PS-5100: 3/8" or .325" pitch chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The MS361 is sold at a very good price here in Norway, compared to most other saws, but you hardly need it, when you have the 5100 and the 372xp.....

...but how to define need, really.....:biggrinbounce2: :yoyo: :yoyo: :laugh:

Well, he may not nead it BUT.......
Like you said, you can't really define NEAD

You can always use one more back-up saw

SawTroll: I found the Dolmar on Ebay. Not many there compared to the other makes, and some only ship inside the US. You are right, the PS-5100S is a US model only. From what I have found, only carb. details, the black top and the coil with + 1K differs from the PS-5000 sold here. Perhaps other details as well. ......

I hadn't notised that the carb is different, and I don't think there is much more than you mentioned, if any, that is different.

3/8 on mine.

I use 3/8 Stihl chain, full comp. on the "Dolmar" (Oregon) bar, it's 18" drive link count = 64 links.
The Oregon chain was a bit soft, I had to sharpen it more often than the Stihl chains I have one my other saws. So I put Stihl chain on my Dolmar also.

Not suprising, since I took a giant gulp of the Stihl kool-aid.:cheers:

Later,
Mitch

I ran .325 on my 5100 most of the winter, but when I finally switched to LGX, I found I preferred it, especially in softwood. And it's easier to see well when sharpening...

hello

the 5100's that we have where i work run .325 X .058. no problems as long as it is not safety chain.

talcott

SawTroll: I found the Dolmar on Ebay. Not many there compared to the other makes, and some only ship inside the US. You are right, the PS-5100S is a US model only. From what I have found, only carb. details, the black top and the coil with + 1K differs from the PS-5000 sold here. Perhaps other details as well.

TDunk: The only Stihl I have is a MS 260, from 2006. I have considered a MS 660 for my Logosol M7 sawmill, but the electrical motor makes less noice! From what I have heard, the Stihl 361 sounds interesting. Perhaps this could be my next saw? That is the best buy for this saw?

My other saws are mainly Husqvarna: 372XP, 455 Farmer, 346XP, 242G, 42 Special. Plus a Dolmar PS-5100S this spring. I also have two rather old Jobu saws (Senior and Junior). Both in running order.

The Dolmar is mine. So no we are two owner's with Dolmar.

Welcome, good to see a new Norwegian's here!:) :) :)

Witch and Troll what b/c for the Dolmar ???

And Esbjug welcome :)

16" Oregon Pro-Lite, and 73LGX chains (also have a few 73LP that will fit).

Here is Witchys saw, before it was shipped here:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Last edited:
I think thats the perfect set up for the 5100, most i sell are .325, smoother then 3/8s and even with the 7 pin rim it comes with there's little if any differents in cut time then 3/8s, but fit it with the 8 pin, sawwitch will like it. ( so will you).

I have heard several people say that the 3/8 is just as fast if not faster than the .325. For me it doesn't amke much difference. I would go with what is compatible with your other saws (if you have any) so chains will be interchangeable.

16" Oregon Pro-Lite, and 73LGX chains (also have a few 73LP that will fit).

Here is Witchys saw, before it was shipped here:

How do you like the LGX chain? And how does it differ from LPX? I've run some LP(on a 262&372) and I think RSC and even RMC are superior. But twice the price. Maybe the X-series are closer in performance?

/Nisse

Haven't tried the LGX yet, or Witchys Dolmar - ordered it with that chain, just to try it.

LGX is the new version of the LG, and closely resembles Stihl RS in configuration.

None of these chains have the low-vibe chassis, that the LP and RSC has.

I have nothing but good to say about either RSC or LP, but given the choise I prefer the RSC.

Try filing the LP at 30 degrees, not 25...........

Last edited:
I have heard several people say that the 3/8 is just as fast if not faster than the .325. For me it doesn't amke much difference. I would go with what is compatible with your other saws (if you have any) so chains will be interchangeable.

For some reason, the 3/8" chains seem easier to sharpen also........:)

Out of curiosity, do the Husqvarna rim sprockets work on the Dolmar 5100? If yes, is there a small ID and large ID rim sprocket that Husqvarna sells and if so, which fits the 5100 and the 6400?

I've been running .325 NK. Its very fast. I have not run it against 3/8th though. I agree with Rb in Va, a 1/2 a scond one way or another doesn't matter to me. I seldom spend 8 hours all day cutting.

I've been running .325 NK. Its very fast. I have not run it against 3/8th though. I agree with Rb in Va, a 1/2 a scond one way or another doesn't matter to me. I seldom spend 8 hours all day cutting.

That is true, but it is fun to compare - I surely will try the NK setups from the 353 on that Dolmar....:biggrinbounce2:

Good point. WOT-time is a low percentage of a days work in the woods.
But, of course, it IS the really fun part and that's what matters most.

/Nisse

Out of curiosity, do the Husqvarna rim sprockets work on the Dolmar 5100? If yes, is there a small ID and large ID rim sprocket that Husqvarna sells and if so, which fits the 5100 and the 6400?

Yes, whatever brand of rims will fit both Husky and Dolmar, and I also supect that they are made on the same factory (Oregon?), maybe with the exception of GB ones.;)

Small 7-spline ones will fit the 5100, and large 7-spline ones the 6400 etc.

Back