powerstroke or cummins

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
check out dieselresource.com Dodge Cummins dedicated site. Betcha you can find #1 alot of information on models and #2 leads on some trucks within your budget.

hey

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ :clap:

but i think to post/request in the forum you have to be a memeber.. ie: $30 +/- a yr.. but you get the TDR pub. a mag. with a log real world modifications from members plus some factory stuff.. Worth it (over time) if you own a cummins - and wish to know the ins and out of all generations of cummins engines!

looked at two today, the first was around the back of the building with the hood up on a charger and no oil cap in the valve cover. Glad I diddnt call first. It was an 02 with 86K bald tires and a filthy interior. I left said thanks and on to the next one. Which was in the shop had a lift kit super swampers a pipe gauges and some aftermarket engine management . I said thanks I'll pass. I cant get discouraged I need to stay the course. I called the dealer we bought our jeep from and am going to get the wheels turning with them.

It will be worth the hunt. If you sign up on a couple of the forums above you can look in their classifieds section. Cumminsforum has quite a large one for both parts, and whole trucks of different makes, models, condition, and year. I would guess most forums do just like on here. There are some nice ones in there just waiting to be found. Good luck with your hunt.

Drove an 02 6.6 duramax with allison trans on Monday. Wow is that transmission impressive! Is the fuel mileage similar to the cummins? Of all the comments on this thread most have been about the power stroke or cummins.What about the duramax?

Drove an 02 6.6 duramax with allison trans on Monday. Wow is that transmission impressive! Is the fuel mileage similar to the cummins? Of all the comments on this thread most have been about the power stroke or cummins.What about the duramax?

Duramax is a good engine,only issue is the injectors ,but an aftermarket fuel filter will help immensley with that issue.They are a bit tight under the hood to work on,water pumps are a PITA,as are head gasket,which seem to last about 150K or so.
Im not impressed with my allison other than for durability.Mines behind an 8100.My cousin has a dmax/allision.Not much different,other than my big block being a lot more lively in town,and taking off.What was it that impressed you? I think the trans is very busy,the only time it feels right is when towing heavy.As far as gearing,1st is nice and low,but the 1-2 gear spacing is huge,2-3 is small,3-4 only a 100-200rpm drop at the most.4-5 is normal direct-OD drop. I think the ratios are way off.I do love the durability of the allison,so i dont mind living with its clunky nature,and odd ball ratios.

ratios are likely designed for diesel, which doesn't have as much rpm drop to remain in the power band.

Duramax is a good engine,only issue is the injectors ,but an aftermarket fuel filter will help immensley with that issue.QUOTE]

Personally, I have had great luck with Wix, Napa gold or donaldson filters.
I found they have the lowest micron filtering currently.

Duramax is a good engine,only issue is the injectors ,but an aftermarket fuel filter will help immensley with that issue.QUOTE]

Personally, I have had great luck with Wix, Napa gold or donaldson filters.
I found they have the lowest micron filtering currently.

While they make great filters, I was talking about an add on filter assy,with a CAT filter head or different aftermarket setups. The HPCR Cummins benefits from this as well,but the Dmax needs it even more.You still run your factory filter ,but run this one (or another)upstream to protect the injectors.

http://nicktane.com/osc/product_reviews_info.php?products_id=28&reviews_id=3
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/detail.cfm?ID=241

What about fuel economy with the duramax? I checked a couple of websites and they listed a big variance. People were getting anywhere from 13 to 23 mpg hiway empty and not towing.

What about fuel economy with the duramax? I checked a couple of websites and they listed a big variance. People were getting anywhere from 13 to 23 mpg hiway empty and not towing.

For the most part, in stock form, newer models will get less fuel economy. There will be a step change when the new emisions requirements are changed. Now if they go to SCR (Selective Catalytic Reduction), they have to do less things in the engine to meet regulations. It should mean some better fuel economy. The bad thing about SCR is that it requires urea injection (Diesel exhaust fluid).

I have been told by owners of Dmax trucks that their new trucks were getting in the mid teens and thier older trucks were around 20 mpg. I am sure there is a person or two on the forums that trades Chevy diesels fairly often that could give more first hand knowledge.

Don

We have two Duramax's currently and they have been great trucks. The older LB7 model duramax's are the only one's with injector issues but they have a 200k or 7 year warranty if they go bad in that time GM will cover them. The 05 and up do not have any injector issues. As far as the Allison its a great transmission at stock or close to stock H/P & TRQ. I am pushing over 500 horse at the rear wheels of my 05 but the transmission will only hold about 100 RWHP over stock before you need to upgrade the internals. It's definetly the best transmission I have ever had for towing, it grade breaks really well when in Tow Haul mode. For MPG I average around 18 MPG around town empty and 21 MPG highway with the 05, the 04 does a little better at around 23 MPG highway empty. The 08 and up trucks all have the DPF emision crap so the fuel mileage suffers but that is with all 3 makes and diesel models. Alot of guys with the newer trucks just eliminate the DPF with an aftermarket exhaust and tuner at which point some are getting well over 20 MPG.. I am biased but I believe GM's Duramax/Allison combo is the best all around package of the big 3 currently. The biggest complaint from most people is not having a solid front axle and I agree it would be a nice option that I would buy if I could, simply because they are stronger. With that said the GM 3/4 trucks ride 100 times better then the fords or dodges and the IFS has not been an issue when towing heavy (30k +) or off roading for the 2 we have here. I did beef up the 05 front end a little because of the high H/P and TRQ and the fact that I run it at the strip and some local truck pulls, it cost under $500.00 bucks to make the front end nearly bullit proof.. Ok I think I am done rambling now, Lol!!

Thanks custom, I enjoyed your pics and video on another diesel thread. The truck I am looking at is an 02 do those suffer from the injector problems that you have mentioned?

Last edited:
Thanks custom, I enjoyed your pics and video on another diesel thread. The truck I am looking at is an 02 do those suffer from the injector problems that you have mentioned?

02's were known for injectors,thing is the 7yrs is coming up on them now.If they were bad they were probably replaced already.You can always make the sale conditional to a scan from the local dealer,most dealers will charge 1/2 hr-1 hr labor for this service,if an injector or more is bad,they will know when they balance test them.
Also,if you buy one,do the extra fuel filter,it goes a long way with the duramax.
Just a FYI,there are 5 dmaxes in my family,only 1 has had injectors repalced,it is an early 04 LB7.2 have well over 100K,2 are modded,ones a MD 4500.Overall everyones happy with them,they are good trucks/engines.

I was just glancing thru this thred and thought i'd add my 2 cents. I own an 03 D-MAX with 115,000 and not a bit of trouble with it. I have a Banks 6-Gun kit on it. Love the truck and the extra ponies from the banks. My experience with the fuel filters, change it every 6000 miles or do the add on. And with the added power I should do some tranny upgrades, torque converter slips if you put your foot in too deep. All said, Awsome truck, couldn't pay me to go back to a gasser for towing or fuel mileage (18 and 24)

Theres no question the 12 valve cummins is one of the best diesel engines put in pick ups but the chassis and powertrain dodges have suck. For me chevys are out of the question because of the front suspension unless you want 2wd. My dad has an 05 350 diesel and that thing is great no problems tow great. The 6.0 is fine if you dont try to add hp seems to hold up ok and i think fords torqshift is a good tranny soo far. Also if your looking for an older one lots the 7.3 idi with factory turbo is hard to beat and reliable.

Well I'm off for a second look at that duramax. I would have liked to have driven more dodges but it seems they are made of unobtainium. All of the used dodges around here are well over 100K well used and over priced. After all of my resarch I wont consider a FORD. Too bad I allways liked thier gassers. Wish me luck!

Tim

:yoyo:

Well I'm off for a second look at that duramax. I would have liked to have driven more dodges but it seems they are made of unobtainium. All of the used dodges around here are well over 100K well used and over priced. After all of my resarch I wont consider a FORD. Too bad I allways liked thier gassers. Wish me luck!

Tim

:yoyo:

Ive found used duramaxes just as $$ as a used Dodge/Cummins. Thats one of the reasons i went with an 8100 in my 01 GMC. One thing to look for with the dmaxes,try to avoid modified trucks,many have had tuners,and fueling mods that shorten engine and trans life ,esp if abused. The exhaust maniflod on pass side is usually where they get tapped for EGT guage,you can see best looking thru pass side fender liner. It would have to be a really sweet deal for me to buy a used modded truck.

Good luck on your search.

Ive found used duramaxes just as $$ as a used Dodge/Cummins. Thats one of the reasons i went with an 8100 in my 01 GMC. One thing to look for with the dmaxes,try to avoid modified trucks,many have had tuners,and fueling mods that shorten engine and trans life ,esp if abused. The exhaust maniflod on pass side is usually where they get tapped for EGT guage,you can see best looking thru pass side fender liner. It would have to be a really sweet deal for me to buy a used modded truck.

Good luck on your search.

X2!! on what he said about looking for the tap/plug on manifold.. As far as not buying a modded truck Depends on what your looking for I guess.. As far as resale generally you are going to pay just as much for an used D-max as a comparible cummins but there are deals to be found on either if your patient. If you are considering an 02 have the dealer run the Vin # so you can find out if the injectors have been replaced already or not, If not use that as a bargaining chip for a discount on the selling price. Also post up some specifics on the truck, Like, Crew cab, R.C., EXT. Cab?, etc.., how many miles?, 4x4?, Asking price? ETC.. It sounds like there are a few of us on here that could atleast offer our opinions on if you are getting a fair deal or not. Good luck!!

Latest posts

Back