Quad for skidding and firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I still think we are almost on topic..... either way almost all new quads will pull wood. I think you will be suprised what a 400CC quad will pull but remember you want the machine to last aswell so hooking up to a monster log each time will kill your quad.

quad draggin logs

These must be small diameter logs? Green logs of an size must be difficult to drag and certainly not down hill? Any green log of much size is real heavy.

I've never had any problems skidding wood with my Polaris sportsman, nice 3500# winch when needed. If that don't do the work then I jump on the Farmall M, now that's an ATV !

I gave up skidings logs with my atv, alot more work and dirty wood to cut. If I am in an area I cannot get to with the tractor, I cut and block on site and use my atv and trailer to load it up. 16 cu/ft trailer and a honda 350, a face cord in three trips.........and it gets me out of the house, and much faster then using the tractor. I can drive 35km/hr with a trailer of wood on the bike, the tractor....i'd still be in the bush. With the mobility of an atv and trailer, I no longer have to cut trees down just to get the tractor in, makes for alot more selective cutting, and hey my atv has suspension...........my 8N and Kubota do not!

The old Traxters are tough work machines. Some were sold by John Deere. They are also heavy and easy to get on and off. I would suggest a manual shift model if you can find one. Made in Canada too.

2003 ATV Lineup Bombardier Traxter Max
Jan. 01, 2003
By ORC STAFF Email Print Discuss
With all the features of the award-winning Traxter, the Traxter® MAX pulls double duty as the world’s first two-seater quad. It features a step-up driver/passenger seat installed as a fully integrated component. Built on an extended Traxter frame for greater stability and carrying capacity, and featuring a 498cc Rotax® engine, the Traxter MAX now makes it possible to take someone along for the ride.
MSRP : $7,399 Technical Specifications

ENGINE
Manufacturer Rotax®
Type 4-stroke, 1 cylinder, 2 valves, 2 spark plugs
Displacement 498 cc
Bore & Stroke 89 x 80 mm
Torque @ rpm 30 Nm @ 3000 rpm
Starter Electric start with auxiliary recoil; start in any gear
Lubrication Wet sump
Decompressor Automatic
Carburetor Mikuni BSR33
Electrical output - ACG 320-410 W range - DENSO
COOLING
Type Liquid cooled
Radiator Large/rear-mounted
Ethylene-glycol / water concentration 50/50
DRIVE TRAIN
Transmission 5-speed, electric/hydraulic gear shift, low/high forward speeds, neutral, reverse & park. Reverse in any gear with speed limiter. Selectable auto-shift with manual shifting option.
Clutch type 1 centrifugal and 1 multi-disc hydraulically controlled
Front differential Shaft driven / single auto-lock differential (pump driven)
Rear axle Shaft driven / solid axle
DIMENSIONS/CAPACITIES OVERALL
Overall height 52 in. (1325 mm)
Overall length 92 in. (2324 mm)
Overall width 47 in. (1194 mm)
Wheel base 61 in. (1550 mm)
Wheel track - front 39 in. (992 mm)
Wheel track - rear 37 in. (940 mm)
Turning radius 93 in. (2362 mm)
Fuel tank 5.3 US gal. (20 L)
Front tires 25 x 8 x 12 in. (635 x 203 x 305 mm)
Rear tires 26 x 10 x 12 in. (660 x 254 x 305 mm)
Front wheels 12 in. diam. x 6.5 in. wide (305 x 165 mm)
Rear wheels 12 in. diam. x 8 in. wide (305 x 203 mm)
GROUND CLEARANCE
Front & under engine 9.6 in. (244 mm)
Rear axle 7.4 in. (188 mm)
LOADING CAPACITY
Seat capacity Two-steps driver/passenger seating.
Front rack 90 lb (40 kg)
Rear rack 175 lb (80 kg)
Front storage tray 8 US gal. (30 L)
Console
Side boxes
Rear cargo box
Total vehicle load allowed 640 lb (290 kg)
Towing capacity 1100 lbs (500 kg)
VEHICLE WEIGHT
Dry vehicle weight 795 lb (362 kg)
SUSPENSION
FRONT SUSPENSION
Front suspension type Independent suspension - single A-arm
Front suspension travel 7 in. (178 mm)
REAR SUSPENSION
Rear suspension type Rigid swing-arm
Rear suspension travel 7.5 in. (190.5 mm)
BRAKES
Handlebar control L.H. Rear wheels brake (mechanical cable / hydraulic)

R.H. Front wheels brake
Foot control Rear wheels brake
Front brake type/qty 2 drilled hydraulic discs
Rear brake type/qty 1 drilled hydraulic disc
Parking device Sub-transmission park
INSTRUMENTATION
Gauge Trip odometer, speedometer (accurate low range), hour meter
Fuel gauge Mechanical type
Pilot lamps Reverse-Neutral-Auto
1-2-3-4-5
Oil pressure / water temperature (with different codes)
High beam
EQUIPMENT/ELECTRICAL
DC outlets Lighter type in console (cellular phone use)
Standard connector at the back (15 A)
Racks Front and rear
LIGHTING On-Off switch combined with ignition key
Front 2 fender-mounted headlamps (55 W), 2 mudguard-mounted amber reflectors
Rear 1 tail/brake light, 2 mudguard-mounted red reflectors
Battery 12 V, 19 Ah (20 Ah optional)

Ron

I think people are underestimating what a good utility quad can do. I've pushed 16" of snow with mine, and the IRS isn't a problem if you're skidding. I wouldn't recommend putting a ton of weight on the tongue. If anything IRS is better because on uneven terrain it keeps all four wheels firmly planted. With full lockers and stock mudlites it takes a lot to make it lose traction. With me, my winch and plow on it, you're pushing 1000 lbs. Plenty of traction for reasonable size logs. I can plow my driveway and sidewalks faster than a truck, try plowing a 40" sidewalk with a truck blade...way too big. You'll be hand shoveling or futzing around with a snowblower.

Yamaha 660 Grizzly with LogRite's ATV arch.

Arch.jpg

001-1.jpg

007-8.jpg

011-6.jpg

Spruce logs and cedar/juniper posts for fencing.

That's a nice setup deeker. I helped my dad build a similar arch, and with it hooked to a Farmall A we moved some pretty big stuff.

That's a nice setup deeker. I helped my dad build a similar arch, and with it hooked to a Farmall A we moved some pretty big stuff.

Thanks, it is one hell of a work saver. My dad hauls the logs...he turned 92 last june.

That biggest log in the top picture is 25"dbh and 18' long. Spruce, if I remember right....gonna be put on our mill for table slabs.

I was stuck between a few different types of equipment for our firewood gathering and finally decided on an ATV, a polaris 500 HO to be exact. We already have an old Ford 1958 Farm tractor with a trailer, and it's definitely a super useful thing to have. I was looking for something to either skid a tree with, or pull a small trailer in the areas where I can't get the large tractor and trailer in. We really try to preserve the land as best we can and keep the live stuff undamaged, so blazing multiple trails isn't always an option.

An old pickup was also considered, and is a super good idea but I was also looking for fun factor, and and ATV has that, and I can plow snow as well. I love the power of the 500 motor, and although I'm not pulling redwoods in Jersey :biggrinbounce2: , I have pulled out some pretty good sized trees from the brush. I also love the CVT clutch thing, hasn't slipped yet and it's amazing what this machine will go over. Not knocking any other brands of ATV's, but I'm definitely happy with it..Good luck either way...:cheers:

Weight and true 4x4 are keys. Polaris Sportsman is what I would suggest for skidding. Yes they leave a lot to be desired mechanicaly, but on pure capability there is no comparison.

You got it! I've worked my Sportsman 500 like a rented mule and it just keeps on going. We did a ton of work with my dad's old '95 XPlorer 400 2-stroke too when I was growing up. Logged an entire truck's worth off of his property a dozen years ago or so; I thought the frame was going to look like a wreck afterwards but I still can't find any problems with it. The four-stroke is SO much better for working though. I can pull a helluva load with hardly any throttle compared to what dad's machine needed. I'll disagree with your later statement about plowing though! That's the main reason I got mine. My driveway is only ~300' long at most, so I'm not doing a huge job with it, but with a set of chains you would be surprised at how much it'll push. Sure I'd rather have something bigger, but unless it's really cold out, plowing with the quad is fun anyway.

I've posted quite a few pics of logging with my quad over in the milling forum, here are a couple:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

That log was ~16-18" diameter and 26' long. It took both my quad and my neighbor's and the winch at times to get it home, and there were a couple really interesting rides down a hill or two, but we got it done. Wish I had video of that though. On the downhill sections I had to pull faster than the log was pushing my neighbor's little Honda to keep him straight, since there was no way his brakes would hold it back, so he was yelling "GO, GO, GO!" all the time. Then we got to an uphill section and my tires started spinning, and the chains were throwing huge globs of mud all over him and he started yelling "WHOA, WHOA!", but with all the noise it sounded the same to me for a few seconds. So he got pretty plastered! Good times though, I'll never forget that one.

Some less ambitious hauling I did by myself late this summer with a trailer I built:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

It's true the lack of weight is an issue for traction and holding back on a hill, but once you get used to the capabilities of the machine you can do a heck of a lot. Mine has an engine brake, so unless I have a really heavy load on, I find myself having to give it throttle going down a slope more often than having to apply the handbrake. Chains make a world of difference too, but really chew the terrain up as well, so I don't leave them on after breakup in the spring. My chains are just a set of auto chains that I cut down to fit the quad tires, nothing fancy.

Just get 50' of light chain. Snake the log out close enough to link up and load in a pick up. You would be amased what pickup can pull out of the woods.
ZG

I have been working ATV's for many years. The two toughest brands I have seen are Honda and Can-am (formerly bombardier).

You guys really need to run a Honda Rincon 680. That is one powerhouse of a 4-wheeler. Sucker is like a tank. They are built right for sure. The one at work has almost 6000 miles on it, never broke down. I love that 4-wheeler. I have pulled vehicles around with it, trucks out of snowdrifts, full grown dead cattle up and down mountains, etc. Have also pulled alot of big logs with it. You can't kill that thing. I have even raked hay with it for hours on end with a 10 wheel cart rake.

They also have a 500 Rubicon which is kinda new. It's a great 4-wheeler too.

I have a buddy who has a Can-am, 650 maybe. They are hard on it too and it never misses a beat.

I rank Yamaha next, followed by Suzuki, Polaris and then Kawasaki last. never had any luck out of Kawasakis. Suzuki have gave me pretty good use. I have a Vinson 500 that has 4000+ miles on it without breaking down yet. Still a strong ATV. Never was much on Polaris either. They are decent 4-wheelers though.

Another Honda story:

I'm 13 years old, doing donuts on a frozen pond on a old Foreman 400. This is back in 92-93. It's an old rugged beast. I'm skidding along and I hear cracking when I come to a stop in the middle. I get scared and gun it but don't make it. I was lucky dad was nearby feeding on the tractor. I almost died from Hypethermia. The 4-wheeler was left in the water as they were caring for me and it froze back over it. Only the tips of the handlebars were sticking out. 3-4 days later, we finally get a rope around it to pull it out. Thinking it would be junked. Crank the switch for about 2 minutes. Battery goes dead. Hooked up cables. Cranked a little more and she fired! Ran as good as it ever did. I remember the water blowing out of the exhaust. Looked like a whale blowing thru the hole in it's head. :hmm3grin2orange:

Tires? ITP mudlite! Best tire you can put on a 4WD ATV IMO. You can't get stuck with those tires. They last forever too.

I've had a set on my Vinson for 2000 miles now. Not one flat. Had to plug a factory tire up every week before I got them. 6-ply I believe.

Last edited:
I'm not a quad guy. I run a few different ones at the farm that aren't mine but I need to buy one for myself. My uses are a little different than what the ones for running cattle need to do and I need some advice on what to look for.

This machine will need to skid small logs and pull a trailer. I know a 350cc machine will do it but I'm wondering if there is an advantage to a larger motor or if that will really help or not. Also, what suspension style should I look for?
Basically, what would you four wheeler type guys buy as a firewood, logging type quad?

I'd go Honda, I have a 500 and it ju st wont quit. I think it has 5000 hrs and 4800 miles, but I'll have to check to confirm. One thing I know, I smartened up at least 200 cords with the bike and trailer up here in the north. It's been a real hoot and I've seen alot of good country and pounded out alot of good wood. Not much over head and alot of fun to boot.
John

I have a 700 Sportsman and it has worked pretty well, I have replaced both footwells w/ custom aluminum because the plastic does not hold up to cold and bashing in the woods. I occasionally use a skidding cone made from pressure tank or choke trailer. Chains really help on frozen ground.

:sucks:

Honda's dont break cause they are underpowered. Reliable they are though. it's not hard to make a reliable machine when you sit back and watch everyone take the new bike glory and you hold up the rear.

Polaris is just American made junk. The only thing they do right is put grease fittings on their A-arms. Their 500 sportsman machines are the weakest things I have ever ridden.

Only thing good about suzuki is up until recently they were being supported by kawasaki. kawi engines and technology.

Artic cat is almost a kawie to until recently.

Can-am's are decent machines. They are over priced for what they are. They have very weak frames and combined front and rear brakes sucks. The rotax engine is the best powerplant out there though.

Yamaha by far has the best CVT and tranny right now. That 660/700 single is a great engine also. A good quality machine and you get what you pay for.

Kawasaki is like honda. They sit back and watch but when they release a new machine it dominates. They have not changed the brute since 2005 when it was released and alot of the stuff on the brute came from the prairie of the early 2000's including the v twin power plant. You don't fix whats not broke. They don't call it brute force for nothing.

:sucks:

Honda's dont break cause they are underpowered. Reliable they are though. it's not hard to make a reliable machine when you sit back and watch everyone take the new bike glory and you hold up the rear.

Polaris is just American made junk. The only thing they do right is put grease fittings on their A-arms. Their 500 sportsman machines are the weakest things I have ever ridden.

Only thing good about suzuki is up until recently they were being supported by kawasaki. kawi engines and technology.

Artic cat is almost a kawie to until recently.

Can-am's are decent machines. They are over priced for what they are. They have very weak frames and combined front and rear brakes sucks. The rotax engine is the best powerplant out there though.

Yamaha by far has the best CVT and tranny right now. That 660/700 single is a great engine also. A good quality machine and you get what you pay for.

Kawasaki is like honda. They sit back and watch but when they release a new machine it dominates. They have not changed the brute since 2005 when it was released and alot of the stuff on the brute came from the prairie of the early 2000's including the v twin power plant. You don't fix whats not broke. They don't call it brute force for nothing.

And I suppose you'll only buy a BMW or Mercedes too, right? LOL. Everything isn't :censored:, just different from one another.

I dunno man, you can say what you want about Polaris machines and I respect your opinion, but that doesn't match up with my experiences at all. Mine pulls loads that it shouldn't handle due to its limited weight, starts and runs great even in our punishing -35°C winter weather, is very comfortable on the trails, and will hit 50 MPH on the roads (which I don't recommend; not safe at all). Can't think of what more I'd need it to do. And I paid about 2/3 what I would have for the equivalent Japanese machine. I respect them because they do last forever - I know an old guy who has put over 30,000 km on a Honda, and my neighbor recently had to rebuild one whose frame had rotted out from years of saltwater exposure, but still ran like a top - but they're just not for me. They sound like farting through a pillow, for one. I like a good bit of a roar when I really throttle down on an engine. And notice in my pics how a Polaris is pulling a Honda? :)

Latest posts

Back