POS MS880 Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an ICS 633 GC which I converted to cut big wood 60" and is actually an Oleo Mac 999F. It has a better air cleaning system than my Ford Expedition! I don't know what junk is.

LOL, you know thats an interesting idea... For these guys in Aus... have you thought of getting concrete saws and converting them to wood? they have better air filtration systems... they might fair better...

Maybe you are using the wrong chain. Try using chipper chain. It cuts a little slower, but produces less dust and stays sharper longer. In those dusty conditions one should clean the air filter everyday anyway. I have a 088 and feel that it is a decent saw, but I have not put it under the conditions that you describe. I do not understand why the 880 is getting anymore dust around the clutch than any other saw.

I clean my stihls after each tankfull, some times sooner. So what? Live with it. Maybe bring along a small portable air tank to a big job to keep the saw clean.

The 395xp has a HD filter, air injection, and external clutch. Bottom line is buy a Husqvarna, you'll spend less time cleaning and more time making money.

Heck, it takes all of about 30 seconds to remove it, beat thr dust out, and put it back. Not costing me any time to do this. Every 2-3 tanks seems good for mine.

So which saws have the best filtration systems for that dusty Aussie wood? Does the 880 filtration suck that bad, or are they ALL bad? :)

Well, Husky recommend filter oil on the 3120 filter otherwise warranty is void ;)

They all suffer, no one brand is immune but Huskies HD filter seems OK, and the Stihl extreme conditions filter works well, but you have to pry it out of Stihl or pay through the nose for the upgrade and the Dolmar/Makita HD kit does work very well but is stupidly expensive here and should be standard fitment.
Hell, Stihl dealers were warning customers off the 361 in some areas, it just couldn't cope, far too much garbage passing through leading to warranty claims.

Different story on the coast, rainfall is much higher, timber cuts a little cleaner.

Sorry, but you fella's in NA ('cept maybe in SoCal, NM, Az) just don't understand what our timber cuts like.
No matter how sharp the chain, the dust can be unbelievable, depending on species and area.

If it is anything like cuttin' timber with volcanic ash imbedded in the bark (volcanic ash = Mt. St. Helens)... I feel for ya mang!

Could go through a chain in about 2 hours... and thats including sharpening the friggin' thing every 3 cuts.

Gary

some very valid points from all, but why should i have to carry a heap of extra gear for the 880 when i can an use my old 066 without one ounce of trouble. i would have liked to bought an oleo mac but when the 880 came up for $1000 bucks off retail and brand new i thought bargain. it was an insurance claim from a shed fire, the old bloke in melbourne found it too big to prune his roses. and as for pulling it off and just blowing out the dust, haha i wish i could but when its dust and oil and its all packed in around the clutch and brake it takes a little longer. and for the record im having a moan about the design of the saw the DESIGN! the thing cuts like indian curry through a dunny bowl and i find my self leaning back when it gets a good bite into the wood. maybe i should just keep it for cutting green softwoods down south in winter while the wood is damp. hopefully i will have an old homelite 1050 auto next week to back up the 880, all ready got the old pm270 ready to roll.
and what started all this rage, well it was the straight shot of brake cleaner to the eyes whilst cleaning the clutch last night, much easier to carry a pressure back of spray than an air commpressor.
and i must say i can see very very well this morning:hmm3grin2orange:

If it is anything like cuttin' timber with volcanic ash imbedded in the bark (volcanic ash = Mt. St. Helens)... I feel for ya mang!

Could go through a chain in about 2 hours... and thats including sharpening the friggin' thing every 3 cuts.

Gary

wow that would be tough, ive seen what volcanic rock does to earthmoving gear, id hate to put a chain ito the stuff

some very valid points from all, but why should i have to carry a heap of extra gear for the 880 when i can an use my old 066 without one ounce of trouble. i would have liked to bought an oleo mac but when the 880 came up for $1000 bucks off retail and brand new i thought bargain. it was an insurance claim from a shed fire, the old bloke in melbourne found it too big to prune his roses. and as for pulling it off and just blowing out the dust, haha i wish i could but when its dust and oil and its all packed in around the clutch and brake it takes a little longer. and for the record im having a moan about the design of the saw the DESIGN! the thing cuts like indian curry through a dunny bowl and i find my self leaning back when it gets a good bite into the wood. maybe i should just keep it for cutting green softwoods down south in winter while the wood is damp. hopefully i will have an old homelite 1050 auto next week to back up the 880, all ready got the old pm270 ready to roll.
and what started all this rage, well it was the straight shot of brake cleaner to the eyes whilst cleaning the clutch last night, much easier to carry a pressure back of spray than an air commpressor.
and i must say i can see very very well this morning:hmm3grin2orange:

2 things... i took some break cleaner to the eyes earlier this summer, DAM does that hurt!!! Second... I'll trade you an 066 for your 880 ;)

air filters

i sometimes wonder if in really harsh conditions if a remote back pack or belt mounted filter would help . i sometimes use a remote filter for spraying and they are not that big a hassle . be easy enough to work out a quick connect tube with a spring loaded flapper valve to close it off when the remote filter is not being used . could be handy on a mill or some of the big dry logs .
even on the coast i often need to clean the filter every second tank on my 460 , currently thinking of getting maxi flow from baileys to see if that helps , put a new stihl filter on last week but it could be better . old dead hard wood on the ridges here will take the edge of a chain pretty quick and even very sharp will still send out a lot of fine sawdust . i generally blow all my saws clean with a compressor at the end of every day and have to clean bars regularly as fine sawdust clogs oiler feed . cut up a dense ridge grown bloodwood yesterday that is only 25" across but hard as hell , starting to wonder if it has been hit by lightening and baked, will take the 660 and see if it likes it better.

all you aussies do is whine about your stihl saws. if they are such a bad saw, then why do continue to buy them? i am not trying to start a pissing match here. all we hear is the price is too high,crappy filtration,junk this,junk that. i run all stihl saws,but we sell husky,and i work on husky saws. i can buy them at dealer cost,but i continue to run stihl. in your opinion if stihl is junk,then what is husky?? go buy a husky and run that,then you will know just how it is to own a poor piece of equipment. huskys' are fast,but they will NEVER equal stihl in quality or durability. they have poor marketing,no dealer support,and the parts network is a joke. they have 3 all new models coming out,and they are worse than the ones they are replacing. look at all the 028,034,044,056,076,084 still cutting out there. huskys' are in the dumpster when they are 4-5 yrs. old.

All I've ever seen you do here is try to start a pissin' match.
Stihl's great, Husky's junk, Dolmar's crap. The list goes on.
I'll give it to ya, Stihl makes a good saw. But what about all those 2100's, 285's, 288's, 60's etc. etc. etc. that are still running.
You'd probably gripe if we hung you with a new rope.

Andy

Oh Gary, I have broad shoulders... and a good sence of humor... Only thing I don't handle well is people taking food from me... or stealing...:cheers:

but seriously... brake cleaner and carb cleaner SUCK when you get them in your eyes... oh my do they hurt... fwiw carb cleaner will clean up a saw awsome... just be careful it makes the paint or powder coat soft, so you need to let it re harden...

SO far I'm not a fan of the 880, for being a like new saw it sure has caused me a lot of grief. For as big as the saw is it sure is a big old turd in the wood. I really think mine is a POS, boggs out really easy, you have to have a light hand with it. I ran a stock 3120 and it seemed to have all kinds of power compared to my 880.... Just saying.

Latest posts

Back