Question for dealers?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justsaws

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Got a local dealer telling people that unless the customer is a saw related professional they are not allowed to sell the customer non safety chain. This is supposedly a new rule from the brand that they sell. I say B.S., but in a world of litigation maybe? I do not know. I also have not experienced this problem myself but have listened to more than a few people complain about it. What do you say?

A saw related professional has an account or works for a known company.

I am nether and my dealer sells them to me. I suggest going to a different dealer or shop on line at a place like Bailey's if it happens :rock: >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Talon

just yesterday I walked into my stihl dealer asked for yellow link .325 loops he said non-safty? I said yes he said I will have ot make them I said I will wait 3 minute pause he returned with my two loops no questions asked the green was all over out front the yellow has ot be spun off the reel in the back other than that I don't notice any difference in safety vs non at my dealer. MOst of their business is consumer non-commercial so I assume he only stocks a reel as needed of the non-safety. I will admit that untill I was here I had no clue that non-safety cut any faster than the safety bumpered chain. SO i gave it a whirl and I liked the difference so now everything I buy is non-safety.

Justsaws said:
Got a local dealer telling people that unless the customer is a saw related professional they are not allowed to sell the customer non safety chain. This is supposedly a new rule from the brand that they sell. I say B.S., but in a world of litigation maybe? I do not know. I also have not experienced this problem myself but have listened to more than a few people complain about it. What do you say?

Find another dealer.

If some dealer told me that he wouldnt sell me a vette because I cant handle it, I would find a NEW DEALER. Find aother dealer or go online and get chains.

I sell thousands and thousands of feet of chain each year and keep both green and yellow chain cut and stocked on the shelf for the customer. If a customer comes in and ask for a 16" chain for an Stihl 026, I give him a 26RMC3-67 green label chain. The customer (unless I know they are pros) have to ask for non safety chain. I dont mind selling them either one.
I would find another dealer if I were you.

As I stated, I myself have not experienced this problem. I order any new chain in bulk over the phone, break it, spin it, sharpen it myself.

I was wondering if dealers were being encouraged to be safer for consumers. New suggested policy or something.

I bought a new bar and chain from my Stihl dealer for my 021 a few weeks ago. I asked the dealer for the green safety chain. He said "I have chains that are a little more aggressive then those that will cut a little better". I said "no I'll just take the safety chain". Now after talking to the great people on this site I wish I went with the yellow chain.........next time I guess!

Justsaws said:

I think your dealer may be breathing too much exhaust fumes, as he is surley delusional. Even if there was such a rule, how does he check the credentials of customers to determine if they are "saw related professionals"?

The only real rule that exists is that any saw below 60CC has to be sold with the safety chain. It is an ANSI regulation, not specific to any company.

As far as replacement chains go, I mostly stock the non safety chains, since almost no one wants to buy the safety ones. I sold 2 saws this morning, and both customers asked me to sell them without the safety chain, which I would not do. (not only is it against the rules, but I don't want to get stuck with those loops myself)

Justsaws said:

Odd, I just ran into this exact same thing with a local dealer a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't sell me a non-safety chain because he didn't know whether or not I was a pro. Told him I've worked with saws since I was a kid-no deal. Told him my dad owns a logging company (with my last name) just two towns over-no deal. Happened to be wearing an Asplundh sweatshirt-no deal. Had a check stub from the tree company I work for in the same county in my wallet-no deal. Told him I have more saws in the back of my truck than he had on his showroom floor-no deal (and that just made him angry.) Needless to say, walked out without my chain and will never go back again.

Like a safety chain won't cut off a leg?

Why would these dealers care? Anytime I have everasked for a new chain.No deealer around here has cared.
To me it is like the corvette story. If I can afford it I should be able to own it..
I agree find a good dealer.
Around here we have more stihl dealers/service places. and one Jonsered shop.Now we have a tool rental, selling a line of Dolmars.I have known the owner for many years.He has given me odd remodel jobs back when I was young and working for myself.. Now that my window business is established and doing well. I am paying him back. Bought the 6400 from him.. No he does not work on the Dolmar line. But I am not a logger.. It will take me thirty years to wear out this saw. I know if it fails within the warranty period.He will do whatever he can to take care of my issues.and would probably give me a new saw to use while my original 6400 is being repaired.
Yeah I know I should have bought the 7900, but money was an issue..plus I do not need a dually when a 3/4 ton will do what I need.
I would like to pick up a longer bar and chain here in the near future, and yes I will probably buy it from the Dolmar dealer.
Unless I can find a used bar and a few chains here.

What a load of crap. I've seen it before and was amazed when I did.

It would be interesting to see this happen to someone who was a minority or a woman. Because odds are that they would own a good portion of the saw shop by the time that lawsuit was over.

beowulf343 said:
Odd, I just ran into this exact same thing with a local dealer a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't sell me a non-safety chain because he didn't know whether or not I was a pro. Told him I've worked with saws since I was a kid-no deal. Told him my dad owns a logging company (with my last name) just two towns over-no deal. Happened to be wearing an Asplundh sweatshirt-no deal. Had a check stub from the tree company I work for in the same county in my wallet-no deal. Told him I have more saws in the back of my truck than he had on his showroom floor-no deal (and that just made him angry.) Needless to say, walked out without my chain and will never go back again.
I wonder if the dealer you went to is the same OEM as the one in the original post. Could there be an OEM that is telling their dealers to do this?

Dealers

IF A DEALER SAID SAFETY CHAIN IS SOLD TO A HOME OWNER AND THEY ARE NOT TO SELL NON SAFETY TO HOMEONWERS LEAVE THE :censored::angry2: DEALER
AND FIND A NEW DEALER
DEALERS SHOULD NOT GIVE A KRAP THEY WANT TO MAKE SALES THEN THEY HAD BETTER JUST SAY I WILL SELL THE NON SAFETY TO ANY ONE AND LET IT WILL BE THEIR PROBLEM ONCE THE CUSTOMER LEAVES THE DEALER
IF CUSTOMER CHOPS OF A PIECE THIER BODY AT HOME FINE
THEY CHOSE THE CHAIN AND IT WAS THEIR FAULT NOT THE DEALER
ANY CHAIN CAN BITE YOU
YOU AS THE OPERATOR ARE SOLELY RESPOSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY:cheers:

brushswamper said:
IF A DEALER SAID SAFETY CHAIN IS SOLD TO A HOME OWNER AND THEY ARE NOT TO SELL NON SAFETY TO HOMEONWERS LEAVE THE :censored::angry2: DEALER
AND FIND A NEW DEALER
DEALERS SHOULD NOT GIVE A KRAP THEY WANT TO MAKE SALES THEN THEY HAD BETTER JUST SAY I WILL SELL THE NON SAFETY TO ANY ONE AND LET IT WILL BE THEIR PROBLEM ONCE THE CUSTOMER LEAVES THE DEALER
IF CUSTOMER CHOPS OF A PIECE THIER BODY AT HOME FINE
THEY CHOSE THE CHAIN AND IT WAS THEIR FAULT NOT THE DEALER
ANY CHAIN CAN BITE YOU
YOU AS THE OPERATOR ARE SOLELY RESPOSIBLE FOR YOUR OWN SAFETY:cheers:

just wondering, have you ever heard of "CAPS LOCK" , its on the left side of your keyboard and it magically shrinks your writing down a bit, making it alot readable...

i no not

i have tommy knocker in mycomputer it :popcorn:
he likes to play jokes when i least know it
any dealer that can not make a customer happy makes the saw brand look bad

How many posts here are from actual dealers or brand reps?

Do the Lowes and Home Depot sell only safety chain?

There are a few other issues that are similar to this but I want to get more information before I post about them.

safety

Most of my regular customers get better chain. Most of the chains on the wall are square tooth, super chisel chain.

However, there are some customers that I will try my best to sell safety chain. The question is " Have you ever used a chainsaw before?" and the answer is "No".
I am seeing quite a few right now. The customers are from Erie county and need to clean up after the storm. They come in looking for a big saw to cut up to 12 inch limbs, which means they will be about six inches or less.

They leave with a MS180 w/ 14" bar and chain. They have plenty of power to cut up the limbs, then it will sit in the garage till the next storm, a few years off.

I don't think I am doing this type of customer any wrong, maybe a little good.

Latest posts

Back