porting on my 2171

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northcut2171

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I am looking to get my 2171 ported, i have talked with walker's and another place online called "zombie performance" both charging a hefty price for something im sure i could do on my own with a few general guide lines, like how much is too much and what not to do. Any tips or pics would be great help

If you do a search in this section and over in the chainsaw section right above this one will give you a lot of reading. Basically you want to leave about .100 on each side of the piston skirt when you widen the intake and exhaust. Don't raise or lower the exhaust. Make sure you leave a chamfer or bevel on the exhaust port to keep the rings from catching. You can widen the transfers towards the intake about .100 also.

I forgot about that. You need to check the squish and make sure you can. I shoot for around .020-.023 squish.

I use .065 soft solder wire and a set of calipers from lowes to check the squish. Use 2 pieces and go opposite of each other so the piston can't rock one way and give you a false reading. The BB seem to be hit or miss. The quality of the plating seems to be good on some and bad on others. They will replace it if there's anything wrong with it though. You could get the xpw cylinder and piston. Its 75cc Mahle cylinder. I put a BB on another 372xpw I had and it ran good. I don't know about longevity as I didn't keep it that long after I put it on there.

Last edited:
Yeah there is a 372 xp which is just like your 2171, and they have a 75cc version that comes with a full wrap handle. It will set you back about $300 though vs the $130 or so for the BB. Is your cylinder in bad shape?

Im going to buy the BB kit from baileys and do a mild port on it, I think that should accomplish what im looking for, i was also wondering if i would benefit at all from the unlimited ignition coil or if thats only necessary for a more extreme mod job.

The non limited module allows tuning out of the cut.
Even though your in the right forum, most visit "Chainsaws".
When you get your kit, post a new thread asking for assistance through your build.
I like these kits and with a little work will surprise you with the results.

Back