Poulan/Craftsman chainsaw strange idle problem

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran mine yesterday and it did idle okay, and everytime I shut it off you'd have to gas it to start it. I didn't adjust the carb. I could also check for the acceleration fog too. I don't think I have a reed valve for this saw but there are plenty of parts on eBay. And AMMIX, that's a clean little Poulan! To be honest I would take an old McCulloch over any other brand of saw but these little top handle Poulans and Sears saws are pretty handy and light.

Read Ammix post above about how to start one of them type. Mine also requires a choke and a full throttle for a fast easy start. If it hits on full choke back off to half choke, even when hot or immediately after killing.

Main thing is a full open throttle. Use the drop saw crank method of starting.

You will most likely crank all day if you do not hold the throttle trigger wide open when trying to start.

Read Ammix post above about how to start one of them type. Mine also requires a choke and a full throttle for a fast easy start. If it hits on full choke back off to half choke, even when hot or immediately after killing.

Main thing is a full open throttle. Use the drop saw crank method of starting.

You will most likely crank all day if you do not hold the throttle trigger wide open when trying to start.
Yeah, most of the older equipment requires giving em throttle. Some of the modern Poulans and Homelites have the funky choke set up that automatically opens the choke the second you give it throttle. Not a very good design. I still have to check the arrestor screen but it's actually running pretty decent.

Latest posts

Back