Powerlines in the way for a crane pick---

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ohh hell............you call this guy from Philly, he`ll come there with saw & skidsteer, put a rope in er & a special cut............BAM, extreme precision felling.............nuff said!

LXT..................

Oh Murphy??? Hmmmmm

BM, a winch? No way. Those are wooden stairs all up and down the slope. It's all "uptown" in between those houses and all over the place down below there. These are high society house in the city not lil ol country backyards. There's so much stuff going on down there that the crane came to mind. It's really up to the HO this Spring.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk

... I would be wrecked if anything can make too much movement on this site.

That is more than enough reason to walk away.

Most of the time, when I get a big scary tree, they have already talked to 1/2 the tree services in town. They just keep calling until they find some chump to underbid the job.

It looks like you are up to bat.

QUOTE=ForTheAction;3388979]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Hey FTA not to get off the subject but what kind of phone do you have???:dizzy:

Sent from my Husqvarna 372 xp using tapathrottle

That is more than enough reason to walk away.

Most of the time, when I get a big scary tree, they have already talked to 1/2 the tree services in town. They just keep calling until they find some chump to underbid the job.

It looks like you are up to bat.

HAHA true story. I think that is how I get most of my work..... I don't mind so much though.

Anyways On those trees I don't see any need for a crane (though I have been wrong about that in the past!) I would be roping stuff down in conjunction with a vertical speedline. If getting the wood out is a huge pain in the ass you may want to consider bringing in a small boom truck with a winch to lift them out from under the wires, hard to tell if there is a way to do that from the pics. There's always a log cart.

Im really curious about what power company you work for? cause I know all the Vegetation management people @ Duquesne & Penn Power............ they dont give out voltage testers!!! & if you`re not on their SAP vendor list you`re not working anywhere near their lines & even if you are on that list, if you`re not contracted by them.......best you will get is a "Safety Trim", You will also need LCTT cert on both Duquesne & Penn Power/First Energy property!!! Ive worked for both most of my career & have never seen a tree crew issued such by the utility & would question that....!

Voltage meter does not read a 3 phase hot line either.....how are you using this meter cause all the ones Ive seen need ground clipped to the nuetral & I know you`re not doing that? if you truly were giving such (I doubt it) the person issuing such would be in violation of certain Nerc & Ferc laws by allowing a Non Certified "Lineman" to conduct voltage testing.....big no no!!!!

LXT.................

ill snap some pics of the testers tomorrow. we went through a program put on by duquense light. some of the testers are just to see if the lines are live are dead and their made by a company called salsbury in a orange case. The testers where given to us so we could make sure the lines where dead for ourselves even after they say they are. we did a lift off of a trailer in oakdale that took down the lines. asphlund was their also during the process. this was done less than a week ago.

the easiest way to clear it up is the power company is usually on site while the work is being performed. on downed trees and so on. so when your talking about testing lines and so on we generally don't perform those tasks usually just to make sure their is no power flowing in per say a line we encounter laying across the road.

but after that non the matter it doesn't matter to me what someone believes or doesn't pays the bills and that works for me ill take it!! no care or will to try and argue it out with someone that is in disbelief.

if you have a knowledge of power and working around the line post something that will contribute to the thread and about what FTA is asking about. lets try to get this site back on track and start talking about tree work again and less of who can and can't do what no one cares and that high school grade humor at the best.

Last edited:
I guess that new rig just has the right balance. I assume the truck in the pics is going to be the biggest one around that handles 10°

40' fly jib.....that alone is a big deal. I suppose that fits in the dump box or trailer?

Fly jib is the one with the support cables, right?

ya if you look at allmarks truck or mike poors its pretty much the same configuration just a copma boom and on a mack granite truck. allmark has a video of him lifting some trees over a 3 phase with it on his youtube channel i do believe if you can't find it ill try and dig up the link. as far as the biggest around mike poors is hard to beat probably kneck and kneck. they don't get much bigger endless you wanna mount it on a railcar.

Last edited:
Oh Murphy??? Hmmmmm

BM, a winch? No way. Those are wooden stairs all up and down the slope. It's all "uptown" in between those houses and all over the place down below there. These are high society house in the city not lil ol country backyards. There's so much stuff going on down there that the crane came to mind. It's really up to the HO this Spring.

That is why its hard being a keyboard arborist:msp_biggrin:I was wondering what was under them. That would rule out my vertical skid line idea too.
I love doing removals. No two are ever the same, and many are both a mental as well as a physical challenge.
I some times change my whole strategy after viewing it from in the tree.
I know I am bias. I am a rope and pulley type guy. Cranes take all the fun and challenge out of the removal for me. But then again I am not an owner operator.
I drive to San Diego a few times a month I would be more then happy to check it out with you before you do the job if you'd like.
"A winch". Could you lay plywood down over the stairs so the pieces would slid? The Company I do a lot of work for that has the K-boom specializes in difficult removals that others won't or can't do. If the customer is willing to pay, we won't knock a pedal off a flower.
I still don't think their that hard. Just remember to think out side the box, and don't under bid the job. Rigging or craning one, mistake and your screwed on that job.
I think your crazy like a fox Mr. FTA You'll get it done.

That is why its hard being a keyboard arborist:msp_biggrin:I was wondering what was under them. That would rule out my vertical skid line idea too.
I love doing removals. No two are ever the same, and many are both a mental as well as a physical challenge.
I know I am bias. I am a rope and pulley type guy. Cranes take all the fun and challenge out of the removal for me. But then again I am not an owner operator.
I drive to San Diego a few times a month I would be more then happy to check it out with you before you do the job if you'd like.
"A winch". Could you lay plywood down over the stairs so the pieces would slid? The Company I do a lot of work for that has the K-boom specializes in difficult removals that others won't or can't do. If the customer is willing to pay, we won't knock a pedal off a flower.
I still don't think their that hard. Just remember to think out side the box, and don't under bid the job. Rigging or craning one, mistake and your screwed on that job.

the booms are sweet that is a nice rig they are using do you know what model it is? and its a hiab right?

Yep, I love removals. Funnest and most challenging workout I have ever done.

Don't underbid the job, but underbid the competitors. That is my technique, just means you have to get it done more efficiently and do the hardest part yourself!

the booms are sweet that is a nice rig they are using do you know what model it is? and its a hiab right?

I think it may be. I know the truck was built to his specs. by Altec. It paid for its self in less then 3 mo. on some contract he had with the state. He also has a chipper truck with removable boxes.(chipper box, low container box, high container box)It was made by altec too. Were able to drop a container on a job then go pick up the chipper and chipper box, pretty handy at times
I work there tomorrow I'll let you know what model it is.

Sent from my Husqvarna 372 xp using tapathrottle[/QUOTE]

Beats me. Hmmmmm :confused:

Sent from my Husqvarna 372 xp using tapathrottle[/QUOTE]

Beats me. Hmmmmm :confused:[/QUOTE]

Think he wants to know what kinda phone you have but it also says it samsung SGH

tap talk worked better before the last update they did i love that app great for killing time while I'm waiting for a tire change and what not.

Last edited:
I think it may be. I know the truck was built to his specs. by Altec. It paid for its self in less then 3 mo. on some contract he had with the state. He also has a chipper truck with removable boxes.(chipper box, low container box, high container box)It was made by altec too. Were able to drop a container on a job then go pick up the chipper and chipper box, pretty handy at times
I work there tomorrow I'll let you know what model it is.

ya we get into all kinda of odd jobs with it they do make $$

we did the same thing with an international put a hook lift on it with 2 20 foot containers i could only get 2 so far they want some $$ for them but with one truck the chipper never stops chipping their a great tool. my driver is dumping one while the other is being filled.

are you a contract climber? we have been in need of a guy for years now many have tried but usually BS about their capabilities. i contacted Reg but its almost impossible for me to employ him because he's not a citizen. so that turned out to be a dead end. guaranteed 40+ hours a week with benefits. and paid vacation.

in the summer we knock out the removals in the winter we prune 90% oaks. its not a full time climbing job we use all the tools wherever we can wether its a bucket or a crane. due to high volume of work we just do it the most efficient way possible. we don't really offer deals or negotiate prices so theirs always enough $$ for a crane.

tap talk worked better before the last update they did i love that app great for killing time while I'm waiting for a tire change and what not.

I just purchased the app a few months ago. It works. I rarely use it at work. I'm never in the mood to read the AS news on the job. Internet at home has been off and on, so I've been using the phone more to get on here from the couch. Then sometimes I don't feel like getting up, so I grab the phone and check in. It works. Did I mention that?

I just purchased the app a few months ago. It works. I rarely use it at work. I'm never in the mood to read the AS news on the job. Internet at home has been off and on, so I've been using the phone more to get on here from the couch. Then sometimes I don't feel like getting up, so I grab the phone and check in. It works. Did I mention that?

ya its not bad I'm gonna get the iPhone 4 here sooner or later. the adroids had an update not to long ago that messed with the typing capabilities of it so my phones almost worthless for typing so slowly but surely i have converted everything to apple.

aefcc917-bd17-e4f1.jpg

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

my at home work station the monitor is huge like 25" or something LED o and the sims is my wifes she absolutely loves that crap i must have 1K invested in those games with all the expansion packs.

ya its not bad I'm gonna get the iPhone 4 here sooner or later. the adroids had an update not to long ago that messed with the typing capabilities of it so my phones almost worthless for typing so slowly but surely i have converted everything to apple.

I'm on the same track as you. Androids are break neck slow. I wish I would have bought the droid with the dual processor. Altough at this point I'm sort of betting that Iphone is 100% me compatible - no gliches, instant processes, and more style. This android is a good beginner phone, but it's generic.

Latest posts

Back