PP330 broke, get an ms290?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give that a try. I didn't tighten the strap down so it didn't look like there
was clearance for it.

Another guy that knows more about saws than anyone else........jus sayin......

:beat_shot::beated::beat_shot::beated::beat_shot:

I know how to run a saw and learning more everyday how to fix them.. but that saw needs a DO NOT RESESSITATE sticker on it.
Do you guys ever give up. Let it be an organ donor!!! and get a new one.

I know how to run a saw and learning more everyday how to fix them.. but that saw needs a DO NOT RESESSITATE sticker on it.

Why? Their to good and easy to work on IMO . I've owned a like new 290 a stihl dealer couldnt figure out. I fixed it in less then a hour gave it to my dad, my dad kept it a few months gave it back and said he liked his poulan 3300 better. So I sent that plastic :dizzy: thing down the road.

pp365anflowers007.jpg

pp365anflowers014.jpg

okay i'm stupid , I had the strap 180 degrees. but the catch still doesn't fit right. I can't see how the plastic cap fits any differently because it has a tab that its in a slot on the case. I'm missing something (obvious)View attachment 275814

You GO boy!!!:rock:

That right there is the very attitude that has filled many a Poulan lovers saw shed with GREAT saws for...........................CHEAP!!!
I only wish there were more with your attitude!

Mike

If someone needs to cut wood I think its worth it to buy a new one. If you enjoy fixing them go ahead...

I would rather spend the time cutting wood and making money.

If someone needs to cut wood I think its worth it to buy a new one. If you enjoy fixing them go ahead...

When most of us have more then 1 saw to choose from to cut wood. Working on one is no biggie. :dizzy:

Heck I usually load 3 when I leave out.

So here is how the chain catcher and strap should be attached.

In this first picture see how the black plastic cover for the buffer is oriented so that the recess is facing side ways.
275817d1359258277-img_1567-jpg

Look how the chain catcher fits inside the recess in the black plastic cover.
275816d1359258270-img_1568-jpg

Here you notice the strap has one side thinner than the other so it will fit around the chain catcher.
275815d1359258265-img_1569-jpg

View attachment 275815View attachment 275816View attachment 275817

Last edited:
I have been using my other (lesser) saw in the meantime. I'd rather be using the 330, but even if I had the money to blow there are no good shops around her that work on them.

Well at least the 330 is worth fixing. The MS290? The Stihl dealers around here dont think so if its anything other then a carb job or a sprocket, they will try to sell you another one if its any thing more. :msp_biggrin:

Latest posts

Back