Project Stumpbroke How I do it

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now for the ex side of the exhaust port and also for the muffler could you use your gasket for a reference? I think I've read that some where or do you go bigger then that?

Hi Stumpy from downunder.

Thank you for this thread, I have been studying porting, and I am thinking of using my 4620 as a test mule. The reason is that if I screw it up I wont care too much.

One area that I am still getting to grips with is the timing numbers. How are you determining what the timing numbers should be, and what are you looking for in those timing numbers. If you are porting for torque, what would you do to the ports.

Thank you again.

Regards
Graham

I despise every post you make because on every post, the girl in your avatar still hasn't moved her arm. :msp_angry:

wish i new how to do photo shop. and what about this sorry for the derail

attachment.php

ps great thread stumpy

Stumpy,I see you in a different light.What's next for you a beret and ear surgery?I think that snipe by Randy was most unfortunate,"Strumpet?":msp_wink:

HA HA, I've been called that by other members too. It's pretty bad when your nickname has nicknames.

Now for the ex side of the exhaust port and also for the muffler could you use your gasket for a reference? I think I've read that some where or do you go bigger then that?

I go way bigger than the ex port & dont use a gasket. You can see from the pics of the ex outlet that it's significantly bigger. I use permatex ultrablack to seal it up.

Hi Stumpy from downunder.

Thank you for this thread, I have been studying porting, and I am thinking of using my 4620 as a test mule. The reason is that if I screw it up I wont care too much.

One area that I am still getting to grips with is the timing numbers. How are you determining what the timing numbers should be, and what are you looking for in those timing numbers. If you are porting for torque, what would you do to the ports.

Thank you again.

Regards
Graham

This my friend, is what takes time to figure out what is the best, I'm still tryin different timing #'s all the time to see what they do. I useually start out finding out what the stock #'s are and adjust from there. There is no set #'s that I go by. I concentrate mainly on the intake & transfers. But those depend on case volume, carb size, ect, ect. FOr torque you need to have the combustion or power cycle happening for as long as possible.

For those of you that refer to me as an artist, i don't feel that way. I just love doin what I do. Hot rodding is in my blood & chainsaws are much cheaper to deal with that trucks & cars. I can afford to blow a saw up pushing the edge. But I guess if you insist on calling me an artist..........................................................................
images

Idles at twenty eight thousand? Dang. :D
MAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep it screems @ idle, pull the trigger & it slows down enough to cut.:msp_w00t::msp_w00t:
Great numbers. That'll make someone a great runner.

Tanks Brad, it pull real nice.:msp_wink:
great thread , do you ever do anything to pistons during the builds ?

Usually just a little bit of profiling or lightening. I don't do popups unless it's a clamshell.

Can this thread be made into a sticky?

i think its a great thread for people who are interested in porting but havent done it to wrap there head around in order to understand what happens to a saw when it gets ported. Obviously there can be variations of any aspect depending on builder, but Stumpys thread is deff deserving of being made a sticky.

Can this thread be made into a sticky?

i think its a great thread for people who are interested in porting but havent done it to wrap there head around in order to understand what happens to a saw when it gets ported. Obviously there can be variations of any aspect depending on builder, but Stumpys thread is deff deserving of being made a sticky.

I guess I could make it a sticky, but not sure if it belongs or not. Maybee Brad should start a poll on if this thread should be a sticky or not.:msp_biggrin:

I guess I could make it a sticky, but not sure if it belongs or not. Maybee Brad should start a poll on if this thread should be a sticky or not.:msp_biggrin:

I vote yes. Let's have a "what porting is about" sticky.
this is the best porting thread I've seen so far.
BTW: this thread might lead me to (finally) try porting one of my saws I don't care messing up. Nevertheless, if I wish to port one of my good worksaws, I could only trust a real professional to do the job. Rep sent!

Back