Problems with my 660...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had one corrode, Stihl said it was water in the fuel. I thought it strange because I use the same fuel in 3-4 saws a day from the same can and none of the other saws had corrosion in them. The saw tech claimed that the fuel containd a high sulfer content and when water gets into the fuel somehow it makes a weak acid that attacks the aluminum....H2SO4.

You hit the nail on the head from the get go.

I took a dremel with a soft brush and dusted all of it off. It came off good without scarring up the carb body so I hope that'll help keep it from coming back. Maybe she'll run, ya never know. :msp_biggrin:

If not, then we'll try a new carb.

It's a WJ-69A man. That sux. :laugh: Ida gladly took it. I appreciate the offer though.

Don't see why it won't fit...worth a try. I might have a 69 you can borrow to see if it is indeed the carb. (No such thing as "too many" 066 spare parts...I love that saw. )

I've never seen a carb rust like that but have seen aluminum do it before when in water...like Jerry said, I would check the other saws just for peace of mind.

Welcome to the world of white rust,

Either start adding this to your crap pump gas, or start using the TruFuel 40:1 in quart cans, it IS the ethanol.:msp_mad:

Bailey's site sponsor...
STA-BIL Ethanol Treatment & Engine Performance Improver - 10 oz Item # 22264
Only $7.49

Qty:

In Stock

Add a Review: Rate this!

This new treatment from from industry-leader, STA-BIL, prevents corrosion and white rust caused by today's ethanol blended fuels. It will clean your engine's fuel injectors, carburetors and intake valves for better overall performance. It also removes water from your fuel to keep your equipment running smoothly year round. Works on all 2 cycle and 4 cycle gasoline engines. 10 oz. treats 25 gallons of gasoline.
Also available in 4 oz. bottles - 22265

Definitely corrosion

Saw it last year on a costumers Suzuki outboard. Carb was totally gunked up in white crystals. At first soluted in gasoline and able to flush it out very easy. Then I got distracted from another costumer and let the carb rest for maybe half an hour. Allmost the worst thing i've done. And a blame myself today leaving the carb because of a cheapo wanting free advise! The white crystals that were in suspension in the gas before was now rock solid! And I could not resolube it with either gas or carb cleaner ( KENT One Shot, othervise awesome stuff). And it had those white residues looking like lime scale (calsium). I talked to an old guru in biz. He laughed and said "you finaly got one of those too?" Only cure he said was what you guys call murriatic acid with caution. And it was an iffy project. In the end I had to replace carb due to a stuck acceleratiom pump.
But the real suspect is the ethanol absorbing water. The guy lives next to a gasstation that sells that "green" gunk fuel and let the engine sit for a year without use.
I vote for water in fuel! Death by ethanol!
But try and do the acid trick on a spot that's not that vital in the carb. If your important parts (jets etc) are not infected I would say put together and go. Lesson learned!

Good luck

Motorsen

Okay. My parts did'nt come in today so now I am torn down until next week. :angry:

I get there and he's like "what was that carb # again?" I say WJ-69-A. He says "well they did'nt have that one listed". :bang:

I assured him that it was in fact the right number so he says he'll get it figured out monday. Really need a new dealer.

I checked the other saws. They were fine. I emptied all the tanks and ran the fuel out, then mixed with some pure gas mix. One station here has pure gas and I was too busy to go get it last time like I usually do. Lets just say the rest of the can is now on a brush fire burning. :)

I took my dremel tool and a soft brush and brusked away all of the white stuff. Down to shiny metal now. I hope some good mix will keep it from coming back. If it does come back, I'll scrap it and get a new carb. If I find another carb sometime in the future I might go ahead and swap it out anyways.

Thanks alot, crooked arsed world, for once again f-ing over the little man with this crap you call: Ethanol!

Last edited:
Stihl Part Number for WJ-69A

Anthony, sorry to hear about the misfortune and the lack of common sense at your dealer. Some of these folks are only as good as the computer screen which tells them what to do (like every place else in the modern world today).
:computer:

If so, I recommend quoting the following p/n for the WJ-69A:
1122 120 0618

If you need any 660 p/ns or service manual info, I can send you whatever you need.

Darn i put some seafoam in my tanks before winter i hope my saws are okay i heard this ethanol is a real b.... to store i hope i am okay i will fire them later today!!! also i have heard of startron enzyme fuel treatment supposed to be good!!

Alright.....soooooo.

The parts to rebuild the carb finally came in yesterday. Slapped it together and she runs like a top!

I will get a vid maybe tomorrow. The saw is really ripping. The difference between it and the 038 is night and day.

So all is well, and big Earl is runnin again!

OK, I'm no expert, but that does look like corrosion!?
Looks like it's slowly eating the Aluminum of the carb!
What causes that?:msp_scared:

I would say a combination of things, Ethanol fuel, electrolysis, and water been drawn in through the ethanol fuel. These would be what I consider the culprits. It could also be to do with the oil you are using but I doubt that. exposing aluminium to salt water and allowing it to sit will produce exactly what you see there.

Yea, I figure it was not just Eth in the fuel, but a combination of Eth and water in the fuel reacting.

I was lucky it did'nt eat into the metal, just the surface. A soft bristle brush and dremel tool cleaned it very well. It seems to run better than ever before now.

Back