Ppe

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back Braces

JohN Dee said:
So none of you guys wear a Backbrace?

I've heard that those are bad to wear. Alot of people told me that if you do use them you get dependent, and it can cause you to lift improperly thinking there's some magical thing there to protect your back. If lifted correctly you shouldn't have to worry about your back anyways. They also told me that you can really weaken the muscles in your back using these. Anyone else hear anything like that??? I'm not knocking them, just what I heard guy...:popcorn:

Hey man, had you ever met Steve Irwin??? He was my fave dude. I was sad about his passing a while back.

What happens when you don't use PPE/Fall Arrest Gear in ON!

Ministry of Labour

Seeley's Bay contractor jailed 30 days for health and safety violation

KINGSTON, ON, Oct. 25 /CNW/ - A partner of Peaks & Valleys Contracting, a
roofing contractor based in Seeley's Bay, Ont., was ordered jailed for 30 days
today for a violation of the Occupational Health and Safety Act that resulted
in injuries to a young employee.
On September 14, 2004, a worker fell from a roof about three storeys into
a refuse bin on the ground below. The worker suffered a bruised shin bone.
Just prior to the incident the worker had been instructed by the defendant to
ascend the roof to remove old shingles so they could be replaced. The roof was
about eight metres (27 feet) from the top of the eavestrough to the ground.
The worker had been on the roof for about 10 minutes before falling. It was
the worker's first day on the job. The incident occurred at a shingling
project at row housing on Craig Lane in Kingston. K.B. Home Insulation Ltd., a
Kingston-based contractor, was hired by the row housing's condominium
corporation for the shingling project. K.B. Home Insulation Ltd., in turn,
hired the defendant to do the work.
A Ministry of Labour investigation found the worker was not wearing a
fall harness when ascending the roof. However, as the worker lay injured in
the bin, the defendant put a fall harness on the worker and told the worker to
tell Ministry of Labour investigators the worker had been wearing it while on
the roof. The worker did as instructed.
The defendant pleaded guilty, as an employer, to failing to ensure fall
protection was used by the worker, as required by Section 26.1(2) of the
Regulations for Construction Projects. This was contrary to Section 25(1)(d)
of the act.
The jail term was imposed by Justice of the Peace Fred Ross of the
Ontario Court of Justice in Kingston.
In a separate matter, following a trial, K.B. Home Insulation Ltd. was
found guilty, as a constructor, of the following two violations of the act in
connection with the worker's fall:

<<
1. Failing to ensure the worker was adequately protected by fall
protection, as required by Section 26.1(2) of the Regulations for
Construction Projects. This was contrary to Section 23(1)(b) of the
act.
2. Failing to ensure the worker was adequately trained in the use of
fall protection, as required by Section 26.2 of the Regulations for
Construction Projects. This was contrary to Section 23(1)(b) of the
act.

Justice of the Peace Fred Ross fined the company a total of $43,000,
including $25,000 on the first count and $18,000 on the second count.
In addition to the fines, the court imposed a 25-per-cent victim fine
surcharge, as required by the Provincial Offences Act. The surcharge is
credited to a special provincial government fund to assist victims of crime"

Although this involved a construction project, it could have just as easily been a young worker in tree service sent onto a roof to remove some cut branches. Note that both contractor and subcontractor got dinged concerning this event. Lucky the guy fell into a bin!

ciscoguy01 said:
I've heard that those are bad to wear. Alot of people told me that if you do use them you get dependent, and it can cause you to lift improperly thinking there's some magical thing there to protect your back. If lifted correctly you shouldn't have to worry about your back anyways. They also told me that you can really weaken the muscles in your back using these. Anyone else hear anything like that??? I'm not knocking them, just what I heard guy...:popcorn:

Hey man, had you ever met Steve Irwin??? He was my fave dude. I was sad about his passing a while back.

those backbraces offer support to spine and back, which allows you to lift more than your muscles would allow (supporting muscles).... but the thing is that when you use em the supporting muscles get less activation and do not develop at the same rate as back muscles... And when you lift next time without brace the supporting muscles cant afford enough support and SNAP... your back gets hurt...

ciscoguy01 said:

those backbraces offer support to spine and back, which allows you to lift more than your muscles would allow (supporting muscles).... but the thing is that when you use em the supporting muscles get less activation and do not develop at the same rate as back muscles... And when you lift next time without brace the supporting muscles cant afford enough support and SNAP... your back gets hurt...

Pics of NO ppe guy in tree

I've certainly heard the same thing about backbraces. It goes for knee braces as well. I was told after knee surgery to concentrate on regaining strength in the muscles and get off the brace as soon as possible.

Hey, I took these picture TODAY, I heard some saws on my way home from the post office and doubled back to have a look - guy up a tree - ZIPPO ppe. I stopped and gave them my card, the work was being done at a housing development run by an NGO with their own employees. I know the guy in the tree, he thought he was cool! The wind was blowing right to left in the picture, they almost lost the top backwards where it would have fallen into the road below!
Sorry about the size of pics, someone can resize if they want.

Latest posts

Back