Put A Value On This Custom Saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yotaismygame

Juiced Saws #GetJuiced
Reaction score
I built this saw for myself about a year ago, kind of as a poster child. Since then it's pretty much just sat around. Maybe has two tanks of fuel through it. It's not a race saw, built to do work. All the magnesium has been Cerakoted, dyed plastics, fully rebuilt, ceramic hybrid crank bearings, full port work. Makes around 190 psi. Now recently I've offered it out to a few local loyal customers just for the heck of it. I tend to sell saws cheaper than most, especially to guys that I've become friends with. How much would you spend on a saw like this? I'll reveal what I've asked for it once I get some opinions. I don't want to sell myself short on this one so I'm curious what you all have to say.
1.jpg2.jpg 3.jpg4.jpg

What parts are not OEM/Chi-Com? I'll give you a break on the bearings if they match up.
All OEM except the bearings are from Dominant saw.
It's hard to put a value on machines like that because some people would pay more for those mods than others.

I built some Mac 125s for myself and I'm in the debacle - I've spent a lot of time and money but I doubt I'll find customers willing to invest enough so I at least cover my parts.
Agreed.

It's hard to put a value on machines like that because some people would pay more for those mods than others.

I built some Mac 125s for myself and I'm in the debacle - I've spent a lot of time and money but I doubt I'll find customers willing to invest enough so I at least cover my parts.
Agreed. Once they are modified you are looking at a much smaller audience or cross section of owner/ users but to the right person that knows and wants modified saws then there is a better chance of selling it for close to what its worth. $1100.saw here any day but only to those who know them.

Let's just say my cliental are guys who for one cut wood professionally and two prefer to run modified saws. Completely agree that anything modified narrows the amount of buyers. I think I'm doing alright on this one. I have an offer for $1200 on it. Was actually thinking 1300-1400 but that's tough to ask for when you could buy a brand new saw for that money. Also Oregon absolutely eats up anything Stihl or Husky labeled. I look at it like this. Go out and buy a good condition, good running 064. Send that saw off to be ported. You'll be in the 900 range right there alone. Not to mention that saw would not be custom or even rebuilt.

Thanks for the help. Here I thought I might be on the low end lol. I don't sell saws too often anymore, or even buy them. They come to me now :laugh:

Not to mention that saw would not be custom or even rebuilt.
Custom…..It’s only custom for the person you did it for. Which is you. In order to recover what you have into it, you’d need to find someone that wants nearly the same thing done.

As far as the ceramic bearings, I don’t think that’s worth anything because there’s no real proof that they are any better than what was in it, or would be in any other 064 in good used condition.

It is a good looking clean saw though

I get paid to cut dangerous trees , so I guess thats professional??? Haha not really ,I'd rather be lucky then Good.
The mods on this saw are not a good look when cutting on federal leased property and could garnish me with some big fines, so not all mods are a good idea.
I'm suspicious of any non performance modifications kinda " what you trying to hide with that paint job ?" Thing. But I customize some of my saws and if you have a quality reputation it wouldn't affect price.
I'd be in the 650-700$ range.

To me the cosmetic mods detract from its value. Not sure how I feel on the ceramic bearings as well. I would also be very leery of a saw ported by someone without a long, well known track record. Over the years there have been many hacks doing port work and even of the guys doing it now my list is very short. This is not ment to diminish the OP or a criticism in any way of his saw. It's just not my cup of tea and I wouldn't be interested in it at any price.

Back