Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but that link takes me some where else. Do you have another one? I might have found it, but not sure I'm in the right place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Works here, goes right to it, the classifieds. Saws and gear for sale.

Hmmm it takes me to the homeowner helper forum with a post about cypress and maybe a canker! Lol I think I found it though. Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 cord order of willow I am working on for delivery in 2016...actually will probably wind up using it myself to mix in with my Black Locust. About 20 cord of BL waiting to be split in the background. Splitting by hand except for the tough stuff (knots/crotches) that go through the splitter or get noodled. I only put in about an hour a day to get the blood circulating again but I chickened out today - temps getting to high to suit me (high 80s, mid 90s).

Found a drawback to the Fiskars yesterday. Prop that thang in direct sun and the handle gets too hot to hold onto.

Best tools for cleaning up around a splitting area is that leaf rake an a plastic snow shovel. I like the snow shovel as it is very light and easy to use one handed.

4cord_zps91c6fb68.jpg

Harry K

Uncle, I like the supersplit but it needs some safety improvements. The bed is too flat which causes the round to roll around. You need to fasten something on the bed so the pieces can't roll around, the young lady might grab a rolling one while the plunger is striking. Something like the Speeco tray. You can see how that last big piece rolled away from the center just before she hit the plunger. She also needs to read the round before she splits it, I spent along time splitting before I finally realized how much time I could save by placing the round correctly infront of the wedge. That last piece with the branch was a good example how quickly a piece can fly out. Split the easy side 1st and leave the branch for the last. I do the same thing with nasty crotches, just work around the nasty spot and usually leave the last for an overnight block anyway. A staging table would be handy when you have that much help around. When my Dad helps me he stacks them 2 high all around me and it speeds things up but I often thought that a table would be better.

I don't always wear ppe but then reality reminds me that I should at least wear some. I consider myself lucky. I do usually wear workboots though and they have saved my toes numerous times. I don't have chaps or a helmet myself but I just bought an outfit for my daughter because she's taking a forestry course and wanted to cut some trees down with me. Might as well start her off right.

Uncle, I like the supersplit but it needs some safety improvements. The bed is too flat which causes the round to roll around. You need to fasten something on the bed so the pieces can't roll around, the young lady might grab a rolling one while the plunger is striking. Something like the Speeco tray. You can see how that last big piece rolled away from the center just before she hit the plunger. She also needs to read the round before she splits it, I spent along time splitting before I finally realized how much time I could save by placing the round correctly infront of the wedge. That last piece with the branch was a good example how quickly a piece can fly out. Split the easy side 1st and leave the branch for the last. I do the same thing with nasty crotches, just work around the nasty spot and usually leave the last for an overnight block anyway. A staging table would be handy when you have that much help around. When my Dad helps me he stacks them 2 high all around me and it speeds things up but I often thought that a table would be better.

Yes, more training is in order. You can hear me say that on the video if you listen closely.
However, I feel safer with this machine than with a regular hydraulic. The Super Split will bog down and stop if things get tight - a hydraulic will blast on through regardless and cause things to burst.

good kids, bad dad. PPE for all Daddy-O.....

Yes, we could do things a bit safer, but sometimes the burned hand learns best. I have often told them to wear gloves, shoes and hearing protection, and they sometimes show up in crocs without gloves. A chunk of wood landing on the toe is a better teacher than me.

However, when they operate the saws, then I won't let them do anything without ALL the proper PPE. That's much more dangerous and a slip can mean loss of something, rather than simply a little pain.

Impressive production line. My 5 kids are ages 1-9 right now so in a few years it's nice to see how much less work I will have to do. ;)
I love to see when kids help dad. I have trouble getting my 12 year old to help stack.

Yes, more training is in order. You can hear me say that on the video if you listen closely.
However, I feel safer with this machine than with a regular hydraulic. The Super Split will bog down and stop if things get tight - a hydraulic will blast on through regardless and cause things to burst.

Yes, we could do things a bit safer, but sometimes the burned hand learns best. I have often told them to wear gloves, shoes and hearing protection, and they sometimes show up in crocs without gloves. A chunk of wood landing on the toe is a better teacher than me.

However, when they operate the saws, then I won't let them do anything without ALL the proper PPE. That's much more dangerous and a slip can mean loss of something, rather than simply a little pain.

....and, they your kids, so mind my own bidness.

All I'd have to say is. "What's going to happen if to both of us if your Mom comes out and sees you dressed like that?"

Cantoo: I generally keep my left hand on top of and in the middle of the round I'm splitting until pushed into the wedge somewhat by the ram. I would not suggest Unclemoustache's daughter do that. Her hands free approach is much safer for her hands, but she is still exposed to quick releases of energy. His video clearly shows the danger of a SuperSplit with a round riding a knot off the wedge verses cuttting/splitting it when his daughter gets slapped in the stomach with a round. When I first started, and occasionally still, I have had several pieces that size do a somersault a foot high and off the table. There is a learning curve to all splitters, the kinetic splitter is somewhat different from hydraulic. Personally, with all due respect to Unclemoustache, there are way to many distractions for her with so many helping. When my son, who is 27, runs our SuperSplit I stay away from him. I watch or leave for a bit to sharpen a saw. We could be talking, or I could be cutting rounds or loading the log deck but I don't. I want him to find his own pace, no pushing, no distractions by talking to or glancing at me or what I'm doing. Side note: He works in a children's hospital and has seen things most of us probably could not stomach, and that some don't survive from. I could not do what he does.
I like the video, the kids helping, working together doing wood with dad. The reality is the machine is totally unforgiving...

Sandhill and Uncle, yeah it takes a slip or two and a close call to learn sometimes. I've made a few careless hand placements with my hydraulic too and got lucky. I try to get in the habit of grabbing the side of the rounds instead of the ends. I agree with the too many distractions too but it's also a video and she wanted to make a good show of production so I bet she normally takes a few more seconds to place things right. My Dad used to help me split sometimes and he would get a little quick on the splitter valve sometimes and I had to "accidently" drop a round or two onto his running shoe clad feet to remind him of the danger. I'm sure Unc will get things tightened down right quick.
PS, I didn't count them all but it looks like the kids have all their fingers and toes so he's doing something right.

Sandhill and Uncle, yeah it takes a slip or two and a close call to learn sometimes. I've made a few careless hand placements with my hydraulic too and got lucky. I try to get in the habit of grabbing the side of the rounds instead of the ends. I agree with the too many distractions too but it's also a video and she wanted to make a good show of production so I bet she normally takes a few more seconds to place things right. My Dad used to help me split sometimes and he would get a little quick on the splitter valve sometimes and I had to "accidently" drop a round or two onto his running shoe clad feet to remind him of the danger. I'm sure Unc will get things tightened down right quick.
PS, I didn't count them all but it looks like the kids have all their fingers and toes so he's doing something right.

My walk behind self propelled rototiller has the muffler *right* where you want to put your left hand when yank starting with the right hand

Yep, learned my ##$^%^&^$% lesson....

My walk behind self propelled rototiller has the muffler *right* where you want to put your left hand when yank starting with the right hand

Yep, learned my ##$^%^&^$% lesson....
so now you wear a glove on your left hand when starting/using it?:laugh:

Well, thought I had a good horse trade swap the other day for a used hydro splitter. The guy wanted the swap, his wife nixed it, demanded cash, which I don't have at the moment..oh well...so, to up my production in the future when my hand and arm heal up, I decided to mod the biodrive processor..with a new magnum splitting tire! Old 15" on the right, new I think 22" on the left. Added bonus, the new upgraded unit has a custom chunk missing so it will self drain and not accumulate rainwater and skeeters! It's a road tractor tire, geez, these are heavy dudes! Need a new oversize block now though, or lay some boards down on the ground.

Attachments

• IMG_20140708_192821.jpg
    IMG_20140708_192821.jpg
    130.8 KB · Views: 90
Back