Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow. I am nowhere near the level most of you guys are. Here are some of my feeble pictures taken from the deck and around the yard at Cassa De Whiskey_Bravo!

Saturday Morning's Work:

20131207_123519_resized_zps8abc8355.jpg

Tree is a 32" diameter red oak that I dropped with a friend a couple weeks ago behind my house. We also dropped three other red oaks roughly 20" in diameter. You can see the remains of one in the background.

20131207_123759_resized_zps9a79f27c.jpg

Bucked up one of the smaller trees into 18" rounds. Quartered them with my Brave Industries Mega Maul and then split hem further with the Fiskars X27.

20131207_123527_resized_zps822f0445.jpg

Building my first Holzhausen with all of the red Oak. Roughly 4' tall in this picture. Will be 8' tall when finished.

20131207_123720_resized_zps9eebd867.jpg

Looking a little rough in this picture, but I straightened it out this weekend.

20131207_123541_resized_zps54eb27db.jpg

One of the dogs trying to "help".

20131207_123808_resized_zps29bff4a1.jpg

Thinking about making a chair out of this stump...or a beer cooler holder.

20131207_123855_resized_zpsd13a2e0a.jpg

20131207_123859_resized_zps94a2634a.jpg

Still have A LOT of clean up to do in the front yard too!

The trusty old 346XP decided to throw a chain on me while cutting. That pissed me off. Then I lost a bar nut with no spares to be found. It was a frustrating morning to say the least. The saw has been an absolutely phenomenal tool so far, but I have really reached its limitations with most of the wood that I am cutting right now. I need to step up my game and get a bigger saw, but I can not decide which one to get or settle on a size. CAD has hit me HARD, but I can not afford multiple large saws right now.
20131207_123942_resized_zps5ae95140.jpg

Whiskey how many pallets is your Holzhausen setting on ? I would like to try making one is it very hard ?

Whiskey how many pallets is your Holzhausen setting on ? I would like to try making one is it very hard ?

Mine is actually sitting on a platform that I built out of 4"x4" posts and 2"x8" boards for decking with an 1.5" gap between them for drainage/airflow. I gathered the lumber scraps from construction projects to build it. The Platform is 8'x8' and the pile is 8' in diameter.

Building the Holzhausen really is not bad at all. Maintaining the proper pitch on the wood is the real pain of it. The key is to lay down a ring of wood on the platform/ground first to outline the structure and then stack the first layer of wood for the ring with one end resting on the base pieces. This makes the ring/body of the pile pitch in towards the center. For every 2 vertical feet that you rise, add two crisscrossing poles to give the structure some stability. I cut some tall straight poplar saplings that I had growing on my property to 8/8.5' lengths and use those. I lay them across the pile and lock the ends in with the wood stack. I also fill the center in with splits as I go. Makes the pile more stable in my very novice opinion.

As of today my pile is ~6' tall and 8' in diameter. Still need to add another 2 vertical feet. Hoping to have it done this week. It is made of all red oak.

Thanks Whiskey ! I have quite a few 4'x8'. pallets that I could use . I some wood needing to be split ( oak & hickory) when I stack I think I'll try building one. Less space and from what I've heard faster seasoning of the wood. I'll post some pics when I get started .

Sounds like you are getting more than we are here at the moment. Light snow here and no accumlation as of now. Have to wait and see.
Be safe.

Whiskey_bravo
In your pictures I see a 2-wheeled garden cart and a 2-wheeled wheel barrow. How do you like the 2-wheeled wheel barrow? Does it have an over sized "tub" on it? I'm considering one. Sweet cutting area btw.

I'll give you my two cents on the two wheel wheel barrow. It is a great thought , however if the terrain is not flat it does not work out too well. One wheel allows you to keep it level and the two wheels control the angle it is on. I would not do two wheels again , in fact I have considered converting mine back to one wheel. Tired of stuff falling out of it when loaded over the top.

Latest posts

Back