Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whiskey_bravo
In your pictures I see a 2-wheeled garden cart and a 2-wheeled wheel barrow. How do you like the 2-wheeled wheel barrow? Does it have an over sized "tub" on it? I'm considering one. Sweet cutting area btw.

It is great for non-extreme loads or when working on flat ground. Very easy to control and move. However, I found that mine does not handle heavy loads over uneven terrain well at all. When fully loaded with wood or rocks mine is an absolute bear to move around the woods. As you can see from my pictures, most of my yard is very rough. I think I bent the axle hauling some rock around the yard over the summer. The wheels do not seem to spin right anymore. I need a freaking tractor...

It is great for non-extreme loads or when working on flat ground. Very easy to control and move. However, I found that mine does not handle heavy loads over uneven terrain well at all. When fully loaded with wood or rocks mine is an absolute bear to move around the woods. As you can see from my pictures, most of my yard is very rough. I think I bent the axle hauling some rock around the yard over the summer. The wheels do not seem to spin right anymore. I need a freaking tractor...
Buy a tractor with a 84" loader. You'll never go back to a wheel barrel again. :buttkick::chop:

Another review that is less than 5 star, showing once again the value of talking with folks here. Thanks.

Another review that is less than 5 star, showing once again the value of talking with folks here. Thanks.

I got the large 2 wheel kart from my grandfather's house and that has quickly become one of my most used tools. It uses two large bicycle tires and the clearance is great for working in the woods/yard. I would highly recommend one of those for firewood moving!

I have one like yours in the picture and have been using it for over 30 years. Stores in a small space when standing on end. It is good but I'm always looking for a better way.

I got the large 2 wheel kart from my grandfather's house and that has quickly become one of my most used tools. It uses two large bicycle tires and the clearance is great for working in the woods/yard. I would highly recommend one of those for firewood moving!
That's a Garden Way Cart. Originated in Vermont. Well known and coveted in these parts.

Yes. That is the name I was searching for. I think there were 3 sizes at that time. I got the middle one and it was over $100 then. It came as a kit and I cut the plywood bottom and sides. Well worth it but I wish I would have gotten the largest size. Mine has never seen rain or abuse so it is still in very good condition. Even routinely oiled or greased the wheel bearings. No this is not an oil thread.

Garden Way was a great company. I have a Trailblazer sickle mower and a Troy-Bilt Horse rototiller. Good stuff!

I have built 4 holzhausen with short wood. 3 have collapsed. Rebuilt each time. The one with the "worm hole" is now 1/2 gone, but the one next to it never fell, and the 2 with the doofus dog are still standing after the initial re-stacks 1 year ago. Pictures are within the past year and don't looks much different than they do today.

and Whiskey….unfortunately my "educated" guess would be yours WILL collapse. Have a beer & restack. Nice pic's & great wood lot.

Merry.

Ho Ho Ho!DSCN1104.JPG DSCN2027.JPG

Garden Way was a great company. I have a Trailblazer sickle mower and a Troy-Bilt Horse rototiller. Good stuff!

I have built 4 holzhausen with short wood. 3 have collapsed. Rebuilt each time. The one with the "worm hole" is now 1/2 gone, but the one next to it never fell, and the 2 with the doofus dog are still standing after the initial re-stacks 1 year ago. Pictures are within the past year and don't looks much different than they do today.

and Whiskey….unfortunately my "educated" guess would be yours WILL collapse. Have a beer & restack. Nice pic's & great wood lot.

Merry.

Ho Ho Ho!View attachment 322333 View attachment 322334
That's bad ass, but you got way too much time on your hands :lol:

Yes…WAY too much time! But I am lazy, and round is easier than stacked corners. Except when you do it twice!!!:blob2:
Good thing Wifey took over! :chop:She is a keepah!
If I ever built one I would never want to burn it! How long would you say it takes to stack one if you have all the splits ready to go?

beerbelly i like the one with the snow; it looks very appropriate. i was going to quote you, but with all the changes recently i seem to have lost the button

If I ever built one I would never want to burn it! How long would you say it takes to stack one if you have all the splits ready to go?
It is probably not much different than doing it the conventional way but it does get more difficult the taller you stack it (you'll need a ladder!!). But I did the math, and the 2 with the dog are about 4.5 cords total, and the 2 with the worm hole were about 7.5 cords. (the unstacked pile was about 2 more). I just did them because they are cool, and the wood dries really quick. The 2 with the dog are going to stay till next year…sort of blocks my house from the road!

I Have one of those two wheeled wheel barrows. Got mine at TSC. If you are in a yard, that does not have much of a hillside you are ok. If there is a hillside forget it all bets off. I really do like mine I wouldn't trade it, I use it on my deliveries. It holds about twice the normal wheel barrow load. Like everything it has its place it can be used and can't It just depends. I have never used mine in the woods, I'm lucky I have a tractor that does the work for me there. My grandparents had one of those two wheeled carts, it's impressive how well they work.

Tonight's splitting area .

IMG_20131229_183506.jpg

Latest posts

Back