Quad for skidding and firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
American made junk? Pretty harsh opinion certain to rub a few. Even though there is a great bit to be gleaned from these forums you have to separate the biased from the experienced willing to share and contribute real experiences. You have plenty of info is this your personal experience or opinion?

Last edited:
American made junk? Pretty harsh opinion certain to rub a few. Even though there is a great bit to be gleaned from these forums you have to separate the biased from the experienced willing to share and contribute real experiences. You have plenty of info is this your personal experience or opinion?

Some opinion and some experience. I've been riding atv's for years and grew up around them. Between friends and I we have owned a # of machines and brands. Polaris is one that will never be in my stable again from past experiences and from watching friends waste their money on new junk.

Not meant to rub you or anyone the wrong way but just the way I feel. If you have had good luck with them then that's a plus for you.

I have a Suzuki King Quad 700 that is fuel injected and I use it all the time to pull the logs out of the woods. Its has 4 wheel differential lock so all tires pull. Two weeks ago I used it to pull out an 15 in dia hickory 18 feet long. Had to have the diff lock on and pulled it up a slight incline and around several other trees in the woods. Most of the time I will cut the sections down to 8 to 10 feet depending on how large the log is. Most of the time if you can get it moving it will pull it. Got some skidding tongs this year and they make a big difference. Lot easier that using just a log chain and trying to get it under the log. Use to use my little 300 artic cat but had to cut the logs down to smaller lengths but it worked. I have a small trailer that I hook up to it also to pull around too. The shocks on it are also adjustable. Would like to get a log arc to help out, will have to look into making me one this winter.

Last edited:
I have a 2004 Honda Foreman. I have used it to pull some pretty heavy logs for about a quarter mile. (12' Cypress about 18" in diameter) and some Oak of assorted sizes. I have not done a lot of this on a daily basis but it did what I needed. I agree that if you are going to do this the biggest you can afford is probably best. The big Polaris that the military uses with a winch on both ends should work well.

Two main consideration when buying an ATV is ground clearance when sitting on it and how low the lowest gear is. Does anyone know what bike has the lowest gear?
John

If you can afford it an arctic cat prowler is an excellent choice. mine has 3400 miles and we have been more than abusive to it, they are designed to be fixed by shade tree mechanics so everything is pretty simple and straight forward. they are available from 500cc to 1000cc so take your pick.

I think quads have a long way to go as far as utility machines. They should have pto's and 3point hitch, back and front. I wouldn't mind paying more for these options which would put the price up to 15-16G's.
John

I used to use a 300 king quad for everything around the farm. I sold it to a friend when it had 2600 miles. It has pulled trucks, farm equipment, and hundreds of logs. It has only had oil changes and some new bearings on the rear axles because of overloading it and wearing them out. It has been super reliable for me and him and has 4000 miles on it and I don't know how many hours.

I got the itch for a new bigger machine and got a 500 arctic cat because it had the most ground clearance at the time. I never had a bit of trouble using it the same way in 2 years. It weighed a little more and would pull bigger logs. We even moved a 847 new holland round baler around in the barnyard with it.

I have a Suzuki 450 King Quad and have had very good luck with it. It has near 4000 km with only a torn cv boot (from me running over some old fence) for repairs. I have skidded and towed hundreds of cords with it.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I think quads have a long way to go as far as utility machines. They should have pto's and 3point hitch, back and front. I wouldn't mind paying more for these options which would put the price up to 15-16G's.
John

For that kind of cash you'd be better off looking for a small Kubota or Case or something with those features.

shoot, i just use my garden tractors. it's alot of fun.

LOL I did that too for a year before I got the quad. You should have seen the look on my neighbor's face when I came rolling out of the bush into my backyard on the 18HP Craftsman tractor with a ~10" X 20' Pine tree in tow! Not a fun ride though, having no suspension and practically no ground clearance. I needed chains to get much moving though with the turf tires.

This is a good thread....alot of nice setups that make me envious!!
Im going to throw this out there..im sure i'll get bashed.

Anyone ever use a 2wheel tractor? I use My troy bilt (pto model) horse tiller with tine box removed and a skidder plate and chains in place of the tine box. It also has a log splitter attachment available but have not found one for sale. it doesnt have the capacity of the machines all you fellas use...but i can get into tighter places. where i cut I cant just cut down trees to make me a trail...I have to go between trees of timber value. My only issues are traction and keepin my feet out of the way but i can pull decent logs..nothing huge for timber but this is firewood skidding hardwoods. After seeing this this thread and all your great ideas..you guys have given me the inspiration for a logging arch attatchment for the troybilt to pull even heavier laods...you would have to see one in action before you call a troy bilt horse a waste of time....it pulls more pay load than my yamaha bear tracker 250....I know thats more of a trail rider not a skidder..way too light and no 4wd....
I have yet to stop the wheels on the horse.....or even bog the kohler magnum 8 down....I pull in high gear at a fast walk speed. Its kinda fun...beats carrying it out by hand in smaller pieces.

I can also vouch for the Suzuki king quad. Mine is a late 90s model so it has seen some use and abuse. The independent rear suspension is a big plus to me. it has gears, so no belts to spin. Low is really low, you can get just about anything moving. Diff locks. All around just a great work horse. I can also say I have a yamaha Kodiak, and a polaris at the the same time, and I always get the zuki out for "work". I can skid, but I prefer to cut where it lays, and pull a small trailer right up to it and load it there. I have a small trailer that is slightly wider than the quad. It has full size tires, and a 1750lb axle, so weight it not a issue with it at all. I have a set of tire chains for winter use and it has no trouble pulling through a foot of snow.

My #2 wood machine is a 2000 Isuzu Rodeo. 6 cylinders, 4wd, heat in winter, radio to keep me entertained. Used abused and will skid out 12" logs within reasonable length. I paid $500 for it, and it has earned its keep for sure. Beats any quad hands down, and sure was a heckuva lot cheaper. It can also drive me to the woods, and into town for a snack or gas.

Last edited:
Back