Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
NDtreehugger

NDtreehugger

ArboristSite Guru
I have 2, wish I could get them togeather

attachment.php

attachment.php

stihl023/5

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Stihl023/5 I never thought of running my metal fence posts in between the wood slats of the pallets. Looks effective. I'm going to do that today to shore up a couple of my "Wood Cribs".

attachment.php

Yes it works quite well I seen it somewhere years ago and started doing it. Makes great use of thinner pallets.

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Hedge, there's a local that does that, we drove by it on the way to Boyds. Just stacks it up as high as he can reach. Seems to work well.

I might try the same this year, just gotta rescue the old crib from the grasp of them damn boxelders. Concrete floor, open sides, and a good roof, what more can you ask from a woodshed?

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
Hedge, there's a local that does that, we drove by it on the way to Boyds. Just stacks it up as high as he can reach. Seems to work well.

I might try the same this year, just gotta rescue the old crib from the grasp of them damn boxelders. Concrete floor, open sides, and a good roof, what more can you ask from a woodshed?

Kinda what I figured... Just load it like you would ear corn...:rock:

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Yeah... The corn is worth more...
Ours is long gone already...

There's thousands of wire corn cribs sitting unused around here, no one picks ear corn any more, except for a few little guys feeding a few pigs or beefers. Might as well get use out of em for something.

We used to have a 8'x50' rectangular crib that would have worked nice for firewood, but the floor was shot and no roof, so it came down a few years back. The space gets used for storage of rounds that need to be split from wood I cut away from home. Dump it there, and split at my leisure. That way I can work faster if someone has a bunch of loads they want gone.

Here's a pic of my crib from back when it was still in use, with a load of firewood behind the tractor, just to stay a little bit on topic:

attachment.php

stihl023/5

stihl023/5

Addicted to ArboristSite
Yeah... The corn is worth more...
Ours is long gone already...

See I cheat I do most corn on the cob then let it fully dry in the crib. (No cost to dry) Then I fire up the sheller for what I need, cobs then go through the chipper and back on the fields. Ever burned cobs? They burn hot. Besides you beat the snot out of a combine doing corn.:biggrin:

Hedgerow

Hedgerow

HACK
See I cheat I do most corn on the cob then let it fully dry in the crib. (No cost to dry) Then I fire up the sheller for what I need, cobs then go through the chipper and back on the fields. Ever burned cobs? They burn hot. Besides you beat the snot out of a combine doing corn.:biggrin:

1 row? or 2 row picker?
New Idea?
Done a little work on those in a past life...

geek

ArboristSite Lurker
Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.

Old school. You've been unignored. Still can't hang with even a small combine though. 20% moisture corn keeps well in a crib. Here, snow can be butt deep before it dries much below that in the field. I never shelled any though, IMHO, feeding ground ear corn to cattle/pigs gives a better flavor than straight shelled corn does. BTW, all the stalks and dirt from soybeans wear a combine a lot quicker than corn will.

1 row? or 2 row picker?
New Idea?
Done a little work on those in a past life...

Used to have a #10 until it died of old age and obsolete parts, now have a 324 out back. It's a picking machine till you try to get the cobs to go UP the husking bed on a good sidehill...

Just another temporary derail of the thread, I better go split some cottonwood and put a stack pic up before work.

Wolfen

Wolfen

ArboristSite Operative
Looking at yalls rigs, makes me think mine is ratty looking LOL but here it is anyway

Wood so far, mostly split with the 8 lb maul in the other picture, last 1/3 I have had the splitter

Here's the area where I split it at, right in that little opening area

This is what I haul it on (class 1)

This is what I haul it with (4 banger that's why the trailer is class 1)

Here's what I have left to split for this year so far (yes that's all mixed, mostly Gum and Oak)

And these are the tools I use, the axe is older than most of yall on here, I got it from my Grandfather, the Maul is the 8lb 2011 model, the wedges are 40 years old, and the hydraulic splitter is a ten ton from Harbor Freight, and so far it splits everything except what I split with the maul and axe, the Sledge hammer is only 20 years old and yes that's a ten lb one, and yes I use the tools all day when I split wood, and yes I DO sleep good that night :) The dog is my 12 week old Beagle Hound mix that saves me from snakes and brings me rabbits and squirrels :)

Steve NW WI

Steve NW WI

Unwanted Riff Raff.
Hedge is that the entrance to Levi's top secret saw shop?

Didn't get any splitting done today due to a dead splitter tractor battery. To get something done while it was charging, I brought some wood in the house. A bunch of square pine for taking the chill off. 1/8 cord there:

attachment.php

I loaded another load to bring in tonight or tomorrow:

attachment.php

I took the little 420 out and almost finished blocking the cottonwoods before I ran out of fuel. Lots of overbucking on the bigger pieces. I'll finish tomorrow with a bigger saw.

attachment.php

Here's what I've got worked up already from those cottonwoods, the front row finished will be a full cord:

attachment.php

Time to head for work, have a good one everybody!

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Finally managed to get up and collect the sycamore that I had been cutting up.
Was 2 degrees this morning and turned in to a beautiful day. Was drenched after filling her up with two loads.
I have split and have and will end up like arnie after this lot. Tested a log out and split fairly easy.

View attachment 253431
View attachment 253432
View attachment 253433
View attachment 253434
View attachment 253435

Interesting firewood rig and sycamore rounds. What sort of heater do you use?

zogger

zogger

Tree Freak
Looking at yalls rigs, makes me think mine is ratty looking LOL but here it is anyway

Wood so far, mostly split with the 8 lb maul in the other picture, last 1/3 I have had the splitter

This is what I haul it on (class 1)

Here's what I have left to split for this year so far (yes that's all mixed, mostly Gum and Oak)

And these are the tools I use, the axe is older than most of yall on here, I got it from my Grandfather, the Maul is the 8lb 2011 model, the wedges are 40 years old, and the hydraulic splitter is a ten ton from Harbor Freight, and so far it splits everything except what I split with the maul and axe, the Sledge hammer is only 20 years old and yes that's a ten lb one, and yes I use the tools all day when I split wood, and yes I DO sleep good that night :) The dog is my 12 week old Beagle Hound mix that saves me from snakes and brings me rabbits and squirrels :)

I think I like that (without ever actually seeing or trying one) nordic ski track manual biodrive hydraulic rig. IIRC HBRN, now banned, bought one and seemed to like it.

Latest posts