Question for the Mac collectors

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richv70

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at purchasing a Pro 10 10 or Pro Mac 10 10, my dad had one when I was very young and it was the first saw he bought to cut firewood with, I can't remember which he actually had. My question is, what is the difference between the Pro 10 10 & the Pro Mac 10 10?

Thanks.

The Pro Mac 10-10 is 3 cc larger and has other modifications ( timing, carb,or cylinder modification, not sure what)that make it stronger than the 10-10. I have either one that I will sell if you are interested. Tom

The Pro Mac 10-10 is 3 cc larger and has other modifications ( timing, carb,or cylinder modification, not sure what)that make it stronger than the 10-10. I have either one that I will sell if you are interested. Tom

Thanks, I thought I read they were both 54cc?

Thanks, I thought I read they were both 54cc?

You are right. I must have had a brain fart. I was thinking about a Pro Mach 10-10 S. It has 57 cc and is a good bit more powerful than the others. I have A Pro Mac 10-10 S and at least one of the others that are a running saw if you are interested. Thanks Tom

I'm looking at purchasing a Pro 10 10 or Pro Mac 10 10, my dad had one when I was very young and it was the first saw he bought to cut firewood with, I can't remember which he actually had. My question is, what is the difference between the Pro 10 10 & the Pro Mac 10 10?

Thanks.

I have both versions and I wonder the same thing. The air filter is slightly shorter one of them, I don't remember which. The chain brake/clutch cover is different and the the pro 10-10 has a black air filter cover. I don't really see any more differences, but I am far from an expert and someone will likely correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In a least iteration, the Pro 10-10 had a short clutch cover while the Pro Mac 10-10 had the long clutch cover that also covered the muffler.

I always get the impression that the older models with the short cover came with a bit more pep, my 7-10 will spank and PM700, the PM55 (short clutch cover) beats the PM555 (long clutch cover). Maybe just a perception but my 7-10 will put a nice fresh PM700 away quite easily.

Mark

In a least iteration, the Pro 10-10 had a short clutch cover while the Pro Mac 10-10 had the long clutch cover that also covered the muffler.

I always get the impression that the older models with the short cover came with a bit more pep, my 7-10 will spank and PM700, the PM55 (short clutch cover) beats the PM555 (long clutch cover). Maybe just a perception but my 7-10 will put a nice fresh PM700 away quite easily.

Mark

Thanks Mark, Anything I should watch for when looking at these? I have found a Pro 10 10 somewhat close to me on Craigslist.

Every part is still available for one, you just may have to spend a bit for them. Either saw will likely have a Walbro SDC carburetor so kits are easy to find. Both OEM and aftermarket fuel lines are available, seals are standard items, rings are generally available for less than $20. As long as the cylinder is not scored badly the saw can certainly be made to run again. NOS mufflers can be found but sometimes they want $50 for one.

The Pro 10-10 would be points ignition, most of the Pro Mac 10-10 (and other Pro Mac saws) were electronic ignition except for a few very early ones. I don't mind working on a points ignition saw since I can troubleshoot every single component. Some folks prefer the simplicity of the electronic.

Mark

Every part is still available for one, you just may have to spend a bit for them. Either saw will likely have a Walbro SDC carburetor so kits are easy to find. Both OEM and aftermarket fuel lines are available, seals are standard items, rings are generally available for less than $20. As long as the cylinder is not scored badly the saw can certainly be made to run again. NOS mufflers can be found but sometimes they want $50 for one.

The Pro 10-10 would be points ignition, most of the Pro Mac 10-10 (and other Pro Mac saws) were electronic ignition except for a few very early ones. I don't mind working on a points ignition saw since I can troubleshoot every single component. Some folks prefer the simplicity of the electronic.

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Back