Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok stupid question, Not because I don;t do it, but because I have never been told WHY we do it LOL
I see all these wood piles and covered areas with stacked wood under them and most of us have one thing in common, we have a cover over the top of our wood. But ever since i was a kid we didn't cover any of the sides, now I understand that is for seasoning and drying, but what if you live in a very wet area? Won't the wood on the ends stay wet and not burnable?
My tarp setup I have I can drop the sides if it start's raining, but its only temporary until I can build a proper shed, but when I do I will still have side covers that I can drop during say a hurricane sandy, or a Nor' Easter that forms off the coast. Should I just let it get wet? Cause then it doesn't wanna burn too good in the old Dalek

Ok stupid question, Not because I don;t do it, but because I have never been told WHY we do it LOL
I see all these wood piles and covered areas with stacked wood under them and most of us have one thing in common, we have a cover over the top of our wood. But ever since i was a kid we didn't cover any of the sides, now I understand that is for seasoning and drying, but what if you live in a very wet area? Won't the wood on the ends stay wet and not burnable?
My tarp setup I have I can drop the sides if it start's raining, but its only temporary until I can build a proper shed, but when I do I will still have side covers that I can drop during say a hurricane sandy, or a Nor' Easter that forms off the coast. Should I just let it get wet? Cause then it doesn't wanna burn too good in the old Dalek

I don't see anything wrong with covering the sides during a heavy storm. I have one stack like that that I drop the "flap" down over it when it is raining hard. Mostly though, my topcovers are at 50" wide (just what I have/scrounged) so just the top of the stacks gets covered.

It smells like oak :msp_tongue:
Partly red, partly white. Someone said the white was pin oak. Some oak smells ok, some not so good, even within the same variety.

Mrs is making "bookcase" noises when it's dry. We'll see. A lot of it's quarter sawn so it should be exceptionally stable. We likely won't sell it, but may trade a portion for something. We also have some dry cedar beams, and some dry "highly valuable" walnut.:)
We're also trying to scare up some decent hedge logs to mill.

Thanks for the updates. I know what you mean about good and bad smelling oak. :hmm3grin2orange: I have had some good and some BAD myself. :msp_thumbup:

I don't see anything wrong with covering the sides during a heavy storm. I have one stack like that that I drop the "flap" down over it when it is raining hard. Mostly though, my topcovers are at 50" wide (just what I have/scrounged) so just the top of the stacks gets covered.

Yea me too, when its not raining I can move the tarp completely foo 90% of the wood pile, and when it is raining I can drop the sides, during the nor Easter winds we just had that tore up New England I tied ethesides off to the bottom and all my wood stayed dry

spent 4 hours at camp today. Got some more wood for the pile. I know i need to process it all but im just having to much fun logging. My moms boyfriend helped me today really made things smoother, Usually im down their alone.View attachment 260706

spent 4 hours at camp today. Got some more wood for the pile. I know i need to process it all but im just having to much fun logging. My moms boyfriend helped me today really made things smoother, Usually im down their alone.

Very nice. What kind of wood is in the pile?

attachment.php

My next 6 years of wood.

Thats most of it. 31 cord stacked. Only 2 cord to be processed. I need to get more.

33 cords is about 1.5 years worth for me. You're going to have to get rid of some of that before it rots hint hint! :msp_wink:

Last edited:
woodshed I built from scrap wood and left overs from roofing the house in 09. I had to buy one sheet of plywood to finish it off and I tarp the opening.
2009_1025.jpg

I use half the barn for wood ( all the way to the rafters ) the other half holds splitter, tree stands and a motorcycle I picked up last January.
2009_1012woodshed0006.jpg

DSCF0304.jpg

Splitter I got in 09 and the truck that makes it all happen
2009_1012woodshed0003.jpg

woodside001.jpg

Oh and the new ride
12jiberish.jpg

Had some time yesterday to finish up some splitting.

snc010121.jpg

I think it many be time for another leaf or a set of airbags!
snc010141.jpg

snc010191.jpg

Here's today task.. i'd like to get that stuff cut up and stack off the ground for winter

snc010211.jpg

Latest posts

Back