Powerlines in the way for a crane pick---

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm on the same track as you. Androids are break neck slow. I wish I would have bought the droid with the dual processor. Altough at this point I'm sort of betting that Iphone is 100% me compatible - no gliches, instant processes, and more style. This android is a good beginner phone, but it's generic.

ya when i got this iMac computer i really realized what I've been missing all of thies years with a PC now i got the iPad 2 also and this stuff is freakin sweet and light years faster. i have never had this computer freeze yet or have had to hard boot it. i don't know how many times i got yelled at for swearing at my dell computers because i was beating the control ALT delete all day long.

my at home work station the monitor is huge like 25" or something LED o and the sims is my wifes she absolutely loves that crap i must have 1K invested in those games with all the expansion packs.

That's a high life game collection. :msp_ohmy:

I'd like to get back into games just for the mental agility fix. No time for vid games though, but I'm going to do baseball again this season. One day a week goes a long ways, and at this point I could go a long ways as in I'm getting to soft. I've been out of the game for a few years now.

I'm thinking I need one of those big screen Macs. I have a big screen, but it's not as big as that Mac screen. My PC is a $350 job by some computer boys with a shop. It has a 3.5ghz processor, but it somehow lags far more than I can handle. The Mac equipment is probably beyond those problems.

i don't know how many times i got yelled at for swearing at my dell computers because i was beating the control ALT delete all day long.

:hmm3grin2orange: exactly

I'll buy the ipad sooner or later. That's last on the list though. I know though....basically perfect.

I don't see how anyone could do business with out this kind of gear. I know lots of people that curse this gear down like it beat them up one day. It's like the Easton hi-tech bats' moto says, "Play with it, or play against it." The tech has it's advantage for now, but eventually everyone is going to have this stuff- no more advantage. I'd get slaughtered with out this smart phone, and when the computer lags and freezes.....I get slaughtered. Running my business without this stuff is like walking compared to taking the freeway.

I haven't done that in years - it used to be free but I think they charge a good penny to do it now, around 300$ last I remember

I try to get the client to make the call. I tell them what to say and usually have had quick responses. It seems the power companies respond better to when a HO calls demanding rather than a tree company requesting.

ill snap some pics of the testers tomorrow. we went through a program put on by duquense light. some of the testers are just to see if the lines are live are dead and their made by a company called salsbury in a orange case. The testers where given to us so we could make sure the lines where dead for ourselves even after they say they are. we did a lift off of a trailer in oakdale that took down the lines. asphlund was their also during the process. this was done less than a week ago.

the easiest way to clear it up is the power company is usually on site while the work is being performed. on downed trees and so on. so when your talking about testing lines and so on we generally don't perform those tasks usually just to make sure their is no power flowing in per say a line we encounter laying across the road.

but after that non the matter it doesn't matter to me what someone believes or doesn't pays the bills and that works for me ill take it!! no care or will to try and argue it out with someone that is in disbelief.

if you have a knowledge of power and working around the line post something that will contribute to the thread and about what FTA is asking about. lets try to get this site back on track and start talking about tree work again and less of who can and can't do what no one cares and that high school grade humor at the best.

I believe you were at a seminar...........but I find it very hard to believe that you were given testers? like I said the liability wouldnt allow it & not being LCTT..............I know they wouldnt let ya near the lines, help you in the fact by an "outage" or a "re-direct" yes!!!

I just know that Duquesne lights vegetation manager would not permit an outside non-contractor, let alone a contractor to perform what you have stated..................It breaks federal law!!!!!!! Nerc & Ferc...............who issued you these testers? if asplundh was there with you............those guys are from Ibew Local 1919...wonder why everyone wasnt there (strange) Ill have to check on that.

In regard to FTA`s issue...............the pics do not do justice to the overall situation, if it is as described I would ask the utility in writing to provide a safety trim or I would ask for an outage & tack the price onto the bill.

The problem with contractors trying to do Line clearance work or working in close proximity is that unless you are contracted by the utility & even if not...........they`re liable for the power & can be fined if they do not honor a request & as a result an outage occurs. I would think the utility would be more than helpful in this situation?

LXT..................

You seem kind of knowledgeable, LXT. You're a tree guy aren't you? :biggrin:

LOL.............Shhhh

Yeah, but transitioning due to reasons beyond my control, I mostly do lot clearing, landscape, planting type stuff now........with a tree job thrown in that no one else wants!!!

hopefully that job for ya goes good, be safe & take care!

LXT...........

LOL.............Shhhh

Yeah, but transitioning due to reasons beyond my control, I mostly do lot clearing, landscape, planting type stuff now........with a tree job thrown in that no one else wants!!!

hopefully that job for ya goes good, be safe & take care!

LXT...........

Oh Jesus man, I almost just threw up! Don't go trying to play all nicey, nice now, in some lame attempt to cover up your sociopathic tendencies, we all know you ain't right man!! Just saying is all..

Correct me if I am wrong, but if you look at the photo from the street, there is a walk way with a small tree between the power pole and the building. That has to be at lest 8 + feet. The first trees trunk is behind an up stair window from the street probably an other 10 ft. So there is at lest 18 ft if not 25 ft from those wires. I don't see no typical power company heading cuts on the tree either which it would have if it was closer then 10 ft.
The angle of the photos make it look like there right in the trees, but I think you would really have to work on it to get a branch in the lines. Not to say its impossible. To the roof with the brush, then the drop and catch method I described earlier to quickly and safely bring the pieces to the ground.
I some times will use slings on the branches then clip them to the cable on the crane so I can cut them individually. Works good if you can't get the cable high enough to prevent a flip or a shock load or get one or two problem limbs out of the way on a pick.
I don't want to hijack this thread, but an operator I work with some times will have me put a short sling up high as he's lowering me on the cut. I clip it on the cable(the clip slides though it) then down below that I hook the cable to the tree. The short sling acts like a spider leg sort of, but because its so short it only allows the tree to move a few feet one way or anather. Good idea bad idea?
My job got move for today so I am home doing this tree in my head. I got to get a life, oh wait I have one trees:biggrin:
Sorry about the rambling, but I am bored to tears.

I believe you were at a seminar...........but I find it very hard to believe that you were given testers? like I said the liability wouldnt allow it & not being LCTT..............I know they wouldnt let ya near the lines, help you in the fact by an "outage" or a "re-direct" yes!!!

I just know that Duquesne lights vegetation manager would not permit an outside non-contractor, let alone a contractor to perform what you have stated..................It breaks federal law!!!!!!! Nerc & Ferc...............who issued you these testers? if asplundh was there with you............those guys are from Ibew Local 1919...wonder why everyone wasnt there (strange) Ill have to check on that.

In regard to FTA`s issue...............the pics do not do justice to the overall situation, if it is as described I would ask the utility in writing to provide a safety trim or I would ask for an outage & tack the price onto the bill.

The problem with contractors trying to do Line clearance work or working in close proximity is that unless you are contracted by the utility & even if not...........they`re liable for the power & can be fined if they do not honor a request & as a result an outage occurs. I would think the utility would be more than helpful in this situation?

LXT..................

i wouldn't be interested in posting information on hew gave me what because if it was done without certain permissions I'm not gonna get someone in trouble. don't ask don't tell is my motto when someone is giving me something that could save lives. when you say everyone they all are their especially when a line get knocked down or its still laying uprooted on a line and they can't just cut it off without lifting it. such as hanging over a house. we don't do this stuff on a daily basis but it is common sometimes a few times a month.

What equipment do they have to handle large trees in a situation like this? or does asphlund carry. we can respond 24/7 with up to a 40 ton crane. and in daylight hours up to 99 ton.

whether you believe it or not is good enough for me lets just say it doesn't happen because its easier than going back in fourth in 50 more posts. I'm more interested in talking about how to safely operate a crane in close proximity to lines.

Last edited:
Matt sent ya a PM, not sure if ya got it? different subject matter & on the above I agree!

Lxt.............

Did you get any better pics yet, or have you given up cuz theres a new iphone coming out? streetview doesn't help with looking at a landing zone, seems like i would set the crane up in front of the RV, pull pics over the service wires, and my landing zone would be where the RV is parked. couple hundred bucks for a police detail, shut the street down for 2 hours, gives plenty of time for cleanup. Or Pile it in the HO's driveway and get the crane out of the street in about 1 hour, get crane out ASAP (since you're renting). Service wires can be dropped, primaries can be sleeved. And since you apparently own the company, you can certift yourself as line clearance trained.

Or, you can take Jefflovstroms offer, give it to his guys that are now working 4 10s, and have them do it on a friday and collect a paycheck for looking for help.

Matt sent ya a PM, not sure if ya got it? different subject matter & on the above I agree!

Lxt.............

YB Seems to have a new sales rep every year. i didn't do it this year the calls really don't come from their our own advertising works way better or if they do come their like 50 miles away. kinda expensive to if you do a few counties.

YB, what a company! Like I was saying I have the proof.......they just done care & dont wish to honor what they offered & was accepted.........which is the only reason I stayed on with them for 2011.

Any way......I sold the Genie, saw that you were interested! sorry.... But I do have a good bit of stuff im gonna sell: brand new Hyd pruner, fall arrest, fall limiters, a couple MS 460 magnums (dont need 4) & debating on selling the chipper.......it needs some new tin here & there but I love that ugly awesome running mutha & a few parts saws, etc...

Im just doing more with the dozer & land reclaimation for people who have the money, Ya see, you take a tree down for $1000 & the HO have nothing to show for the money they spent, you clear some land, grade it, put in some new plantings & trim a few ornamentals for $3-5,000 & they`re happy as hell. so just going in a different route, but still do some tree work......Im just tired of the stuff no one wants or cant do!!!

LXT............

YB, what a company! Like I was saying I have the proof.......they just done care & dont wish to honor what they offered & was accepted.........which is the only reason I stayed on with them for 2011.

Any way......I sold the Genie, saw that you were interested! sorry.... But I do have a good bit of stuff im gonna sell: brand new Hyd pruner, fall arrest, fall limiters, a couple MS 460 magnums (dont need 4) & debating on selling the chipper.......it needs some new tin here & there but I love that ugly awesome running mutha & a few parts saws, etc...

Im just doing more with the dozer & land reclaimation for people who have the money, Ya see, you take a tree down for $1000 & the HO have nothing to show for the money they spent, you clear some land, grade it, put in some new plantings & trim a few ornamentals for $3-5,000 & they`re happy as hell. so just going in a different route, but still do some tree work......Im just tired of the stuff no one wants or cant do!!!

LXT............

ill take a good 460 trying to stockpile up on the good stihl saws before they all start running like poop. i like the 460 better than the 660 for some reason almost feel like its just as good but weighs less.

thats funny.........I sold my 660 last year & felt the same way!!!

LXT............

thats funny.........I sold my 660 last year & felt the same way!!!

LXT............

ya we have a 660 and never seem to use it 460 is usually enough saw. a lot of times id rather spend the extra time cutting it with a smaller saw than lug around a 660 or 880.

Today, 06:03 PM
tree MDS
Arboristsite MVP
This message is hidden because tree MDS is on your ignore list.
View Post
Remove user from ignore list
View Post

Everytime i read this the site becomes a little better man i love that i found the ignore button. now whenever someone has nothing good to contribute i just ignore its like being able to hit the mute button on your tv so you don't have to hear the commercials.

Latest posts

Back