Ported 70cc work saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
This 7900 turned out amazing,one impressive chip slinging saw!
Looks like good times too! :)

Heh heh. That was my saw :) That exact same top end is now on another 7900 I own and has over 1000 hours on it and over 10,000 trees on it. Cracker build from Brad and never had a problem. I think he's ported 3 or 4 7900 top ends for me now. This is by far the most powerful and will thump a stock 660 by a huge margin. I know which saw I'd rather use too from a balance and fuel consumption point of view.

The Stihl 461's are a stout 70cc saw when modded too - I've run one built by mweba and was very impressed. His 441C build was also extremely impressive and actually surprised me more than the 461. I just can't get used to the balance though. It's a funny one but I think the Stihl's are a solid firewood saw but give me a Husky/Dolmar for falling anyday. I simply can't get used to the balance and feel of the larger Stihls no matter how much I try. They do have the best set of factory spikes out there though and the best filter in the HD2.

MCW

Do you remember the compression on that saw? Sure looks fun to run.

210psi. It's certainly got some grunt. There are probably hotter 7900's around but this thing is fine by me. Eric Copsey built some pretty hot 7900's a while ago. It will pull a 42" bar buried in Redgum with non skip semi chisel OK but the oiler won't keep up. Only tried that for fun.
When I swapped the top end from the Makita in the video to a Dolmar I stuck a new ring in it even though it probably didn't need it. It still pulls 210psi cold now.
I compared it to Stihlman441's MS461 that mweba built and there wasn't much in it although the 461 had a bit more torque. Andrew (Stihlman) also ran this 7900 and felt that it took a gentler touch so it didn't bog compared to his 461. Mitch (mweba) builds a good saw though, no doubt about it. Brad did a really good job on this saw too. Couldn't have asked for more. He's a built a number of saws for me now including a couple of 390XP's which are a model I love as well. Had a few MS660's built and they have heaps of grunt but are fuel pigs and nose heavy with bars over about 28".

MustangMike
MCW, you confirm what I have said many times, a person must try the saw themselves. Your comments are the exact opposite of Brian's who prefers his big bore 044/440s, the Husky's just don't feel the same to him. I respect both opinions equally.

What saw you prefer will be to some degree personal preference, and that is fine. We are fortunate there are so many good saws (and builders) out there, and should have more respect for the preferences of others.

mdavlee

mdavlee

Tree Freak
I like the solid feel of the 460/1 for falling but for bucking and most stuff the huskies are faster and smoother. The 7900 is also as strong or stronger than most of the saws in this category. The 064 is in the same weight class with great power also.

MustangMike
Well I hope someone brings them out, because the two Smittybilt 660s are about the fasted woods port saws I've seen at the 2 GTGs I went to, and my 046 also bucks stuff pretty fast now that it is ported (no, not in the same league as those 660s, but I can carry it).

I know there will always be a "faster saw" someplace, but for it's wt, the ported 046/460 (and I'm sure 461) is a nice place to be (IMO) for most bucking chores. The only 7900 I've run was bone stock, not bad for a stock saw, but it was a stock saw. I'd like to see some "worked".

cgraham1

cgraham1

I feel old
To me, the 7900 feels like it's in the same "weight" class as a 70cc saw, but in the same "power" class as an 85cc saw. That, to me, is what makes the 7900 "special." There are many excellent 70-85cc saws, but I prefer the Dolmar. It just feels perfect to me.

I ran two saws today, both ported, an MS261 and my 2172. My 50cc saw feels like I'm working harder because it just doesn't compare in power enough for me to appreciate the lighter weight. I'd rather just run a 70cc saw.

To me, the 7900 feels like it's in the same "weight" class as a 70cc saw, but in the same "power" class as an 85cc saw. That, to me, is what makes the 7900 "special." .

I've always taken issue with this statement, especially since I have seen it dozens and dozens of times; sometimes with quoting the marketing literature stated weight of 13.6 lbs, which was obviously ridiculous if you have ever hefted one - they most certainly did not weigh 5 ounces shy of a 357xp. I had an 046 that was a strong runner. Don, AKA Sawfun9 has a 7900. I put them head to head and they performed similarly. In fact, I felt my 046 had a wider powerband pulling a 28" bar. They should run similarly - they are both nearly 80cc class saws at 76.5 and 79cc's respectively. Then there's the weight difference. The 7900 felt noticeably heavier than my 372xp did. And it felt about the same as my 046 did, maybe a tad lighter(I had the PNW version). Eventually Neal AKA NMurph and I put a chainsaw weight gallery together. And, I found my suspicions to be fairly accurate.

137564856.tFBIhj7g.046MagScale.jpg

137564899.xShNz9sU.7900.JPG

137564870.iaSe70KP.372.JPG

Personally, I would rather have a ported 044 or 440/460 hybrid to a 7900. To me, the 7900 always felt like a wet noodle. Usually a saw's looks don't bother me, but the 7900 is some kind of ugly. So, that didn't help, either.

cgraham1

cgraham1

I feel old
I said it "feels like". I didn't weigh them on a F***ing scale. :laugh: I doubt I could tell a half pound difference when running a saw, especially fully fueled with a 28" bar and chain. o_O My 2172 weighs a little more than a standard 372xp, too.

How a saw feels is not just about weight ... But you may feel differently, and I'm okay with that. And compared to the 044/440/372's I've run, my 7900 spanked all of them. Thanks for the insight... I may have exaggerated a bit, kinda like Mystang does about 10mm 044s. :oops:

MCW

My 390XP actually feels and balances like my 7900 despite being considerably heavier. Balance and handling goes a long way to hiding scale weights. I also think that a lot of people become fan boys of the saws that they actually own so then find reasons to hate other brands and models - quite simply because they don't own one :)

Moparmyway

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
I said it "feels like". I didn't weigh them on a F***ing scale. :laugh: I doubt I could tell a half pound difference when running a saw, especially fully fueled with a 28" bar and chain. o_O My 2172 weighs a little more than a standard 372xp, too.

How a saw feels is not just about weight ... But you may feel differently, and I'm okay with that. And compared to the 044/440/372's I've run, my 7900 spanked all of them. Thanks for the insight... I may have exaggerated a bit, kinda like Mystang does about 10mm 044s. :oops:

I have worked on and/or ran just about all of the saws mentioned, I have a ported 044 as well as a wicked work saw 044/046 hybrid .......... the hybrid (to me) is just hard to beat. I totally respect each ones opinions, Reindeer puts the facts into a post without any words needed :bowdown: , and we all will still have our own favorites due to handling/balance/color/etc !

now :givebeer:

Latest posts