Powerhorse Splitter from Northern Tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SliverPicker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
First, let me say that I am not in any was affiliated with Northern Tool or whatever (Chinese?) company that makes these splitters.

The local nursery has one of these splitters that they bought (I believe) three years ago. I was a bit skeptical when they bought it and rode the foreman over there repeatedly about their choice of equipment. Well I have been eating crow lately. The nursery's PowerHorse splitter has performed flawlessly since they bought it despite getting exactly ZERO maintenance. This week the thing surpassed 200 cords split and has never missed a beat. It gets no grease, no fluid or other oil changes and sits out in the weather uncovered for months at a time. I have run their splitter for a couple of 8 hour shifts and was impressed. Being a two-direction splitter it is much fast than any other hydraulic splitter I have ever run to boot. The splitting wedge on the thing is a lower profile (thinner) than most which seems to really help with the speed of the splitting. I have just contracted to clear 10 acres, just me and my saws. I will sell all the wood cut as firewood (100s of cords). I will be buying one of these splitters in the next month or so. I will try to give an update or two on how well it holds up to the work load.

Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

First, let me say that I am not in any was affiliated with Northern Tool or whatever (Chinese?) company that makes these splitters. The local nursery has one of these splitters that they bought (I believe) three years ago. I was a bit skeptical when they bought it and rode the foreman over there repeatedly about their choice of equipment. Well I have been eating crow lately. The nursery's PowerHorse splitter has performed flawlessly since they bought it despite getting exactly ZERO maintenance. This week the thing surpassed 200 cords split and has never missed a beat. It gets no grease, no fluid or other oil changes and sits out in the weather uncovered for months at a time. I have run their splitter for a couple of 8 hour shifts and was impressed. Being a two-direction splitter it is much fast than any other hydraulic splitter I have ever run to boot. The splitting wedge on the thing is a lower profile (thinner) than most which seems to really help with the speed of the splitting. I have just contracted to clear 10 acres, just me and my saws. I will sell all the wood cut as firewood (100s of cords). I will be buying one of these splitters in the next month or so. I will try to give an update or two on how well it holds up to the work load.

Powerhorse Horizontal Dual Split Log Splitter — 20-Ton, 208cc | Log Splitters | Northern Tool + Equipment

Hi SilverPicker. Even though I don't own one, I've always liked that little PowerHorse dual action splitter, and made a few posts about it. If I ever have the need for a new splitter, it will be this one. Looking forward to your extensive review of it.

Don <><

attachment.php

I looked at them but there is no outlet in Colorado and the shipping was too much.

They look very nice and have good reviews.

OP, I looked at those splitters before buying my 35 ton Speeco, and to be honest with you I discounted it after spending ten minutes looking at one. They appear to be very flimsy in construction, and just a little on the lightweight side. But I am glad to hear from someone that has actually seen it put to the test over a period of time, and found it a trust worthy piece of equipment. As they say, the proof is in the pudding! Let us know from time to time how it works for you when you get your own.

I am going to be nose to the grindstone when I start this job, but I will attempt to do a detailed review as soon as I am able. Look for a review sometime in, perhaps, June.

I will check it out. Thanks for the link. The problem is that I am making 87% less $ than I did 5 years ago. My last 5 years of combined gross income are less than what I made in 2006 alone. Things are tough. I have to keep my expenses to an absolute minimum.

I will check it out. Thanks for the link. The problem is that I am making 87% less $ than I did 5 years ago. My last 5 years of combined gross income are less than what I made in 2006 alone. Things are tough. I have to keep my expenses to an absolute minimum.
Then that rules out the tempest. One day, over the rainbow, one of the regulars will buy one and we'll get some great reviews on it.

I like the concept, but for the life of me can't buy off on the China-Mart builds. If you got a deep pocket (or two) check out the Tempest splitter. Same concept but with a box wedge and a bigger price tag.
Their videos don't do such splitter justice, I suspect. Things look like they are moving pretty slowly but if the operator could keep the machine fed with at least two rounds each stroke, then it's producing a decent amount of wood.

Outfeed tables should be grates. Needs auto return hook to eliminate user moving rounds back onto table for the most part. Trick is will it need two conveyors or perhaps would be best used when space isn't a premium and the logs/rounds can be positions such that it is backed through the piles leaving windrow piles of wood to dry out?

Price is about the same as a logrite enhanced super split set-up. If geeting mostly bean poles, I'd prefer the logrite, otherwise the tempest.

How are the multi-SS plans coming along?

Latest posts

Back