question:Maximum recommended bar size for my saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ross_scott

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Sorry for asking so many questions guys, I am wanting to know what is the absolute maximum I can take the bar to on my saw. It was originally and 034AV but I have as some of you know(previous thread) recently stuck an 036AV piston and cylinder onto it. I may be getting a job on a forestry crew as a trainee logmaker and by the sound of it I will have to take my own saw the tree species I will be dealing with is Radiata Pine

Do you have any idea how big those trees will be, average and maximum?

There are people who run 24" bars (with full skip chain) on saws that size, but I think it will work well only in soft wood.

With regular (full comp) chain I think 20" is max, and 18" preferable.

If I needed a bar longer than 18" on regular basis, I would get a bigger saw!

At the moment I use an 18 inch bar with 3/8 RS chisel chain I could be cutting anywhere from 18-24"(i currently thin to waste with the 18" on the training course I am doing I sometimes use the MS440 that the institute provides but prefer my saw as I get a trouble free day out of it). I will only be bucking softwood(radiata is the primary plantation tree over here), also the muffler has had some of the holes in the baffles drilled to 8.5mm. Also I am only going to use this saw until I have saved enough to get myself an MS441(waiting for it to come out in NZ) or other option is the ms660 magnum these two models cost between $2500 - $3000NZD so it will take a while and I have to make do with what I have got for the moment

066's come up on trademe for as little as $1500 brand new, I got myself one and its been a great saw. You have to give the muffler some extra flow to keep the engine cool and quick. Unless your a big guy, a 44 or 372 should do you fine. The 372's sometimes come up cheap from guys doing the forestry courses and flicking them off for easy cash, and the odd 385 and 395. all great saws.

I've run both 18" and 20" on the 036/360 and used it in hard dead oak with a full comp, full chisel chain. Having said that, the saw will balance in your hands and cut better with the 18" bar.

My 360 had a 24" b&c on it when I bought it, pulled ok with full skip chain. I use an 18" bar with full comp chain now, but wouldn't hesitate to put the 24" back on it for a few full bar cuts in softwood or to get me by until I could trade up.

I am definitely looking at a 20" bar and chain but if I can get away with the 24" then that would be a bonus, TimberMcpherson I am seriously considering looking at trademe aswell once I have the cash together but in all reality I would prefer to buy locally from a dealer so I can have full warranty cover trademe would have to be a last option.

to me 034 super (aprox same as 036) will pull a 20in but is kinda gutless when fully buried in hard oak. much happier with 18in bar for hardwoods.

keep your chain sharp and you'll be fine if you are not in a hurry.

for production work, min I'd want is 460 or 372

Back