POS MS880 Design

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Matt, wasnt Bobl asking which piece WASNT native ????

Yeah good point Serg and thanks for the correction :cheers: I just looked it up as I didn't think we had any Oak species native to Australia and we don't. Apparently 30 native tree species are commonly called Silky Oak. I really need to do more tree homework ;)

Yeah good point Serg and thanks for the correction :cheers: I just looked it up as I didn't think we had any Oak species native to Australia and we don't. Apparently 30 native tree species are commonly called Silky Oak. I really need to do more tree homework ;)

Around here Grevillea Robusta is commonly called 'Silky Oak'.

I have one growing outside the office, they do well here.

They do OK here too until they reach about 50-60 foot then they seem to die. I've dropped dozens and dozens of them for people. Always pretty soft wood too and I've never found that it's good for much.

Number 3?

Is Sugar gum

attachment.php

attachment.php

They do OK here too until they reach about 50-60 foot then they seem to die. I've dropped dozens and dozens of them for people. Always pretty soft wood too and I've never found that it's good for much.

Where we used to live, 200 miles further south, they seemed to struggle for the most part, (alluvial soil on river flats, iron stone and crappy clay soil on the hills) but around here they flourish, there's some beautiful, huge examples. (pretty much black soil, chocolate basalt)

Cabinet makers love the timber, as do wood turners.

correct, Grevillea Robusta is the tree known as silky oak...it was commanly used in window and door maunfatcure for the old Queenslanders...it is a stable timber that works well.....alot of funiture was made from it as well...it has beautiful grain and luster and its funny to see all doors and windows painted .....

thats why my mate has a big problem with common names...your can be talking about completely different species.....lucky for him he knows most of the latin names and can id them in the bush quite easily

thats why my mate has a big problem with common names...your can be talking about completely different species.....lucky for him he knows most of the latin names and can id them in the bush quite easily

yep, happens all the time.
A while back Al and I were discussing fencing timbers as I'd mentioned Stringy Bark is commonly used here alongside Iron Bark, and where Al is he said they'd never use Stringy in a million years as it's crap, too soft and termites love it so it has to be a different species.

yep, happens all the time.
A while back Al and I were discussing fencing timbers as I'd mentioned Stringy Bark is commonly used here alongside Iron Bark, and where Al is he said they'd never use Stringy in a million years as it's crap, too soft and termites love it so it has to be a different species.

I'll send you a copy of EUCLID mate. If you can get the copy working then be my guest but it is an absolute minefield and when you look up common names there are a few there with half a dozen species under the same common name. Excellent program and shows how there can be so much confusion - even the experts have varying opinions :cheers:

Latest posts

Back