POS MS880 Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

porky616

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i looked but couldnt find a thread dedicated to having a whinge about the ms880, so i started one. no doubt im gonna cop it but so be it. after saving a heap of cash i finally got a new ms880 fitted a 36" bar and full skip 404 carlton chain. plan was to take the pressure off my 066 in the bigger timber. first tank of fuel and the carb was full of dust and crud. $120 for the hd filter kit, first filter tore before i got to use it, finally got one on it and bingo dust stopped. time to get serious i thought, but oh no, no no a poorly made retaining washer on sprocket kept throwing circlips off. new washer and clip and off we go again, time to cut some timber and make some money but oh no, clutch keeps filling up with fine dust and oil. so it now seems i have to clean the filter and clutch after each tank of juice or run the risk of everything going to :censored:
starting to wish now id spent the money on an old crosscut saw, 880 spends more time in the shed waiting to be cleaned or waiting for parts.

What are you cutting? A lot of fine dust??? Wouldn't a sharp chain produce nice big chips??? I don't think it is a POS, you have some harsh conditions there though....

Last edited:
Just because some one has to say it... You can feel free to send that POS over to me... I'll test it and confirm what your saying... then store it until they come up w a fix all of these problems... :hmm3grin2orange:

What are you cutting? A lot of fine dust??? Wouldn't a sharp chain produce nice big chips??? I don't think it is a POS, you have some harsh conditions there though....

dont bring up the sharp chain thing again, i swear im gonna need a straight jacket if i hear that again:hmm3grin2orange:

Just because some one has to say it... You can feel free to send that POS over to me... I'll test it and confirm what your saying... then store it until they come up w a fix all of these problems... :hmm3grin2orange:

give me an address, im only a dummy spit or two away from it going on fleabay

So how does it cut? Its been said before that if you want to cut faster with a 880 you need a huge tree and huge bar.

Gotta give some molre details ie. type of wood.

QUOTE=porky616;2278144]dont bring up the sharp chain thing again, i swear im gonna need a straight jacket if i hear that again:hmm3grin2orange:[/QUOTE]

:hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2: LOL!!!!!!

dont bring up the sharp chain thing again, i swear im gonna need a straight jacket if i hear that again:hmm3grin2orange:

:hmm3grin2orange::biggrinbounce2: LOL!!!!!!

You know its funny, I thought about the sharp chain comment, but given the age of his 880, what hes running for saws, and his post count... he already knew he needs sharp chain... so I took the high road and offered to take what ales him off his hands :laugh::biggrinbounce2::laugh:

all you aussies do is whine about your stihl saws. if they are such a bad saw, then why do continue to buy them? i am not trying to start a pissing match here. all we hear is the price is too high,crappy filtration,junk this,junk that. i run all stihl saws,but we sell husky,and i work on husky saws. i can buy them at dealer cost,but i continue to run stihl. in your opinion if stihl is junk,then what is husky?? go buy a husky and run that,then you will know just how it is to own a poor piece of equipment. huskys' are fast,but they will NEVER equal stihl in quality or durability. they have poor marketing,no dealer support,and the parts network is a joke. they have 3 all new models coming out,and they are worse than the ones they are replacing. look at all the 028,034,044,056,076,084 still cutting out there. huskys' are in the dumpster when they are 4-5 yrs. old.

Us Aussies have said it before, and I'm gong to say it again.

Sorry, but you fella's in NA ('cept maybe in SoCal, NM, Az) just don't understand what our timber cuts like.
No matter how sharp the chain, the dust can be unbelievable, depending on species and area.

porky, we need a link to some of Matt's vids where he's cutting some Red Gum. ;)

and i suppose you don't want to hear I was cutting some bloody hard, dense old dead Box tonight about 48"+ with a 7900 and 30" bar and it just ate it without an issue :D

Last edited:
Yay another peeing match:sucks:

Porky was simply stating that he doesnt like some of the designs on his 880.
And there is a difference in price from here to there.
And the wood is different- ie. more fine dust.

And my Huskys are still kickin, and they are all aged.
If youd like to check out the 254,262,266,272,288,2100,394 that are still cutting wood.

Brand preference is what is comes down too.

Porky, were your problems with the washer covered under the warranty?

all you aussies do is whine about your stihl saws. if they are such a bad saw, then why do continue to buy them? i am not trying to start a pissing match here. all we hear is the price is too high,crappy filtration,junk this,junk that. i run all stihl saws,but we sell husky,and i work on husky saws. i can buy them at dealer cost,but i continue to run stihl. in your opinion if stihl is junk,then what is husky?? go buy a husky and run that,then you will know just how it is to own a poor piece of equipment. huskys' are fast,but they will NEVER equal stihl in quality or durability. they have poor marketing,no dealer support,and the parts network is a joke. they have 3 all new models coming out,and they are worse than the ones they are replacing. look at all the 028,034,044,056,076,084 still cutting out there. huskys' are in the dumpster when they are 4-5 yrs. old.

Oh dear, we've offended STD again.
Happens everytime someone thinks a Stihl saw may not be perfect..... :welcome:

Thats one nice solid lump of wood Brad :)

This photo is of a good mate of mine in Dareton, New South Wales who has basically the same chainsaw and tree felling business I do. He does a lot more firewood than me though. Here he is with his 880 and 36" GB hard nose bar on a nice solid lump of Redgum. For interest's sake he is sick of lugging an 880 around and is selling it. He actually wants to buy that modded 660 that Brad built for me. It hasn't even arrived yet. He is even going to drive about 100 miles just to give it a run. He's excited about the modifications :) This guy is one of many who filed warranty claims with Stihl for dust getting through his 880 filter and was successful in having the standard filter replaced with the Extreme Conditions kit.

Sounds interesting?

Oh dear, we've offended STD again.
Happens everytime someone thinks a Stihl saw may not be perfect..... :welcome:
absolutely NOT ofended at all,just stating my opinion. for the record,stihl saws are perfect. that is why they are #1 worldwide!

So which saws have the best filtration systems for that dusty Aussie wood? Does the 880 filtration suck that bad, or are they ALL bad? :)

Latest posts

Back