Protective Apparel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blizzard

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hey just wondering who had the best (safest) protective apparel for cutting. Like chaps, pants, gloves, jackets. I am specifically talking about apparel that has the lining that stops chainsaws on contact. Also, how are stihl's protective apparel in regard to this stuff? Thanks

Husqvarna chaps work !!!

Before a few years ago I was an idiot and used only gloves and eye protection. Then I cut a spring about 4" in diameter that was over some power lines in an ice storm and that f***ing thing hit me in the forehead as hard as I've ever been hit by anything. I stumbled away, shut off my saw, and took off my gloves. I reached up to feel my forehead and got to touch my own cranium with my fingers. Funny thing was I could feel a big gap in my skin and the various other fleshy meat that comprised my forehead and there really wasn't much blood. So I turned to my Father who was helping me and asked him how bad my head was. He turned GREY! So after a trip to the ER and a very skilled (I'm lucky they were good) stitch job (15 inside and about a dozen outside theymade me purty again. The moral of the story is to WEAR A HELMET !!!!. For simple bucking now I don't wear one, but for all other cutting and felling ALWAYS. And chaps are a MUST. I've caught my Husqvarna chaps 2 times(minor enough to Duct tape) in the last 4 years and they stopped that saw dead. I'm real happy with my Husky Helmet, Gloves, and chaps. :chainsaw:

Last edited:
Chainsaw boots will help you keep your toes where they belong. Steel toe are a good second choice.

Chaps that wrap around your calf will protect you when carrying the saw, and the chance carelessness or stumble that brings the bar into your heels, ankle, calf. Wraparounds are nice in the underbrush too.

There is a shirt type artical of clothing that protects your shoulders and upper arms, very light weight, and has the kevlar in it to stop the chain in a kickback situation. One of the sponsors on the site carries it, check the sponsors listed on AS homepage.

Helmet with screen and muffs is great, and if you catch a glare from the screen, just spray it with some flat black spray paint.

Steel Toe

Great Point! Always have steel toe boots on when cutting. Has saved me a lot with wood splitter too from falling pieces :chainsaw:

I hate to admit this, but when I first started serious cutting here in TN, I didnt bother with any protective gear except ear plugs. Wore tank top, shorts, and tennis shoes. My legs looked like they had been chewed up and spit out from the brush.
After a nasty tumble out of a pile of logs with a saw running at full speed, I bought a woodsman helmet, Husky chaps, and good sturdy gloves.
I do occasionally wear shorts under my chaps in really hot weather, but I still wear my boots with my shorts. I dont care if I do look odd going into the curb store to pay for my gas wearing shorts and boots.

Shorts under chaps!!!

Quite a slave to fashion you are! Sounds like you and I learned the easy way. Most people don't realize that a chainsaw is about 100 times more dangerous to it's user than a gun is! I've yet to wear shorts under my chaps but I may consider it. :chainsaw:

well if the saw does get through the chaps i dont think that jeans are going to help much if its still chewing. mabey for piece of mind, but not much else.
i dont have much experience with anything other than husky gear. i wear husqvarna lite 28 boots (soon to be replaced with labonville boots) husqvarna chaps (Non raparound) husqvarna gloves, and a construction hard hat with peltor muffs and face screen. works well for me, but i have never cut a pair of chaps or snapped a helmet, hopefully i never get the chance!

Back