A compromise of the two would be a 7900 or a MS461. ALL of them, stock are tough saws but ported ALL of them will make you smile. It really depends a lot more on your desired handling qualities in a saw.

I like my 372 and got a darn good deal on it from Stumpy. If I was in the market now, I'd go for what fit me, followed by dealer support, in that order. I like the feel of the 7900 a lot. The 372 (for me) handles better than all with only the 044 being equal. I like the 576xp but it doesn't feel much lighter or smaller to me than a 390xp (which is what I'd buy instead) and the MS441feels similarly obese. If I bought a new 70cc saw now, I'd either buy a MS461 or wait for the new Husky(s) as the Dolmar is a wonderful saw but getting a bit long in the tooth. If I bought a 7900 I would likely buy a replacement P&C and other "spares" just to be prepared for it's eventual retirement and the dry-up up the parts supply. I'm not bashing any of them, but like most on here, I know what I like and what I don't. I'd still happily own any of the aforementioned, but for my money (which is in limited supply) 461 or new Husky for a new saw. Used all bets are off.

Speaking of he new Husky I probably ought to buy another P$C and related parts for my Sumpbroke for a rainy day.

That's a charged and subjective question as a chain can make or break a saw... Are you looking for handling or power? Handling would be a 372 followed by a nice 044. Grunt would be MS441cm and 576xp, A compromise of the two would be a 7900 or a MS461. ALL of them, stock are tough saws but ported ALL of them will make you smile. It really depends a lot more on your desired handling qualities in a saw.

I like my 372 and got a darn good deal on it from Stumpy. If I was in the market now, I'd go for what fit me, followed by dealer support, in that order. I like the feel of the 7900 a lot. The 372 (for me) handles better than all with only the 044 being equal. I like the 576xp but it doesn't feel much lighter or smaller to me than a 390xp (which is what I'd buy instead) and the MS441feels similarly obese. If I bought a new 70cc saw now, I'd either buy a MS461 or wait for the new Husky(s) as the Dolmar is a wonderful saw but getting a bit long in the tooth. If I bought a 7900 I would likely buy a replacement P&C and other "spares" just to be prepared for it's eventual retirement and the dry-up up the parts supply. I'm not bashing any of them, but like most on here, I know what I like and what I don't. I'd still happily own any of the aforementioned, but for my money (which is in limited supply) 461 or new Husky for a new saw. Used all bets are off.

Speaking of he new Husky I probably ought to buy another P$C and related parts for my Sumpbroke for a rainy day.

I've still not decided if I wanna go back in the 9010. I'd like to put some more fuel thru it if that's alright with you.

Can't get on with small huskies, feel like they should have one of these
6e4e83aac5ce21169a10be8978c5b941.jpg

If a guy is falling trees all day ,i can see where the 461 would be better ,starting and stopping in the cuts it has the tourque to get going easier as the power rolls on smoother with this model .

I have had 2 372 chassis saws ,stock did not impress me ,the ported one i had was a beast ,but for a saw that i work with it was not for me ,the handlebar felt funny for one ,and swapping chains was not as easy as my stihls ,the adjuster in the side cover was not the best idea in my opinion ,it seems to take more messing around with to swap a chain out ,for guys that sharpen the same chain and keep going all day ,may not be as much an issue ,but i just swap chains if gets the slightest bit dull so that is very important to me .

Back