Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@spider - I usually keep the keys in the truck when cutting. Not sure why i jerked them this time. Its a borrowed truck from my brother so the snapped off key thing probably wouldn't be appreciated. As far as my weenie in my hand, well lets no go there...:msp_ohmy:

Got the load home before dark anyway. Might split some tonight...nah, I hear some honey bourbon calling me.

mail

Heh, the old lost the keys deal. I didn't lose mine last year, but locked the truck cause the deer rifle was in there while I went into the store, little country store, shouldn't have even had to worry about it but I did for some reason. Anywho, when I came out, the door key wouldn't work in either door. It was cold, and I didn't want to break a window out. What's a good northern Redneck to do? Dig around in the box for a wagon hitch pin, beat on the passenger door handle till the pot metal gave up, and work the latch from inside the door. Still like that today.

No, I never was a good breaking and entering guy, could never get a slimjim to work for me.

I had Thanksgiving Day to kill since my wife had to work a shift at the hospital to meet her holiday requirement. Thought I'd spend it doing something fun. I promised the Izaak Walton League I'd clean out some downed red oak. I had a great time. I used my 660 and one of my 028 Supers.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Almost lost one round down the slope into the water. Luckily it was stopped by the tree. They asked me to take ALL of the wood and not roll any in the pond.

attachment.php

This is what is left of the damage to the tree from Sandy. Too bad because there was no ant damage at all on this tree. Very healthy.

263142d1353374984-dscn9830-jpg

263143d1353374985-dscn9831-jpg

That's cherry. I just cut down 7 of them. We're you stealing all this little rhody wood from? Your place?

I volunteer my services.

That's cherry. I just cut down 7 of them. We're you stealing all this little rhody wood from? Your place?

The tree in the photos that you posted is definitely red oak. The long straight grains of the red oak could not withstand the winds from Sandy. It was about 24" in diameter at the base.

This tree was on a neighbors property just down the street from me. She is an older woman who lives alone. I offered to cut the remainder of the tree down for her and clean up what had already fallen for safety reasons, as there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. She said she was going to have to pay for someone to come in and do it. I did it for free, just took the wood. I left her some wood from trees that I cut up in last years August hurricane, and she hadn't used any of that yet. She said she did not want any of it, just wanted it cleaned up so the area looked nice. :D

The other pics that I posted looked like cherry, but the wood inside was definitely not cherry. In researching it, it really looked like birch, and a fellow member stated it was black birch. The bark was a dull gray, and had the birch bark features. It really is very hard wood and it did not split that easy. There are no grains, just solid white meat inside with a little black spot. Looked a little like white maple.

263849d1353772946-dscn9827-jpg

263848d1353772930-dscn9828-jpg

Last edited:
The tree in the photos that you posted is definitely red oak. The long straight grains of the red oak could not withstand the winds from Sandy. It was about 24" in diameter at the base.

This tree was on a neighbors property just down the street from me. She is an older woman who lives alone. I offered to cut the remainder of the tree down for her and clean up what had already fallen for safety reasons, as there are a lot of kids in the neighborhood. She said she was going to have to pay for someone to come in and do it. I did it for free, just took the wood. I left her some wood from trees that I cut up in last years August hurricane, and she hadn't used any of that yet. She said she did not want any of it, just wanted it cleaned up so the area looked nice. :D

The other pics that I posted looked like cherry, but the wood inside was definitely not cherry. In researching it, it really looked like birch, and a fellow member stated it was black birch. The bark was a dull gray, and had the birch bark features. It really is very hard wood and it did not split that easy. There are no grains, just solid white meat inside with a little black spot.

Hmmm, that's weird. So didn't smell sweet at all? I thought it looked like cherry from some didn't splits I saw in the pics, looked like cherry splits. Damn to many different kinds of trees around here lol.

That is true, as we have many different types of trees here in New England. No smell at all. I cut a few cherry trees in the past. The insides of cherry trees are usually reddish with some long grains, and a sweet smell. This tree was definitely different, and the first I have seen around our neck of the woods.

Dropped #11 and #12 of 20(+) yesterday and dragged brush/bucked to stove length today,(after working 6am-11am at the shop both days :bringit: ) still have to haul it all home to be put on the "to be split and stacked pile". This should put the total amount taken from this property at about 6 cord. All trees taken so far have been Red Oak with one White Birch "thrown in for color". :msp_tongue: Still have 10-12 trees the home owner wants taken down. :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Real nice job there. And I like the little burn pit and tree fort. ;) That is some nice looking wood. I take it that the other 2 are coming down shortly. If that stump base is a 4 gang, it will be a bugger to get out. :D

Yesterday was extremely productive.

My backyard went from looking like this...
IMAG0362.jpg

To this...
IMAG0396_zps20166dc0.jpg

Now this. Lots of oak, some cherry, ash and misc wood in there.
IMAG0397_zps6c7468d2.jpg

Heh, the old lost the keys deal. I didn't lose mine last year, but locked the truck cause the deer rifle was in there while I went into the store, little country store, shouldn't have even had to worry about it but I did for some reason. Anywho, when I came out, the door key wouldn't work in either door. It was cold, and I didn't want to break a window out. What's a good northern Redneck to do? Dig around in the box for a wagon hitch pin, beat on the passenger door handle till the pot metal gave up, and work the latch from inside the door. Still like that today.

No, I never was a good breaking and entering guy, could never get a slimjim to work for me.

Yesterday was extremely productive.

My backyard went from looking like this...
IMAG0362.jpg

To this...
IMAG0396_zps20166dc0.jpg

Now this. Lots of oak, some cherry, ash and misc wood in there.
IMAG0397_zps6c7468d2.jpg

looks like you had a fun/busy day

Real nice job there. And I like the little burn pit and tree fort. ;) That is some nice looking wood. I take it that the other 2 are coming down shortly. If that stump base is a 4 gang, it will be a bugger to get out. :D

Thanks,
Ayuh, the other two will come down as soon as I can get to them. (which could be a few weeks the way my "schedule" is loaded up :dizzy: :bringit: ) The home owner isn't too worried about the stump right now, but I will be cutting it lower when the other two come down.

Good for you NHlocal. But why are they removing all of that red oak. Is this a building lot/space you're clearing for the customer?

Thanks,
No, there's a house and garage on the lot, the home owner just wants to "open up" the yard 'cause it's heavily shaded and damp. There were a lot of trees around and close to the house. He also wants to do some landscaping and put in a new garage and needs the room. And I get the benefit of all the Oak, a few White Birch, and a few Beech. Here's a pic from a different angle.....

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back