Powerlines in the way for a crane pick---

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ForTheArborist

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
These pics are bad. Sorry about that. I snipped them off of the google maps street viewer. Works just as well, and I was there myself today, so I know the pics are legitimate.

There are two Eucs there between the houses and tucked far below street level. Those houses both have patios off of the hillside 3 stories down the steep hill from where the pics are taken, and the hill rolls down from there. These trees are poking up from there down there. There is less than less than a 15' space between each house with much less than that to actually work with. The biggest Euc has a 3' dia trunk and is 100' high x 60' wide.

I'm just wondering if you all get a lot of these situations with the street lines in front of the house as you pick trees from behind the house. It's not a very wide street, but it's not strangely narrow either to set the crane back far enough to get over the lines.

Between the houses
MarksEucs.jpg

From in the street looking over the top of the house.
MarksEucs2.jpg

from the pics it looks like a boom would be flirting with the primaries. I'd price it to rig down by hand

Interestingly down here most of our power lines are set in front of the homes on the nature strip as such not as US often get in a rear easement or lane way. It makes for a tricky task and great care with lines vs tree. If your trained in working around power lines you;ll understand, if not best get some who is qualified or skilled (or foolish enough to try) Id the voltage 1st... it looks to be LV or US 110/220v so a dry limb touching line can be Okish but yourself and gear no way.
Looks like a lemon scented gum tis easy to work nice to cut but snaps the back cut fast so beware cut n hold is hard to predict. You'll spur climb rope dismantle as crane ain't going to help much unless afford costly line cover or shutdown power.

No wait thats a transformer at top the pole so its gonna be HV stay clear and keep limbs off lines as well.

Last edited:
Well, sounds like a load of problems. I'll expect the operator to say the same when he takes a look.

Alright, thanks for the insight...

Of course blocking down wood that's right against the house is no picnic either. Don't see any possible speed line application from the pics. Hmmm..... I love a good challenge like that

They can insulate the primaries for close boom proximity. Call the power provider usually takes them a while

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

They can insulate the primaries for close boom proximity. Call the power provider usually takes them a while

That's a good start, but FTA are you trained to work around power lines is the first question? Have you taken an EHAP course or related training, or have any experience owrking around conductors? Those are 2 trees a person that has no formal training or knowledge of should not be messing around with. Especially if you have to come on here and ask about it. Think about that first. Whatever route you take, stay safe!

There are two Eucs there between the houses and tucked far below street level. Those houses both have patios off of the hillside 3 stories down the steep hill from where the pics are taken, and the hill rolls down from there. These trees are poking up from there down there. There is less than less than a 15' space between each house with much less than that to actually work with. The biggest Euc has a 3' dia trunk and is 100' high x 60' wide.

Those eucs look they are about 35 feet tall and 18inch dbh. They are no bigger then the utility pole and about twenty feet taller then that one story house. Do you really do tree work, personally I think you are 19 your old fat kid that posts when he gets bored playing x-box.

That is a cake job. You don't need a crane. You might need a permit to have all that staged up on the street. Just rig it down. This is San Diego, if you can't handle that then stick to old laddies fruit tree's.
Jeff

Those eucs look they are about 35 feet tall and 18inch dbh. They are no bigger then the utility pole and about twenty feet taller then that one story house. Do you really do tree work, personally I think you are 19 your old fat kid that posts when he gets bored playing x-box.
I think you missed the part about where the level the pics are taken is actually three stories above the base of the tree so if those things are rigged down you would have to hump it up to the top...

FTA, is there even a way to the top without going through the house? my depth perception may be off do to the fact its google maps but it looks like you could set a crane up on the street and reach with about 130-150' of boom no problem not sure how much room there is on the street because of lines that cross the road but if you had to you could take some nice easy to handle/straight chunks off and just land them right in the road. just dont pull the crap our climber does sometimes, taking the biggest possible piece off the tree does not make it go faster if you can set it down!!! (stupid mexicans)

Climb it, notch it and watch it. 'Nuff said.

Why waste the HOs money on a crane if you can climb?

I haven't done that in years - it used to be free but I think they charge a good penny to do it now, around 300$ last I remember

Last edited:
I think you missed the part about where the level the pics are taken is actually three stories above the base of the tree so if those things are rigged down you would have to hump it up to the top...

FTA, is there even a way to the top without going through the house? my depth perception may be off do to the fact its google maps but it looks like you could set a crane up on the street and reach with about 130-150' of boom no problem not sure how much room there is on the street because of lines that cross the road but if you had to you could take some nice easy to handle/straight chunks off and just land them right in the road. just dont pull the crap our climber does sometimes, taking the biggest possible piece off the tree does not make it go faster if you can set it down!!! (stupid mexicans)

I think it can be done, but the boom has to be at a higher angle because of the lines. With the boom that high, we'll need extensions. 130-150' should be OK. Since we aren't going to try and shoot for picking the whole thing all at once :dizzy: it doesn't have to be so big of a crane, and a smaller crane can fit on that street easily.

I'm going to see what the crane ops and the electric co. say just to see what they understand about the mechanics involved in this sitchiation and about the regs too. :phone:

What is at the bottom of the slope behind the houses? Is there an access road? It might be cheaper, safer and easier to take them down slope. First the lower one then the one closest to the street. Remove the brush carefully then do a vertical speed line on the big wood. A small crane could lift the pieces up hill, maybe under the power lines to save labor. If there is an access road below, it is always easier to move weight down hill then up.
With the bulk of the heavy wood way down below grade thats a lot of winching the crane would have to do to lift them above the wires.
If rigged right I think you could take the limbs down on top of the roof and then walk them over to the driveway or entry way saving a lot of labor.
It wouldn't be to hard to take that fence down and winch up the trunk wood there or so it looks. You have several options. I do removals like that regularly FTA and I wouldn't mine checking it out for you. You can only see so much in a photo. Im just not sure a crane would be the best choice, dangerous, and expensive and probably not needed. Even with the slope the trees are still close to the street.
Lemon eucs are all trunk for the most part. Get that crown off and its cake. Think vertical speed line to control the pieces cut off the trunk so they don't roll down hill or bounce into the houses. Looks like a fun job.

What is at the bottom of the slope behind the houses? Is there an access road? It might be cheaper, safer and easier to take them down slope. First the lower one then the one closest to the street. Remove the brush carefully then do a vertical speed line on the big wood. A small crane could lift the pieces up hill, maybe under the power lines to save labor. If there is an access road below, it is always easier to move weight down hill then up.
With the bulk of the heavy wood way down below grade thats a lot of winching the crane would have to do to lift them above the wires.
If rigged right I think you could take the limbs down on top of the roof and then walk them over to the driveway or entry way saving a lot of labor.
It wouldn't be to hard to take that fence down and winch up the trunk wood there or so it looks. You have several options. I do removals like that regularly FTA and I wouldn't mine checking it out for you. You can only see so much in a photo. Im just not sure a crane would be the best choice, dangerous, and expensive and probably not needed. Even with the slope the trees are still close to the street.
Lemon eucs are all trunk for the most part. Get that crown off and its cake. Think vertical speed line to control the pieces cut off the trunk so they don't roll down hill or bounce into the houses. Looks like a fun job.

That is typical work here. That would be done by lunch time. You are 3 stories below. stage it there and rig it. Those power line's are not in your way!
Jeff

Forum: Commercial Tree Care and Climbing
This Forum is for experienced tree climbers. Ask beginner or new to the business questions in the Arborist 101 Forum.

FTA, every time I see you posting in this forum I wonder to myself......"Does he know you can get killed doing this?"

I was trained around power and worked around power. I would not be thinking crane here at all..... like most have said before, just rig it out. Heck, if you get tied in high enough on that one you can darn near handle all the stuff closer to the wires, bend it back toward yourself and chuck it down.

Another note, that is serious power. Do you really have enough experience and confidence to work around it? Power isn't like a house, or a car, or a window.....you can't take back that cut after you make it. Indirect contact has killed many.... From the look of it you probably would complicate the job and make it MORE dangerous by adding a bigass conductor like a crane......

Call up jeff and refer this one to him.....

O:(

Oh well. He's not home.

Anyway, my brains work like 90% of people wish their brains work. If something is impossible, then step in the process isn't taken, and the whole thing is off. We don't die for someone's petty trees.

Now I think the 10% here that can see how to light load the crane would use the Crane on the HO's dime. It's the HO's call though. I'll check in with the right people about regulation around the power. Crane ops have their knowledge/input too.

More than that, it will get rigged down if the HO says no crane or if the elect. co. or crane op say no. Doesn't make one difference to me....well no. I'd rather pull out the crane.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back