Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
2zz293b.jpg
got to keep up with you guys:chop:

Zogger ya just got to grow a couple more heads, and a half a dozen more arms and legs each! Chop! Chop! Stick to one swingin' d _ _ _.

HAHAHAHA!

ehh..I will most likely stick to putzin at it. Just did three wheelbarrow fulls. Played with the dogs and some cats. Enjoyed the sun going down.

If a market shows up better...I'll get to going commercial. I can produce more if I really want to. I know I could do a cord a week. One a day would be pushing it, one a week is doable. Most likely I would buy a splitter then though, a logboss.

Here's the wood shed im currently building, its 16' long x 6' wide. I need to finish the wood stain on the horizontal slats...went with this color because it matches the chicken coop we have and helps it blend into the woods. Kinda wish I had just left it natural just pressure treated because I think painting/staining it is taking longer than the actual construction of it. Waiting on the roof panels because a friend has a bunch of left over sections from a barn roof install that he said I could have. It should hold about 5-6 cords which I have far more piled up from last summer/fall that I need to move and get stacked. With all the wood I picked up the other day from a local tree company I may be building a second one sooner than I had planned. Kinda works out tho because I was thinking about putting up a fence down the one length of my yard and this serves that purpose and keeps the wood all neat. My wood pile/splitting area surely doesn't look as neat as some of you guys! I started off with neat piles and over time and adding more and more wood and the piles falling it seems like that was a lost cause. wood shed.jpg

nice shed i usually stack mine on my the porch its a bit redneck but it saves me from using a wheelbarrow.
but im stacking around my house also as it helps insulate my old home some and cut the wind.

Thanks! Its coming along. All my wood gets moved to a wood pile on and another one under the front porch when its that time of the year. Yeah moving it around can be annoying but thats what having a son and letting him pull the garden cart around with his 4wheeler is for! I know what you mean about how it looks... but convenience is key! Funny how all my neighbors who dont really ever use their fireplaces called me last winter when the power went out here due to ice damage to the trees and hitting power lines because they could see my stacks on my porch. Fortunately they cant see my stock pile out back where I split it all.

Nice shed!

Sometimes it is easier to stain wood for things like this before construction, then go back and touch up the cut ends.

Philbert

Agree. ^. You could try a pump sprayer, and a wet roller. Roller could be the new medium nap "trim" rollers that are only an inch and a half tall and six wide instead of the old fashioned three inch models. the roller handle has a roller axle the thickness of a pencil. Works great on stains and water sealers on fences and decks, your needs are no different. Spray it on, use the roller to push it into contact well, and the roller will wet itself as you go. you'd get a consistent application and use less product

Thanks! Its coming along. All my wood gets moved to a wood pile on and another one under the front porch when its that time of the year. Yeah moving it around can be annoying but thats what having a son and letting him pull the garden cart around with his 4wheeler is for! I know what you mean about how it looks... but convenience is key! Funny how all my neighbors who dont really ever use their fireplaces called me last winter when the power went out here due to ice damage to the trees and hitting power lines because they could see my stacks on my porch. Fortunately they cant see my stock pile out back where I split it all.

If you gave them some of your firewood I hope they paid you or gave you something in return like beer?

I actually picked up a few rollers and figured it would be easier to do that way. Works for the board faces but a brush is still needed for all the little areas... It really would have been far easier if I did all the boards BEFORE building it. As far as a sprayer, its a thick solid paint stain so it would have to be one for paint. Would probably have been the best route at this point but I dont own a sprayer and cant justify buying one for this project. I really just need to make myself go out and finish it up because I refuse to put wood in the sides that arent painted because a) ill get paint all over the firewood even just painting the outside of the shed and b) ill probably tell myself that ill do it next time that bay/section of the shed is empty and then we all know that will never happen! If I do build a second one I will lay all the boards out first or maybe find out if anyone I know has a sprayer I can use for a day.

As far as my neighbors... wishful thinking TeeMan. They always seem to be the all talk type and never follow through. Oh well! Cant be too much of an a$$ tho knowing they have small kids and all so a little bit of wood as a donation to keep them warm during that storm wont kill me. But yeah I agree I always try to give back or lend a hand especially when someone does for me.

Thanks all for the positive comments. Ill be sure to post pics of it completed and full of wood. Its pretty full of oak and locust in one booth and cherry and maple in another. Subdividing it helps me keep it organized by not only type but keep track of whats seasoned and whats not.

Here's the wood shed im currently building, its 16' long x 6' wide. I need to finish the wood stain on the horizontal slats...went with this color because it matches the chicken coop we have and helps it blend into the woods. Kinda wish I had just left it natural just pressure treated because I think painting/staining it is taking longer than the actual construction of it. Waiting on the roof panels because a friend has a bunch of left over sections from a barn roof install that he said I could have. It should hold about 5-6 cords which I have far more piled up from last summer/fall that I need to move and get stacked. With all the wood I picked up the other day from a local tree company I may be building a second one sooner than I had planned. Kinda works out tho because I was thinking about putting up a fence down the one length of my yard and this serves that purpose and keeps the wood all neat. My wood pile/splitting area surely doesn't look as neat as some of you guys! I started off with neat piles and over time and adding more and more wood and the piles falling it seems like that was a lost cause. View attachment 356749

Nice lookin shed !

So, yesterday I added some 4 ties and some pallets to extend my current working stack. I had to start going through bark-on and limb to split wood, taking a break from the mambo rounds. Poking through the limb rounds pile I hear a buzz..oopss, backed off, went someplace else. Today I went back and carefully started opening it up, heard the same dang buzz! But, I found out what it was and I was really surprised, I did not know these girls made any sort of warning noise.

Attachments

• IMG_20140628_202904.jpg
    IMG_20140628_202904.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 236
  • IMG_20140628_202949.jpg
    IMG_20140628_202949.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 239
Tom, nice pics you have there. How many cds do you sell each season?? I sell 200-300 per yr.i load some pics later.Just curious do burn, or just sell??

Wowerz bowzer geez loweez that's a heap o wood you got there!

I am even more impressed you can sell it all, or that it dries in those huge stacks.

I doubt all the CL sellers around here as a group do that much product.

last year 160 this year we will cut about 300 this year getting ready to clear cut 7 acres oak and locust all big trees 4' or bigger

Tom, i live rite across long island sound not to far from ya as the crow flies.It is mind blowing the size of the red oaks in our part of the country. have fun spitting!!!! How many crds do you figure you'll cut??

Latest posts

Back