Project Stumpbroke 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hang my head in shame to tell you I haven't even unpacked it.

Shall I pull out some excuses? We've broken all records for high temps Oct. and Nov. RAIN, rain and more rain. Did I mention it has been raining the last three or four months? I pulled some muscle in my back, was out of work for a week. Doc told me not to exercise for at least a month. Ironic thing was I had planned to begin lifting weights again just that week.

I haven't lifted anything since I put the box in my storage.

Sorry (hanging head in shame and scuffing shoe in dust[mud]).

Just moving a 3120 around in the box would qualify as lifting weights...kinda sorta...

I have no dogs or even puppies in this fight but I did read every post from the beginning in hopes that the last post would provide some closure for everybody.

I'm glad it seems that closure was reached and people are getting their saws back.

I suppose this thing happens everyday in the business world but maybe not to such a tight knit community like AS. Word travels fast, especially on here whether the word is good or bad.

G

Greg--yes members are getting or did get their saws back from Stumpy--most likely due to intervention from other members. However, there are some members (me included) that are getting the Stumpy treatment from Moody. This is particularly ironic based on Moody's representations and responses in this thread regarding Stumpy.

The adverse impact of this situation is that it brings an unwarranted reputation to all builders (see KanJax comment above) when there are trustworthy builders with a long and stellar reputation.

Lesson learned from my experience--use a trusted and longstanding source for work on a saw.

Last edited:
I want to say that STUMPY built me two great saws. His friendship at the GTG we have both been at was great. Always there to help and teach this neofite. It is a shame that issues have sullied the good work he has done for a number of us.

There are a number of other builders and moders on AS that can and will give great service to anyone who wants to have a moded saw. And, that beast of an 880 is really fun to use (only for a short time) in big Oak here or when I need to noodle down rounds so that I can move them. The two smaller saws that STUMPY did for me are the two I go to most of the time for work around the house and on the firewood pile.

Keep STUMPY in your heart and hope that he can work out his issues and come back to the AS family.

Hal

Stumpy is a good guy, strange stuff can happen even to good guys. I do wish he would have told us happened.

Heck Moody seems like a good feller too. Let's let him sign in and tell us what's going on with him.

Only builder I can vouch for is the one on Cuddle Ln......... haven't had a reason to look elsewhere. Doesn't make sense to have a newb work on a $1k saw when for the same money you can get an experienced builder that delivers consistant results.

Found the best way to start this 3120 is pull it to top dead center slowly then recoil and pull. Gets rid of ripping the cord out of you fingers.

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk

Having torn tendons in my hand I start saws like this: I use the tips of my fingers, as if I was hanging onto a windowsill, pull to just before TDC and then give a mighty yank. I do NOT grip the entire recoil handle. It also helps on the big saws to use snogo starting handles.

How do you know when you are at Top Dead Center? Are you talking about the piston being at the top of the cylinder? Please explain.

Yup. Give it a slow pull until you feel it compress at the top of the stroke. It'll noticably bind up. Then return the rewind spring and give her a rip.

Like starting a 250R without beaking your shin on recoil backlash.

Yup. Give it a slow pull until you feel it compress at the top of the stroke. It'll noticably bind up. Then return the rewind spring and give her a rip.

Like starting a 250R without beaking your shin on recoil backlash.

I will see if I can feel what you are talking about when I get home tonight. Does it matter if you have a compression release or not? Thanks

What kind of accent do you Tennessee guys have, I fish a lot in eastern Tennessee and those people don't talk much different than southern Illinois. That must be one of those eastern accents like saying rad e ator...

Latest posts

Back