Problems with my 660...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony_Va.

XPW Fan Club
Reaction score
Well, I was going to run it today with my other saws to make a few vids. Has'nt ran in a month maybe. Had a little gas in it. I topped it off and went to start it. It started pretty normal. Was revving and idling good.
I went to stick it in wood and when I started cutting, after a second or two is choked out. I took it out of the cut, revved it up, felt normal. Stuck it in the cut and again, died out.
I noticed when I revved it up after that it sounded very lean. Almost like it did'nt have a bar on it. I looked at the gas line best I could with the full tank of gas and seen no holes. Air filter is clean and all of that.

Now, when I start it and hold a rev, it chokes out and almost dies. When it gets to full throttle it shuts out. The rest of my saws ran fine on the same gas. I pulled the muffler and the piston/cylinder wall looked perfect.

What do y'all think about that? Any ideas?

I recently had an identical experience with my 660. I let it sit for a while and grabbed another saw. Next time out, I noticed my muffler gasket and a muffler bolt laying on the ground within a minute of running it because my muffler had rattled itself completely loose except for the case bolt. I've got a gasket on the way, so I don't know if this is the problem yet, but I suspect that the inability to send a bit of a return pulse could cause the lean condition.

You might check your muffler bolts. Either way, post what you find in case the muffler bolts are not to blame.

I recently had an identical experience with my 660. I let it sit for a while and grabbed another saw. Next time out, I noticed my muffler gasket and a muffler bolt laying on the ground within a minute of running it because my muffler had rattled itself completely loose except for the case bolt. I've got a gasket on the way, so I don't know if this is the problem yet, but I suspect that the inability to send a bit of a return pulse could cause the lean condition.

You might check your muffler bolts. Either way, post what you find in case the muffler bolts are not to blame.

Well, I know it's not the muffler bolts. I jerked the muffler pretty much right away, just to check out my jug. They were good and tight. Thanks for the response bud!

I'm with Brad on this one. Pressure test everything that looks like a hose or has anything to do with a fuel line. I check new impulse and fuel lines any more just to make sure. I found a leak the other day in the plastic connection "t" thingee in the fuel line from a 066. both lines were fine but the connector had a leak. Go figure. Once your sure of the lines then check the case for seal leakage. I'm thinking one of the lines is not up to the task. Might even be collapsing under vac and not allowing fuel to pass. Check the screen in the carb too sometimes funny stuff from the fuel cans gets gunked up there, looks like snot but not easy to spot. Good luck.

Alright fellows. I'm going to get right to it. I'll let y'all know what I find out about it. I appreciate the responses. I was thinking a leak myself. I'm just not too sure of myself sometimes. :biggrin:

Well, I got it ton down. None of the lines seem to be bad. No holes or anything. There was a bunch of fine oily sawdust all around the carb. I figure it needs cleaned so I'll get on it tomorrow. I used all my carb cleaner up the other day.
I'll let you all know what I find.
100_2124.jpg

100_2125.jpg

Check the ignition kill switch wires closely too. every set i own has some frayed out sections of them. A rope around the intake boot makes installing so much easier through the carb box.

And get that dirtly old cranky 038 mag away from the 660:msp_wink::msp_wink:

j/k.....she's a beauty !!!

I took the side plates off the carb to look inside. There was some white looking gunk in there. That and there's some white buildup around some of the holes and such. I wish I had an ultrasonis cleaner.

Okay. I got some brake cleaner today to clean this sucker out. I have taken both caps off of the carb. Also pulled the jets. I've never did this before so bear wit me. Is there anything else I need to take out before cleaning? Or anything I should know?
The carb was gunked up pretty bad. White crap all in the little screen, with stuff behind that screen also. The tips of the jets had some white crap around them. Also all in behind the two covers I removed. So I'm guessing that may have been the problem.

I found no holes in either the fuel line or the impulse, but went ahead and bought new ones anyways. Also bought a new filter, and new diaphragm and gaskets.

Anything else I should get or do?

I'm going to go do a search on carb cleaning now but if anyone wants to chime in, you're more than welcome as I don't know what the crap I'm doing.:( I'ma still try it out though. :rock:

Uh oh. The brake cleaner I got has acetone in it. I was reading an old Lakeside thread that said not to use that kind. I had it soaking in it for a few minutes. Took it out and now I'm going to go get the right kind. Be back in 10. :msp_smile:

Found that white stuff in my carb too. Was few days ago when
I cleaned it up. I foun it right at the "fuel pump" in the aluminum housing of the carb where the connection of the impulse hose is found.
Dunno what it was but definatley no corrosion. Could clean it quiet
easily.

Maybe some residues of the fuel?

I am very intrested in seeing a pict of the white stuff you found in the carb. White stuff is usually corrosiuon of aluminum, if that is so that carb is likely toast.

I wish I would have took pics before I put it in the cleaner.

I did'nt look like the usual corrosion. Just kinda like some stuff you find in sprayer nozzles when you clean them. Thats about the only way I know how to explain it. I figured the ethanol was the cause of it.

It was on the tips of the jets also. And in the small screen thats inside.

Back