Power output of Husky 338xp and 339xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SawTroll

Information Collector
Reaction score
I have been wondering for some time why the 39 cc engines of these saws does not put out more than 2.3 hp, not much Xtra Power in that rating.
In fact I think they have to purposely port them less than even semi-optimal, and/or put smaller than optimal carbs on them to arrive at such a rating.:bang:

My conclution so far is that they have to do it by purpose, but for what reason?:confused:

The American EPA emissions requirements. All of our saws are choked down by the manufacturers in order to meet emissions standards. We as consumers must figure out which saws can be easily restored to the maximum designed power output, then we buy those saws and modify them before putting them into service.

SawTroll said:
I have been wondering for some time why the 39 cc engines of these saws does not put out more than 2.3 hp, not much Xtra Power in that rating.
In fact I think they have to purposely port them less than even semi-optimal, and/or put smaller than optimal carbs on them to arrive at such a rating.:bang:

My conclution so far is that they have to do it by purpose, but for what reason?:confused:
Correct, Brian..and hey, good to have ya back, ya nutgatherer...Hey, could you email me the pic of that well hung skwerl in as large a file size as you have it?....puleeze!

Saw Troll, I prefer the design and power of the 335 to the 338, which has a longer curved intake boot. As well, I own two 335 Cali's, which are 45 cc's, but rate the same power as the 335's due to having the same small carb and ports. They also sound like they are missing, and seem to rev up slower, though they do have better torque. Doing mufller mods on all these saws allows them to really come alive.

Thank you for your responses!
The saw that really interest me is the 339xp as a light thinning and limbing saw, not the tophandle models.

We don't have quite as strong emission requirements here, but both of you are probably right anyway. The market here for saws in this class are probably too small to warrant making special versions. :censored:
Judging from the IPLs, even the mufflers are the same, except that the version sold here has no spark arrestor screen.

On most (probably all) larger Huskys the mufflers have seemingly less restrictive outlets on the EU models, compared to US models, but the power rating is nevertheless the same.

It is a little different with Stihl; all models up to and including the MS361 have slightly higher power ratings over here.

Does anyone know if it is possible to mount a bigger carb on these saws, without turning it into a major rebuilding project???

Another question;
Is the MS 200 (not T) a better choise, even though it is a much older construction?
The power output is rated the same here, even though the engine is smaller on the Stihl.
The price difference is of little consequence, the Stihl cost about 10% more than the 339xp.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back