Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
How many of ya'll actually wear it? What do you wear? I mean specifics. I know everyone encourages it, but what do you wear yourself? Safety glasses? Hard hat with face shield and hearing protectors? Chaps? Gloves? Stihl toed boots? (pun there) What do you wear daily??? and who are the manufacturer's of the safety gear you wear? Thanks for the info...

There are two parts to PPE.
First, is the image you portray by wearing it. Are there any tree services you wish to emulate? Do they wear PPE?
Second, is the safety it gives you. Do you know guys that walk around and are alive? Wouldn't it be nice to walk around and be alive? Not having big old scars on your face is an added benefit.
The ANSI standards are pretty much the absolute minimum for me.

gear i wear, wether its just a quick branch trim or a full days work:

- Petzl Vertex helmet, with PELTOR Optime 102 ear muffs, flip up face shield
- Full Kevlar wrap chainsaw pants
- Chainsaw boots, steel toe with shin armour
- chainsaw mitts with Kevlar pads on back of palms

all of it

I always have eye protection, dark, amber, and clear depending on the light conditions. Hard hat, hearing protection, and chaps unless I'm climbing.

Vertex Vented helmet
Safety glasses
Earplugs
Husquvarna Chainsaw pants

Bought the pants to wear in the tree just in case since you never know when an accident will happen.

Helmet with chin strap
Ear plugs
glasses
Saw pants on the ground.

I do from time to time "cheat", but then I'm only cheating myself, my wife, my parents. The people who work with me who will have to deal with the mishap.....

Steel-toe boots, chaps, eye protection, ear protection (often the kind with the radio built in...), and good gloves (i.e. whatever kind that I feel confident will provide me a grip I can trust under the conditions I'm working in). I should get a helmet/face screen, I just haven't gotten around to it. Always. The cost of the PPE is undoubtedly less than the cost of an accident, both in time and money, so it seems worthwhile. And properly selected and fitted PPE should not be burdensome to wear, rather it should be comforting and maybe even comfortable!

Myself and my father are very strict when it comes to safety and PPE. All of the guys that work with me wear: Steel Cap boots, Stihl hard hats with earmuffs and mesh visors, Rated safety glasses, leather gloves and a backbrace.

We're all in uniform the uniform counts aswell because its all durable King Gee..

Computeruser: Also where did you get your
ar protection (often the kind with the radio built in...)
if you dont mind me asking? I've been interested in them for awhile but cant seem to find them anywhere..

PPE, comforting and comfortable...I liked that!!

I wear:
Hi vis green moisture control shirt w/sun protection
Vertex vent w/ear muffs & visor
Safety glasses - after getting poked in the eye even under the visor
Gloves - tight fitting
SIP chainsaw boots w/steel toes and kevlar
When the weather cools down - Stihl high flex chainsaw trousers otherwise arborwear

ciscoguy01 said:
How many of ya'll actually wear it? What do you wear? I mean specifics. I know everyone encourages it, but what do you wear yourself? Safety glasses? Hard hat with face shield and hearing protectors? Chaps? Gloves? Stihl toed boots? (pun there) What do you wear daily??? and who are the manufacturer's of the safety gear you wear? Thanks for the info...
da ansi z-133 standards are your guide for mandatory ppe reqs/ ex. chaps using saw yes on ground all da time/ chaps in tree no/ face sheild on helmet optional/ glasses with a z87stamp mandatory, btw interestingly enough osha will also use our z133 as their guide/ if your in the dacks maybe yer logging ....... thats a whole other standard

One thing I would warn about the radio earmuffs. Make sure they have noise dampening, because turning up the volume to overcome the outside noise defeats the purpose.

All of it , all of the time

CSA Approved Boots, chain saw pants, hard hat, muffs, safety glasses, screen, gloves. Hi vis t shirt or jacket.

One PPE item often neglected by outdoor workers-sunscreen as necessary.

I can honestly say wearing a hardhat at the very least saved my from a nasty bump on the head by a hanger that I did not see while I was tugging on another. Knocked me flat on my butt into a snowbank.

One really good reason for wearing this stuff up here-keeps the Workmans Comp Board off your back, not to mention the Labour Ministry. Three weeks ago I reinjured an arm I broke in 1999, fortunately minor, just nerve damage. I was off work two plus days while I saw docs, got xrays etc. Because I could honestly say I was working in a safe manner, which included PPE, I got a cheque for $105 in the mail to replace my lost wages for those days. I expected nothing, so this was a nice surprise. Wearing the prescribed PPE is a small price to pay.

I am currently working on a sometimes casual basis in a warehouse as well, and the lack of adherance to basic PPE regs is appalling. At the least, steel toed footwear should be manditory, but they have people wandering around in sneakers using MHE. Go figure.

Wearing this stuff can be a pain in the derriere at times, but on the other I agree with the above, it makes one look like a professional, and not a rag tag bandit outfit dressed in cut off shorts or track pants, and ratty old tennis shoes, wife beater T shirt, ball cap. You've all seen these clowns parading around and stealing business from legit arborists. Realize there is more to tree work than looking the part BTW. My last boss used to routinely phone the Ministry and rat out the rag tag competition, and I confess to having raised concerns to larger companies as well-I pay these clowns medical bills and comp claims. Prime example, we are getting a new sidewalk this week, and they are cutting concrete with a rotary Stihl saw; no eye protection, no mask and no ear plugs. These are the same people that will put in a huge Comp claim 20 years from now.

Last edited:
^ thats the ones! they are a bit clunky. sadly my brand new boots are no more, they went the way of the car thief :mad: i had less than two weeks wear on them...

I wear all the ppe but just purchased a set of bugz eye mesh goggles from baileys after a wood chip cut my eye under my full face shield. Worst day of my life.

I believe the recommendation is to wear eye protection in addition to the shield, which you unfortunately discovered.

I have experienced cornea tears on the surface of my eye (not related to work) and can honestly say an eye injury is one of the most painful anyone will ever experience. Hope you are OK.

Last edited:
generic but ansi approved hardhat, steel toe boots, Stihl chaps from the dealer, leather gloves, ear plugs-soft & comfortable, since I wear glasses anyway I have safety lenses in them,( twice took a stone through the open car window at 55mph that hit my lenses, imagine what that would have done done without glasses; no laser surgery for me.)

Guilty of wearing a baseball cap at times. keeps the sun out my eyes better than the hardhat.

Next item(s) to get, face shield/screen, and remember to keep some dustmasks on hand, that smokers cough from the fumes/dust suck.

What gloves would you guys recommend or where to look for them.

wdchuck said:
ear plugs-soft & comfortable,

Ear plugs are WAAAAY better than nothing, but they don't do as much as muffs. The reason is that a lot of sound is transmitted through the mastoid bone (right behind your ear), and ear plugs don't stop that at all. A good set of muffs DO reduce that quite a bit.

If a sound hurts your ears, you passed "permanent damage" a few deciBels back.

I wish I'd known this a long time ago. I keep having to remind my wife and children to speak up. Not fun. It's not bad enough for hearing aids yet, but it will get there. Hearing loss is cumulative and progressive.

:(

It's your hearing, it's your choice.

Me? I'm going to do everything I can to save what I have left.

Latest posts

Back