Project Stumpbroke Husky 359

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that what you found on yours? Mine does have the Walbro on it, so maybe that's a good thing.

Yep. The popoff pressure was over 40lbs. Even with the pop off pressure fixed, it still wouldn't hold a tune. Slapped on a 199 walbro, and bingo, no more probs.

First I've heard that. My ported OE has the 357 Zama carb and it does fine?

Once u go so far with the port work, they just won't feed it. Myself, randy and terry all had the same problems, all with brand spankin 357 zama's.

Have you put a degree wheel on it yet? Did you have some timming #'s in mind before you started or did you cut the squish then raise the ports the same? Just wondering how you decide what to start with first. Also which #'s do you want to change to make more power?
Looks good btw.
jnl

Yep. The popoff pressure was over 40lbs. Even with the pop off pressure fixed, it still wouldn't hold a tune. Slapped on a 199 walbro, and bingo, no more probs.

Once u go so far with the port work, they just won't feed it. Myself, randy and terry all had the same problems, all with brand spankin 357 zama's.

Thanks for the info, Wiggs.

As long as the carb isn't givin any troubles, there's no reson to replace it. I'm finally geting this thing back together.

The walbro on mine runs great now. From what I understand, u either have a good walbro, or a bad one. Some run years with no trouble, some are junk from the get go.

The walbro on mine runs great now. From what I understand, u either have a good walbro, or a bad one. Some run years with no trouble, some are junk from the get go.

Yes I often wondered the same thing until my older '04 started acting up. It seemed like the same carb was in production for 7-8 years before they started having all those problems. Just wondering if ethanol infected gas became more commonplace and that caused the seals around the accelerator pump to degrade/fail?

That's what I like to hear! What's the comp numbers?

Not as high as the Deere, but it has a bigger combustion chamber. It pumped up to 185psi. It was pullin around 11,000 rpms (in the cut) in the vid.

I'll post the rest of the pics & the numbers here in a bit. I got some cleanin up to do outside.

I ended up useing the original muffler since it was easier to gut. Here's what was inside of the "CAT" muffler.
100_1522.jpg

This is what I took out.
100_1528.jpg

I build the shrouds out of sheet metal.
100_1523.jpg

100_1526.jpg

100_1525.jpg

100_1524.jpg

I painted it with high temp engine semi gloss black.

Here's the stock timing #'s.

EX 105*
dur 150*

TR 122*
dur 116*

IN 104*
dur 152*

BD 17*
SQ .037"

Stumpbroke #'s

EX 100*
dur 160*