Posted on Lawnsite,What is it?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coffeecraver

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Posted on Lawnsite,What bear is it?

Not Going to Fight this Guy
Posted by: Critical Care
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here are a couple pictures on my mother’s property of some damage to trees caused by some dude that needless to say I didn’t want to mess around with.

Since some trees were totally stripped, I immediately thought that deer were to blame. But, then I began to notice all of the vertical claw marks, generally in sets of five, and these claw marks would go some distance up into the trees where even acrobatic deer wouldn’t go.

It may be hard to judge size, but those are hefty trees in the pictures. I couldn’t spread my hand wide enough to span the claw marks. What really made my hair stand up on end were the fresh droppings on the ground.
Attached Images
http://************/attachment.php?attachmentid=28187&stc=1

Last edited:
Looks like bear claws from here, if it was high enough that a bear would have to climb I would say black bear perhaps?

I would guess a bear also but to be sure, I'd give your local D.N.R. office a call. If you live in a built up area... call them asap.

Latest posts

Back