Poulan Pro 5020 - Anyone Seen One?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No updates on this saw guys? Anyone else like it? Seen it? I checked out one at Sears and it looked pretty well built. Wish I had the cash, I would grab one just because :rock:

Another hunk of junk. Well atleast they left that stupid tool-less chain adjuster of it.

That's a pretty strong opinion for someone who has never seen, let alone held or used one. I find it ironic how some people discount the saw just because of the brand. My first saw was a 4620, and honestly, it is a better saw than my in-law's MS271. It came with a 20BPX chain, and though the bar is probably just a little big, it cuts just as fast, if not faster, for a fraction of the price of a 271. Husqvarna owns Poulan, and while it may not be made in the USA like some of the Stihls, you can't knock it for that because chances are the GM or Ford truck you drive because it's American made has 60-75% foreign assembled or built components in it.

Nick

No updates on this saw guys? Anyone else like it? Seen it? I checked out one at Sears and it looked pretty well built. Wish I had the cash, I would grab one just because :rock:

I've run 3 or 4 tanks of fuel through mine. A little short on being impressed possibly due to using more powerful saws on the same day. Plus no real break-in time. The main problem I have with it has nothing to do with the saw itself. It came with that Vanguard chain which I don't really like. I have several on different saws and with many sharpenings I have no idea how to handle those rakers. I gotta say though, it starts easily and runs flawlessly. I did richen it up a little, just because.

That's a pretty strong opinion for someone who has never seen, let alone held or used one. I find it ironic how some people discount the saw just because of the brand. My first saw was a 4620, and honestly, it is a better saw than my in-law's MS271. It came with a 20BPX chain, and though the bar is probably just a little big, it cuts just as fast, if not faster, for a fraction of the price of a 271. Husqvarna owns Poulan, and while it may not be made in the USA like some of the Stihls, you can't knock it for that because chances are the GM or Ford truck you drive because it's American made has 60-75% foreign assembled or built components in it.

Nick

I thought poulans were made in the us. Well... Some of them. Right?

Anyone know what this saw uses for a bar mount? If it shares the same as the PP330, I might see if I can get a 20" Poulan bar for my 330 as the 22" is a bit nose heavy and awkward.

The mount is most likely the same K041. I don't know though if it is using 3/8 like the 330 or it is using .325 like the 295/4620.

You can get a 200SLDK041 Oregon bar that is 3/8 and 20" that will fit your 330 just fine. If you want a little shorter you can get a 18" 180RNBK041 from Bailey's and they will switch the tip out from .325 to .375 for you at no charge. If you go with the 18" you will need a 64DL chain. This is providing you are running the original 3/8 size chain on it.

Well, think whatever you want to about it, it matters little to me. I'm perfectly capable of making my own judgments about what a good tool is. I have no doubt I could get a lot of work done for a lot of years with a 5020, just as I have with all my other junk and garbage, totally worthless saws.

Nick

By now you two should know better than to interject logic into a chainsaw bashing fest!!!
It's a Poulan and everyone who is anyone around here knows that Poulan=junk.

When a guy spends BIG dollars on a pro saw, that automatically gives him not only the right, but the RESPONSIBILITY to hurl acerbic blanket degradations at any saw that will do the same job for a third of the price.
Now come on guys lets get with the program.

Mike

You're right. All them yellow/black and green/black saws are junk. I am looking to acquire a "junk" 655 if anybody has one they don't want to be seen with.

Nick

I just learned something. I tried to look up where they were made, but I'm on my phone, so its not easy navigating.

Nick

By now you two should know better than to interject logic into a chainsaw bashing fest!!!

When a guy spends BIG dollars on a pro saw, that automatically gives him not only the right, but the RESPONSIBILITY to hurl acerbic blanket degradations at any saw that will do the same job for a third of the price.

Mike

Apparently this guy ^^^^^^ has never ran a magnesium poulan!! Haha. Modifiedmark should be by shortly...

Mike
Yeah, I know, but this thread's getting a little long in the tooth and I guess I was fighting the good fight. Anyway, plastic Poulans are absolutely junk, everyone should stay away from them. Horrible things. Certainly don't even consider bidding on them as you'd just be wasting your money

I'm thinking about getting some spares.......

Mike/rms61moparman, do you and Mark both own a Craftsman 5.2, or share the one? I ask because in another thread Mark posted that he ran a Craftsman 5.2 to embarrass MS460, and I've never seen a Craftsman 5.2.

yep plastic poulans are junk,that's why one rides behind the seat of my dozer 8 hrs. a day while V-blade tree planting,jumping over stump rows all day.it would probably be wiser to spend 3 to 4 times as much on a mag case pro saw that would end up in peices,but hey i would look like a pro.

Latest posts

Back