Question for tree service guys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rguseman

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know there is probably not a "one size fits all" answer to this question but here it goes. I have a friend who is going to have several ash trees dropped in her yard. She does not want to keep the wood and asked if I was interested in it. Of course, I said yes. The problem is that some of the trees are 2-3' in diameter at the base. I have no problem cutting and splitting wood that size. My problem is that I do not have the equipment to load and haul it. In general, are you guys willing to haul the wood to a separate location or is it a situation that if the wood is not going back to your operation the client is on their own. If so, how much do you charge or what would be a reasonable charge? Once cut and split it will probably result in several cords so it would be worth it for me to pay a fair charge for mileage, fuel, my convenience, etc. Cutting and splitting on site is really not an option due to time constraints.

If it's close say within 15-20 miles I would ad around 200 to the job.Thats whole uncut delivered with a log truck I have a customer who has a bunch of Rental property's every time we work for him the wood has to be delivered to his son in laws house.

I don't know the tree service business so pardon my ignorance but is that more cost-effective for you than keeping it, cutting and splitting and then selling it or more of a hassle.

hassle

Most tree service guys don't want to be bothered with firewood, just get it on the ground and off the customers property.

Most tree service guys don't want to be bothered with firewood, just get it on the ground and off the customers property.

This is true, but we don't want to be bothered with finding a place to dump the wood either. The company i work for does around a dozen takedowns a day-that's alot of wood and it piles up fast. If someone wants a few loads or a hundred loads, we have no problem delivering it. We have got lists of people who want wood-when we are in their area, we give them a call and dump all they want, free of charge. Cheaper than hauling it 50 miles back to the shop. Hauling away the wood is a part of most of the jobs we do. If someone close wants the wood-it's better for us.

Here in my area the tree companies want to be paid for the wood. No matter if they drop it off in whatever size they load it or if you go pick it up at their yard. OWB have made wood valuable.

This is true, but we don't want to be bothered with finding a place to dump the wood either. The company i work for does around a dozen takedowns a day-that's alot of wood and it piles up fast. If someone wants a few loads or a hundred loads, we have no problem delivering it. We have got lists of people who want wood-when we are in their area, we give them a call and dump all they want, free of charge. Cheaper than hauling it 50 miles back to the shop. Hauling away the wood is a part of most of the jobs we do. If someone close wants the wood-it's better for us.

Clearly, i need to get onto one of these lists! I tried desperately to get a tree service working in my neighborhood to allow me to take wood they were feeding into a chipper. It nearly brought tears to my eyes..... maple so big they had to feed the chipper with a crane (wow! Impressive chipper!!)! there reply was..... boss says time is money, quickest way to get rid of it is chip it ! Lord.... what a shame !

Whoa, just reread the thread-do you expect us to cut and split it? We don't do that-you get it in the lengths we cut it to get it down.

Not at all. I just want the wood. My buddy and I do the cutting and splitting. I am just getting into this and am trying to build up enough sources of cheap/free wood to make it cost-effective heat my house at least on a part time basis with wood. First w/fireplace insert and later (hopefully) a wood-fired boiler to go with my gas-fired boiler. However, if I have to pay market price for firewood it does not make sense. However, since I am just starting, my capacity for hauling wood is limited to when my neighbor's one-ton dump is available. Therefore, I am hoping to find some tree services that are looking for a place to dump a few loads. Sorry for the rather long-winded answer to a relatively simple question:givebeer:

I am considering asking the same things of a tree service. A few have to drive right past my house to drop off logs at the local (pay-tip fee) compost place. Thought about posting a sign on my fence asking to drop their hardwood logs in my driveway - free.

I suspect a fellow about a mile away has a tree service drop off rounds for him, as I have seen the tree company @ his house, and next thing he has mounds of oak laying around.

I am always happy if people come and take the wood, I buck it into manageble pieces. I have seen people almost come to blows over free wood. Sometimes I help people load it if I like them. Not the same everywhere though. Maybe you could buck logs for the tree guys, that way they would be more likely to call you, no one likes to buck firewood when they could be some where else.

Be careful how you ask for it , you might get them to do it for free (take it to your house) . Just dont act like you are doing them a favor. I shoudlnt rant but it makes me mad when someone asks for the gravy on a tough job I am doing and its happened alot.Example= I am taking down a very large tree maybe with saw logs and I am sopposed to take all away when some guy stops and offers to haul the wood away for the homeowner and save him money and we already have a deal. Good luck.

Be careful how you ask for it , you might get them to do it for free (take it to your house) . Just dont act like you are doing them a favor. I shoudlnt rant but it makes me mad when someone asks for the gravy on a tough job I am doing and its happened alot.Example= I am taking down a very large tree maybe with saw logs and I am sopposed to take all away when some guy stops and offers to haul the wood away for the homeowner and save him money and we already have a deal. Good luck.

I think that is a very valid point. That is why in my case, I told my friend (who has an estimate, but no signed contract) that if the tree service was willing to haul it I would either pay them directly or if they want to include it in the contract, I would pay my friend for the charge. In any event, my thought is if they don't think I am fishing for a freebie on this job, they may keep in mind if they do have a wood they want to get rid of down the road.

call a few out of the phone book.

i doubt you will have trouble finding more than one willing to bring you wood.

i love those jobs when the neighbors come over and ask for the wood.even when they just want some of it.

Latest posts

Back