Poulan Saws which one's are the keepers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I
I could've thrown mine to you...

I have an older Craftsman/Poulan saw. I posted about it in the Poulan thread (Sticky). I just replaced all the lines, went through the carb and still can't get it to run. After fixing, rebuilding, and repairing hundreds of saws this one has me stumped. I put it over in the corner and dared it to come out when I last worked on it. (I was actually planning on giving it to my father-in-law and wanted to tune it up). Thus far it still sits in the corner quietly.
Just fought a wild thing that had me ready to pull a 45 on it, the bolts that hold the carb. adapter ( the thing in front of the carb that hooks to the cyilinder) were loose. It would fire on choke then rev high and die.

Poulan nowadays has to be some bean counter's grand plan LOL. A couple years ago I bought a Poulan leaf blower at a big box store. It worked maybe a half dozen times then refused to start or run. I took it apart and discovered that the cylinder head was supposed to be held on by only two bolts, not four (bad idea). Except that one of the bolts wasn't drilled or tapped so the head was only held on by only one bolt and that one bolt vibrated loose. I called Poulan customer service and told them that this thing was defective out of the factory. They said sorry the warranty is expired and we can't and won't help you. So I went out and bought a Stihl and have never looked back.

Bottom line I will never ever buy anything Poulan ever again in my life. Total defective junk.

it is sad that some of todays older name brands are all owned by the same company and have turned them into big box store home owner over the counter ****. It is all about the $$ and folks bailing out to get rich, Poulan, Homelite, McCulloch and many others are no longer except for the name which someone else owns.

I'll gladly run new homeowner Poulans (and I do). I find they work great and last a long time when properly operated and maintained - just like all other saws. It's just that they are far less likely to be properly taken care of.

Keep an eye out for those little XXV saws ... they cut like crazy for such a small saw and have REALLY strong compression ..
Like most Poulan saws, good cutting saws but not real good on resale value. These little XXV saws are at the top of the list for reliability but can be picked up for about $20 around here. I bought a micro 25 saw last week for $5 and had it running within a few minutes, just needed a fuel line and some cleaning and it was ready to go!

I'll gladly run new homeowner Poulans (and I do). I find they work great and last a long time when properly operated and maintained - just like all other saws. It's just that they are far less likely to be properly taken care of.

That's a BIG part of it. I bought a Wild Thing in 2006 and for about 3 years it was my only saw. It always started and ran well until the little plastic lever that activates the strato broke, then it ran like crap because the valve couldn't open the transfers. Fixed that and it ran good again. Kept using it until I sold it this year for $100. Considering I only paid $130, I used it for 8 years and sold it to a guy that loves it - I'd say that's not too bad.

Recently got this 25D. Solid, no frills unit. Only needed fuel line and carb cleaning. 25D is only ID I can find..... Is this model known by other names/#s?

poulan 25D a.jpg poulan 25D c.jpg

Back