poulan 245 sa

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im the proud owner of 2 245 A saws.But I cant answer your question.Anyhow,looks like ya got a pretty good buy.Please hold,a Poulan expert will be with you soon

Yes they all use the same size rings.

Before you go that far though, do a compression check, those saws have a large starter which make them pull over pretty easy and there not real high compression saws to begin with.

If it is lower then 120lbs or so, pull the muffler to look at the P/C. If not scored and all looks good, do a vac and pressure test on it to make sure the decomp valve is not leaking. I have seen it one time and I ended up plugging the decomp off to fix it. The plunger just would not seal no matter what.

Yes they all use the same size rings.

Before you go that far though, do a compression check, those saws have a large starter which make them pull over pretty easy and there not real high compression saws to begin with.

If it is lower then 120lbs or so, pull the muffler to look at the P/C. If not scored and all looks good, do a vac and pressure test on it to make sure the decomp valve is not leaking. I have seen it one time and I ended up plugging the decomp off to fix it. The plunger just would not seal no matter what.

I will check those out when it gets here in a week or two (snail mail) thanks

thanks, I bought rings off ebay about a month ago for the two 306A that I have and they turned out to be for the 245 and I wanted to know if they would work I was also wondering if powersharp stones and chains were available or if I should just disable it.
Nick.

Well, I know where to get the stones but the chain has been obsolete for quite a while. Not worth the trouble anyway, even though it is a power sharp setup, the chains still needed some file work done to them every so often as well.

Just remove the PS stuff from the clutch cover and cover the hole with a piece of thin metal and dont look back.

I do have a restored 306SA with a complete new power sharp setup on it, but its just for show at GTG and such.

Last edited:
That is a great fix I really want to see what these saws cut like with new rings and they are not that expensive. Did they fit in the groove nicely? Also I just helped my brother put new rings in his super xl and thought briefly to try that. It is good to know they are close enough to make them work
Thanks.
Nick.

That is a great fix I really want to see what these saws cut like with new rings and they are not that expensive. Did they fit in the groove nicely? Also I just helped my brother put new rings in his super xl and thought briefly to try that. It is good to know they are close enough to make them work
Thanks.
Nick.

Yes, they're all the same thickness at 0.0625'', it's getting harder to find the old 1/16" inch American rings. Supposed to reject pistons with top groove clearances over 0.0035" (side gap) with the ring in the grooves, but these pistons are non obtanium anymore.

You'll like how these firewood getters cut, lots of torque when bucking, but at a slower chain speed.
Adjust the carbs high speed screw while in the cut, as they're all governed Tillotsons

Yes, they're all the same thickness at 0.0625'', it's getting harder to find the old 1/16" inch American rings. Supposed to reject pistons with top groove clearances over 0.0035" (side gap) with the ring in the grooves, but these pistons are non obtanium anymore.

You'll like how these firewood getters cut, lots of torque when bucking, but at a slower chain speed.
Adjust the carbs high speed screw while in the cut, as they're all governed Tillotsons

Yeah, I had to block the governor off but I have been real careful to not run them too lean and will love to get more power. I had to noodle some thirty inch diameter firewood rounds last year anh the one I was using was good but I am ready to up the torque

Yeah, I had to block the governor off but I have been real careful to not run them too lean and will love to get more power. I had to noodle some thirty inch diameter firewood rounds last year anh the one I was using was good but I am ready to up the torque

Blocking the governor off will not give more power unless the orignal was malfunctioning. What it will do is allow you to adjust the carb eaiser out of the wood but it still should be fine tuned in the wood.

Blocking the governor off will not give more power unless the orignal was malfunctioning. What it will do is allow you to adjust the carb eaiser out of the wood but it still should be fine tuned in the wood.
No that's not what I ment I was referring to the idea posed to try homelite super xl rings in the 306 not that the gov blocking would make more power. Sorry I wasn't clear
Nick

Back