POS MS880 Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
So which saws have the best filtration systems for that dusty Aussie wood? Does the 880 filtration suck that bad, or are they ALL bad? :)

All the standard filters suffer on saws over about 75cc by all accounts and many under. The only non oiled HD filter setups that will keep gear like dead, dry Redgum dust at bay are the Stihl Extreme Conditions kit plus their new "Uni-Filter" fix and the HD Dolmar kit which is excellent and my pick of the bunch. My Husky 390's fail (even my new one on Casuarina dust which is pretty easy to stop by comparison), my 3120 would fail too except that I have always run filter oil. Stihl 660's have also had problems but to a lesser extent than the 880.
880's cop more flak simply because they are generally used in harsher conditions (like firewood cutting and milling). As BobL has mentioned, and I believe he is correct - larger cc saws like the MS880/3120XP have a larger airflow hence their ability to pull finer particulates through filter material (not around it) is more pronounced than a 30cc smaller MS660/395XP.

They put the HD kits on the Dollymars :monkey:

Maybe Al has it all figured out, his sig seems to be mostly Huskys :D

I think you'll find that Al's 385XP and 395XP also suffer from dust where as his 372XP's don't. Interestingly my mate who has just sold his 880 and bought my 660 had filter issues on his 365XP Husky as well. The fix was a 372XP filter setup by the dealer. What the difference is or if any modifications had to be done I wouldn't know but he said it worked a treat.

Well, Husky recommend filter oil on the 3120 filter otherwise warranty is void ;)

They all suffer, no one brand is immune but Huskies HD filter seems OK, and the Stihl extreme conditions filter works well, but you have to pry it out of Stihl or pay through the nose for the upgrade and the Dolmar/Makita HD kit does work very well but is stupidly expensive here and should be standard fitment.
Hell, Stihl dealers were warning customers off the 361 in some areas, it just couldn't cope, far too much garbage passing through leading to warranty claims.

Different story on the coast, rainfall is much higher, timber cuts a little cleaner.

When I was cutting in nice green forest conditions in Tasmania last year I finally realised just how good conditions can be for filters. I can also see why guys that cut in conditions like that never have filter complaints.

If it is anything like cuttin' timber with volcanic ash imbedded in the bark (volcanic ash = Mt. St. Helens)... I feel for ya mang!

Could go through a chain in about 2 hours... and thats including sharpening the friggin' thing every 3 cuts.

Gary

Mate that would also make short work of a motor too if getting through the filter! I think you may just understand some of the crap we have to cut here Gary :cheers:

What makes the trees down under so hard? Climate?

Species is the biggest thing but also the drought like conditions they grow in. If you were to, lets say cut a dead Redgum where Porky is then cut a dead Redgum in a higher rainfall area then there is no comparison. Some of these trees have growth rings that close they are very hard to distinguish.

Last edited:

MCW

Somebody's talking crap here & it ain't the tree!
Here you go Rick - the video you mentioned of brand new GB (Carlton) Semi Chisel on my 7900. This is the sort of dust common with many Aussie Hardwood species. Unsure of this species but just as bad as Redgum. I'm like Porky, every time I hear a "you need to sharpen your chain" comment I want to fill the room with uppercuts. There is a far wider range of cutting conditions than just lush green forests with full chisel chain. The fact that many guys here use only full chisel chain suggests that tough cutting conditions isn't a daily exercise for them - if it was their full chisel would be replaced by semi chisel. I use both but only semi chisel when the conditions are tough. Full chisel on nice green wood is good stuff though.
My fiancee was filming and nearly died :cheers:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/FtAHBuJFoMw&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/FtAHBuJFoMw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

And some piccys of dead Pinkgum dust...

24102009487.jpg

24102009489.jpg

24102009490.jpg

Note how well blocked the pre filter is and how fine the particles are...

24102009492.jpg

Oh, and none got through the Dolmar HD setup...

24102009493.jpg

I have to oil my Dolmar 5100-S filters, my 390XP/XPG filters, and my 3120XP filters.

Conditions like this are pretty hard on filters...

Pinkgum...

11042009163.jpg

Redgum...

(you can just notice the extreme conditions filter kit on my mate's 880 - now sold. By the way, he is fitting this kit to the MS660 he bought off me on Friday)

18072009341.jpg

Last edited:

BobL

No longer addicted to AS
. AS Supporting Member.
I have few problems with my 880 in dry hard Aussie wood.

Even with very progressive raker settings and freshly sharpened chain it just makes a heap of dust - there is nothing that can be done about that.

attachment.php

attachment.php

All I do is every second tankful I knock out the dust filter. This is no big deal.
I've use a 3120 in the same conditions and it is no different.

It's worth it - here's what it looks like.
attachment.php

attachment.php

belgian

belgian

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Those are harsh cutting conditions for any saw, very impressive hardwoods...

Regular filter cleaning seems mandatory, even with the best set up available.

I bet you aussies need a lot of beer after a days works to flush away that sawdust...:hmm3grin2orange:

porky616

porky616

ArboristSite Operative
went out again today with saws all clean and new looking, worked like new for the first load but the old 66 had to carry the precious 880 through again, starving for fuel now :dizzy: at least it something new this time. going to have to get one of them bar mount thingys so i can put the 880 bar on the 66, 20" was a little bit short. it still amazes me how good the little 66 is works all day with no fuss just give her a feed and bash the filter out and go for it. the precious 880 has to be fed caviar and quail eggs and kept in an air tight dust free environment and only works an hour a day. i must have got a bloody council worker saw:hmm3grin2orange:

(no offence to any council workers)

john inglis

john inglis

ArboristSite Operative
Mcw and hard wood

looking at the video reminded me that cutting here can be tricky when changing wind conditions make it hard to position yourself to avoid the worst of the fine wind blown sawdust , i actually prefer a steady breeze that lets me avoid the worst of it . very hard on the eyes and filters if your copping it bad . it does not necessarily make falling harder if the wind direction is favorable . a lot of the dead standing trees i am falling are quite dangerous when hitting wedges as the slight jarring can cause dead limbs to fall , was nearly clocked by a 2" thick branch last week off a bloodwood i dropped (not that big but from 40' up they can hurt). if the wind is in the right direction it saves having to wedge and doing the dead branch dance . i am seeing a lot of hung up widow makers lately which can be a little tricky when falling ,not to mention rotten centres which have claimed a few guys .
i am currently cleaning up a block that has a lot of ringbarked trees that the owner wants removed before the westerlies hit ,which is soon .they can blow pretty hard here . i was picked up on the back verandah one year and thrown back 10' till i hit a verandah post , spent the night in hospital with 3 broke ribs and 3 ribs loose in the sternum which made laughing fun ,worked the next day but you soon learn to push ,not pull , my mates were reading joke books to make laugh and watch me go white .

Last edited:
Stihlman441

Stihlman441

Addicted to ArboristSite
some very valid points from all, but why should i have to carry a heap of extra gear for the 880 when i can an use my old 066 without one ounce of trouble. i would have liked to bought an oleo mac but when the 880 came up for $1000 bucks off retail and brand new i thought bargain. it was an insurance claim from a shed fire, the old bloke in melbourne found it too big to prune his roses. and as for pulling it off and just blowing out the dust, haha i wish i could but when its dust and oil and its all packed in around the clutch and brake it takes a little longer. and for the record im having a moan about the design of the saw the DESIGN! the thing cuts like indian curry through a dunny bowl and i find my self leaning back when it gets a good bite into the wood. maybe i should just keep it for cutting green softwoods down south in winter while the wood is damp. hopefully i will have an old homelite 1050 auto next week to back up the 880, all ready got the old pm270 ready to roll.
and what started all this rage, well it was the straight shot of brake cleaner to the eyes whilst cleaning the clutch last night, much easier to carry a pressure back of spray than an air commpressor.
and i must say i can see very very well this morning:hmm3grin2orange:

This will help in the filtration problem.
http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=132216

AUSSIE1

AUSSIE1

Al.
Ned and Wild’s fight site Vic. Australia.
They put the HD kits on the Dollymars :monkey:

Maybe Al has it all figured out, his sig seems to be mostly Huskys :D

Sorry mate, big weekend, haven't been about.

The only saw not having an issue is the 371, but that's ported and 77cc and she sucks, so personally I don't think it's a "how hard ya suckin thing." :) To the eye, I can't see any diff with the media between the saws. I bought a cheepy filter from Bailey's so I must give that a run.

The 395xp has a HD filter, air injection, and external clutch. Bottom line is buy a Husqvarna, you'll spend less time cleaning and more time making money.

The issue is not so much with the filter clogging, but the fines passing through the media, even with the 395.

All I've ever seen you do here is try to start a pissin' match.
Stihl's great, Husky's junk, Dolmar's crap. The list goes on.
I'll give it to ya, Stihl makes a good saw. But what about all those 2100's, 285's, 288's, 60's etc. etc. etc. that are still running.
You'd probably gripe if we hung you with a new rope.

Andy

Yeah mate!

Oh DEERE, When "Brand Loyalty" transforms into "Blind Loyalty" STD is the end result.. the logical thought process suffers permanent damage.
The only cure is isolation so that the healthy don't become infected with the dreaded STD disease. :eek:

:ices_rofl:

Last edited:
parrisw

parrisw

Tree Freak
Man you Aussies got it bad for dust eh? I cut allot of Doug fir and the bark on that really throws out fine dust, I think you can see it in a few of my vids. Look at Treeslingers vid of felling that huge doug fir. If its anything like that all the way through the cut, that sucks.

BarkBuster20

BarkBuster20

Addicted to ArboristSite
You know... back when the mountain blew here all the guys on the west coast were introduced to cutting conditions just as bad if not worse than you guys in aussie...bit before my time.. but theres a lot of old timers on here.

Latest posts