Porting advice Husqvarna 181/288 hybrid

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you say flipping the intake port, are you talking about making the floor of the intake slightly flatter? which I could achieve by squaring off the bottom corners of it.

Done with class finals so I can get back to the fun stuff!

Squared up the intake some. I am just unsure on how much lower to bring those corners down. Right now the corners sit about and 1/8” higher than the lowest part of the floor. Am I able to go to 1/16”, or would that cause the rings to wear prematurely?

5ce1f8c82e3fd9714390ed3a4a8eef74.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to go big on the intakes, it was a mistake on a worksaw.

Guesstimate what’s around 10-20% bigger than your carb bore and make it around that big. Watch out for where the ring gaps are on the intake roof, they have to stay tucked at BDC.

You want the floor flat as mentioned. Too big and too square will ruin throttle response and wear the piston skirt faster. The intake is the thrust side for the piston on a saw.

What’s going on with your exhaust roof? Do I see chipped plating there?

Numbers look real good BTW.

I think what your talking about is on the roof of the exhaust chamfers. I haven’t touched those, that is how the chamfers came from the factory. All of the chamfers on the ports aren’t very consistent, I guess that’s what you get for non OEM cylinders.

Sorry to keep y’all waiting on the progress. But been out of town for a while. When I get back to work on it, I need to finish polishing, touch up chamfers, match muffler and intake block, and dual port the muffler.

If you have this muffler you can simply flip the one deflector around and open it up. But like you see here it’s easy to add a port. Btw I just picked this saw up. Will be getting massaged lol
485E6BC3-A99B-4FEC-98AB-F6B26E0B4C6F.jpeg B0B42137-797B-4556-8D5F-6C8B9A0C8241.jpeg

So finished up matching the exhaust and intake only to find a small crack in the intake block. So hopefully I’ll get the new one in a week.

One thing I noticed was interference with the screws on the bottom of the carb and case that causes the cylinder tone about 1/16” high from sitting flush. Is it fine to grind pretty deep Into the case right below the carb?

Also, on the faces of the intake block, it has some ridges that surround the impulse and the main air tract. In order to get the intake block to match up with the ported intake, it will require grinding past that ridge.
Am I able to sand that ridge flush with the face of the block and make a gasket to seal it?
0d8173816261393cd6b0fd547e1647d7.jpg

While I wait for the intake block, I will Work on filing the flywheel key to advance the timing.

So finished up matching the exhaust and intake only to find a small crack in the intake block. So hopefully I’ll get the new one in a week.

One thing I noticed was interference with the screws on the bottom of the carb and case that causes the cylinder tone about 1/16” high from sitting flush. Is it fine to grind pretty deep Into the case right below the carb?

Also, on the faces of the intake block, it has some ridges that surround the impulse and the main air tract. In order to get the intake block to match up with the ported intake, it will require grinding past that ridge.
Am I able to sand that ridge flush with the face of the block and make a gasket to seal it?
0d8173816261393cd6b0fd547e1647d7.jpg

While I wait for the intake block, I will Work on filing the flywheel key to advance the timing.
On mine I had to grind a little under the carb to get it all lined up.

Copy. I feel that I might have to grind the screws and case down quite a bit to get it to fit.

But the timing advance is done so while I wait for the new intake block I’ll add the second muffler port.

-also I’m wondering if it would be wise to change the crank seals. What would be an indicator of that?

On mine I had to grind a little under the carb to get it all lined up.

Yes you’ll have to when lowering the jug that much.

Do a vacuum and pressure test to see if the seals are still good. I can go into detail about that later but there’s a lot of info about that on the web

Latest posts

Back