Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
330qudu.jpg
whcgvn.jpg
next years wood about 35 cords and 70 to 100 coming

Here are two piles that a neighbor of my client made -- I expect he will burn them as is. These are 20 -30 ft. tall and about 100 ft. long!

Lotta firewood there, but there is so much in the area (WA state, where a fire went through mixed oak pine a year ago) that there is very little salvage going on, even for firewood.

Any guesses on the flame height from those piles?! IMHO, they are a bit excessive, as there are some surviving trees nearby that will die from the blast of heat when the initial flare up (fireball) happens. He better park his truck 100 ft. away too.

My own pile is pitiful; I just keep about a cord on hand under a little shed I made. I only use it to heat the office and shop, which are in a two car garage that I re-finished with an 8 ft. ceiling. Two armloads usually makes me open a window unless it is really cold. I just take dead branch wood home from jobs, and at any one time I might have Ponderosa pine, Doug-fir, white fir, scotch pine, black pine, white oak, maple, sycamore, elm, cherry, cottonwood, arborvitae, pieces of pallets I squashed to break the fall of chunks, pieces of my house I tore out for home remodels..etc. I just sift the nails out of the ash, and then spread the ash around the yard to sweeten the soil (in the winter, so the rain nails it down).

Home is heated with a pellet stove, and I have never bothered to swap out because it is damn convenient and cleaner than hauling wood in the house. Then again, if the power fails, no heat -- the internal fans are required to make it work.

I may yet put in a wood stove -- I have a wall flue in the center of the home that taps into a cinder block and brick chimney (currently venting nothing -- I have an electric hot water heater). I could tap into (for some reason, the pellet stove is off in a corner, where I never got to insulating the walls, and taps into a four inch pie that goes at a 90 angle out through the walls and then another 90 to above the roof edge -- not good for a wood stove.

330qudu.jpg
whcgvn.jpg
next years wood about 35 cords and 70 to 100 coming

That looks like what I got after Isabel
Didn't have a wood stove back then, but I had an old Sears chainsaw and I cut about 40 cords for those who needed it. Going price here is anywhere from 145 to 250, so I sold all the wood fro Isabel for 80 a cord, except for the old couple down the street I gave them 5 cords free.

That looks like what I got after Isabel
Didn't have a wood stove back then, but I had an old Sears chainsaw and I cut about 40 cords for those who needed it. Going price here is anywhere from 145 to 250, so I sold all the wood fro Isabel for 80 a cord, except for the old couple down the street I gave them 5 cords free.

thats kool i have 50 more cords on the ground to pick up and 50= in the air to come down months of work 6 days a week

Here are two piles that a neighbor of my client made -- I expect he will burn them as is. These are 20 -30 ft. tall and about 100 ft. long!

Lotta firewood there, but there is so much in the area (WA state, where a fire went through mixed oak pine a year ago) that there is very little salvage going on, even for firewood.

Any guesses on the flame height from those piles?! IMHO, they are a bit excessive, as there are some surviving trees nearby that will die from the blast of heat when the initial flare up (fireball) happens. He better park his truck 100 ft. away too.

Forgot the pic!

Here it is:

View attachment 262963

Just got another 12 cord load of birch about a week ago, but didn't have a chance to play with it till friday evening and today. I'm about 1/2 way through with it. The workers consisted of me, my wife, daughter hannah (9), daughter danika (5), and son dustin (12). Tools used were an 044, X27, and X25. My son and wife split probably 2/3rds of that pile today.

View attachment 262949

View attachment 262950

View attachment 262951

View attachment 262952

View attachment 262953

Nice outing. here are your pictures. Ron

262949d1353289374-sam_0717-copy-jpg

262950d1353289379-sam_0716-copy-jpg

262951d1353289389-sam_0718-copy-jpg

262952d1353289394-sam_0719-copy-jpg

262953d1353289398-sam_0720-copy-jpg

Back