Project "junk", a slow build

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, we passed the month mark. Anyone give up on this yet? I installed new crank seals(with yamabond, I've never used it here but I have it so why not?), the flywheel(tight against the cut-out on the key), and the piston and cylinder. I've read that most of these need a gasket but have seen a few that didn't so I checked at each end of the piston pin.
20180812_180559.jpg 20180812_180412.jpg
So looks like we're gonna assemble it with no gasket. Had to take the daughter school clothes shopping so I didn't get any farther today.

Check that, I got back and decided to get the piston and cylinder assembled. I have an endless supply of zip-ties, so I use those to compress rings. I skipped pics of that. But I can't remember seeing pics of the yama/honda/1194/dirko/whatever other sealant(not RTV folks, it won't hold up) process so I thought I'd show my redneck way. Paper towel and Q-tips, one half at a time.
20180812_185301.jpg 20180812_185556.jpg

All painted. The q-tips actually un-wind quickly and act like more of a brush as you go. That said I go through a few of them.
20180812_185804.jpg
All sealed up. At this pace the Yamabond setting shouldn't be a problem eh? Actually I've painted, sealed, and bolted the rest of a saw together and ran in the same night. And it's still going, I think Y4 is pretty good stuff.
20180812_191827.jpg

Nice! Doesn’t matter what I use for them sealants, I’ve tried dirk o, Y4, etc... always happen to get it EVERYWHERE on the saw and myself :laugh:

I shall try q-tips next time

that 2nd to last posted pic.. maybe it’s me but is the case misaligned with that step on the furthest case mating surface?

Nice! Doesn’t matter what I use for them sealants, I’ve tried dirk o, Y4, etc... always happen to get it EVERYWHERE on the saw and myself :laugh:

I shall try q-tips next time
I used to use cheap crayola paint brushes. There's really no need. I see I got a little on the crank counterweights tonight. After you've done a few you relax and realize a little does a lot.

I use 518 because it remains a liquid anyplace it’s still exposed to air (ie every place but where it needs to seal).

So no risk of a big blob of it interfering with air flow.

I use a wooden coffee stirrer, cut square at an angle on the end, to spread sealant. It works for me.

To check true squish, you really need to use solder that’s very close to intended squish. I use .024 solder.

You need to check in all 4 direction, so 4 pieces on the crown held there with grease, then multiple revolutions. You don’t want rock to affect measurements.

But I take the same shortcut you do, I do it through the plug hole over the pin. I also have started turning the engine over with a drill to check squish. That way, it crushes the solder hundreds of times. I’ve come to find that prior measurements have been off as much as .005 vs. just turning over by hand.

Your build looks really good.

I use 518 because it remains a liquid anyplace it’s still exposed to air (ie every place but where it needs to seal).

So no risk of a big blob of it interfering with air flow.

I use a wooden coffee stirrer, cut square at an angle on the end, to spread sealant. It works for me.

To check true squish, you really need to use solder that’s very close to intended squish. I use .024 solder.

You need to check in all 4 direction, so 4 pieces on the crown held there with grease, then multiple revolutions. You don’t want rock to affect measurements.

But I take the same shortcut you do, I do it through the plug hole over the pin. I also have started turning the engine over with a drill to check squish. That way, it crushes the solder hundreds of times. I’ve come to find that prior measurements have been off as much as .005 vs. just turning over by hand.

Your build looks really good.
Thank you sir. Nice to hear from someone who has as many creamsicles under his belt as you do.

I wondered if anyone would question why I didn't check squish in four places, especially since I used a used piston. I don't have an excuse. Laziness?

@CJ Brown I looked at the IPL tonight but it doesn't really give much on the types. It does call out the fleece filter though. @drf255 can you advise?

I got it back together tonight. I want to wait until he runs it to open the muffler. I'm thinking noise will trump power on this one. It is gasket deleted and timing advanced so it should do fine with 20". I never noticed that neither of the saws had bar nuts so I need those. I picked up an abandoned once sharped 33rs72 loop tonight for the sharpening fee, and @r black is sending me an almost new bar.
20180813_190908.jpg 20180813_190917.jpg 20180813_190934.jpg
I will update after I take it out. Thanks to all that have chimed in. If anyone has any other questions ask here or via PM.

Nice job, man.

The variations of the air filters will come down to what he’s cutting and what you want that saw to be. I use the oem (only way to go for 034s imo) fleece but have tried the metal mesh as well.
Thank you. He's a virgin with a saw so I have to believe the chain could produce dust at some point. If this were for me I would have went further. I still have most of the 034 left so I can try it later if i want. I have a couple 55-60cc husky projects too so I should maybe do an in house build off at some point.

They flow better but I don't like the wire mesh filters as they let fines through.

My 066 came with mesh filter (my only new ever saw). I checked carb and after two tanks on a new saw had fines inside carb. Put on HD filter and never went back.

Chainsaws are a tough nut to crack when it comes to filters that both flow and filter. I'll go with a laster than a faster

@CJ Brown I looked at the IPL tonight but it doesn't really give much on the types. It does call out the fleece filter though. @drf255 can you advise?

I got it back together tonight. I want to wait until he runs it to open the muffler. I'm thinking noise will trump power on this one. It is gasket deleted and timing advanced so it should do fine with 20". I never noticed that neither of the saws had bar nuts so I need those. I picked up an abandoned once sharped 33rs72 loop tonight for the sharpening fee, and @r black is sending me an almost new bar.
View attachment 668659 View attachment 668660 View attachment 668661
I will update after I take it out. Thanks to all that have chimed in. If anyone has any other questions ask here or via PM.
Is that dawg right o_O.
Chainsaws are a tough nut to crack when it comes to filters that both flow and filter. I'll go with a laster than a faster
Now that is a loaded sentence :innocent:.

Back