Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the racks, very nicely done. What's the width on those, 3ft? :dunno:

258103d1350690578-dscn2719-jpg

I gave away a rack set up like that a couple of years ago. What was I thinking. I need to find some more!

Here is my wood area. We usually get 2 traixle loads dropped off, cut one up, split it quick, and get it stacked inside. Then we cut, split and stack the other at our leisure.

IMAG0620-1.jpg

IMAG0043-4.jpg

IMAG0044-4.jpg

IMAG0046-2.jpg

IMAG0047-2.jpg

I didn't get a lot done this weekend, but I've still got tomorrow morning before work. I did manage to bring some wood into the basement though, about 1/4 cord of pine and box elder warm weather wood on the left, and some brrr cold sugar maple and hedge (Thanks again, Matt!) on the right. The dog food bag holds splitter trash for kindling. I've got about another 3/4 cord of box elder to put in there, then I'll start hauling in the oak and elm. The wood room holds about 2 cords if stacked full to the ceiling. I have some more space in the basement in the back room I use occasionally as well, can fit a couple more cords there if needed.

attachment.php

Were doing the dog food bag of kindling this year. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. Beats the bucket to death.

Here's a pic of the last load of firewood I did this past summer, never got around to posting a pic (I think...).About half Tamarack and half Poplar. I'd like to do another couple of loads like this before snow, bit I don't think it'll happen.

This is the load that took the truck AND trailer - full sized shortbox with extension, and a 6.5 x 7.5 foot box trailer, both VERY full. I had to go back to fetch the quad after dumping the wood, only about 4 miles away from the camp.

Once split and piled, I had 2 full rows of splits about 4 1/2 feet high by about 18 feet long, AND topped up the back row to the same height, which was about 2 1/2 feet high before, seen in the back of the pic. I headed out at around 12:30 or 1:00 in the afternoon, and it was split by 8:30-9:00 that night. All by hand with a Fiskars X25. I figure a full cord, left the piling until the next morning.

View attachment 258597
attachment.php

If I had left at 8 or 9 am, that would have been a full cord, cut, split, piled, in a day.

P.S. Rep sent to Steve NW WI for the help in adding pics to your posts, finally got around to reading the instructions properly ...... Easy when you know !

Last edited:
Were doing the dog food bag of kindling this year. Wish I would have thought of it sooner. Beats the bucket to death.

The neighbor at the lake (he's a Bruins fan but had a good idea and shares beer :rock:, so we let him stay) puts his kindling in one of those big flip-top Tupperware-style storage containers. Keeps it clean and dry, and keeps the yard tidy at the same time. I'm going to do the same next year myself.

Also going to try a 5-gallon pail with noodles and little wood and bark debris, mixed with diesel fuel, with a dispensing scoop for lighting the fire. We got that idea from the local cross-country ski and snowshoe club, they have a chalet with a bucket of debris and noodles / fuel mix for lighting the wood stove, works really nice !

The dog food bags work well, and when they're empty, you can fill em back up with the bark and junk that accumulates from bringing in firewood, and just toss it on the next brushpile ya burn. I've also got some 20 gallon totes full, picked em up for cheap on sale at Menards, they stack well down in the shed and the lid keeps the vermin from making nests in em. I wish I'd bought more, think they were 3 for 10 bucks or something like that. I keep looking for another deal like that but I'm not paying the 8 bucks a piece or so they normally go for.

Wagz, those are 4x4s, they used to be 4' long, dunnage that the steel at work comes in on. I really like it for this time of year, a quick hot fire when I get home at night is just right to keep the house comfy, and it lights super easy. An added bonus, due to being bark free I think, is that there's very little ash to take out. I have a 3 gallon stock pot I use for ashes, and I haven't filled it yet, have burned a 1/4 cord or so this fall.

The school district owns the property behind my house and notified me that they were going to remove a line of about 12 cherry trees. I asked if I could have the wood and they said it was no problem. I initially only wanted 5 of the trees but they talked me into taking all of them. Here's what I've done so far - all of this is cherry:

firewood1_zpsde3a292e.jpg

What I have left for next year:

photo_zpsdc96ede8.jpg

Yah, the yard next to mine's a train wreck. The woman that lives there does nothing to the yard. I haven't spoke to her since putting the wood there but I'm sure she'll have something to say about it. The bare spots in the grass are where I used to have some hemlocks and a cherry tree that spawned off the bigger ones on the school property.

This is what the stacked wood started out as:

IMG_4025_zpsbf7682d9.jpg

Last edited:
The school district owns the property behind my house and notified me that they were going to remove a line of about 12 cherry trees. I asked if I could have the wood and they said it was no problem. I initially only wanted 5 of the trees but they talked me into taking all of them. Here's what I've done so far - all of this is cherry:

firewood1_zpsde3a292e.jpg

What I have left for next year:

Yah, the yard next to mine's a train wreck. The woman that lives there does nothing to the yard. I haven't spoke to her since putting the wood there but I'm sure she'll have something to say about it. The bare spots in the grass are where I used to have some hemlocks and a cherry tree that spawned off the bigger ones on the school property.

This is what the stacked wood started out as:

That's a great score and a real pretty stack!

Wow that is a nice cherry stack.
How is cherry for burning i have some but have not burned any yet

Um, wow ! Nice row of wood there ! It'd be a privacy fence if it was another 4 feet higher !

And for the neighbor, let her beetch. When she starts whining, fire up the saw .... "What ? [brAAAAP] I can't hear you ... [waaaAAAAAAAHHHHHH] !!!!!

Cherry wood

You'll have the sweetest smelling neighborhood in town. Good score there. Just be sure to let the wood sit for a whole season first and get good and dry before you burn it.

Wow that is a nice cherry stack.
How is cherry for burning i have some but have not burned any yet

I don't have any that's really dry yet. I cut a smaller cherry tree down this spring but didn't split it till now. It burned well and smelled really nice. It's a nice, sweet smell.

You'll have the sweetest smelling neighborhood in town. Good score there. Just be sure to let the wood sit for a whole season first and get good and dry before you burn it.

That's the plan. I'm going to buy wood for this year then next switch over to what I have here.

They were going to grind all this up and dump it. What a sin!

Latest posts

Back