question on 372xpw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the saw.

To wake it up, contact Jasha aka Treesling'r. He's "local" to you. Hand him the appropriate $$$, wait a couple of weeks, then see optometrist to have eyeballs put back in...

Fantastic,thanks for the replies.No,no one tuned it for me,i pulled it out of the box and put it together myself,does it need to be tuned before it's broken in? I would figure it's set up a tad rich for break in,but what the hell do i know,this is my first new one. I'll take her easy for the first few tanks,and keep check'n the plug.Looks like it's still rain'in the next few days,so i'll try to figure out the pic thing.I know,i know no pic's it did'nt happen:censored:

Fantastic,thanks for the replies.No,no one tuned it for me,i pulled it out of the box and put it together myself,does it need to be tuned before it's broken in? I would figure it's set up a tad rich for break in,but what the hell do i know,this is my first new one. I'll take her easy for the first few tanks,and keep check'n the plug.Looks like it's still rain'in the next few days,so i'll try to figure out the pic thing.I know,i know no pic's it did'nt happen:censored:

I would absolutely take it somewhere to make sure it's tuned properly before you go running a few tanks through it. my 2 cents

Congrats on your 1st new saw!

Being this is your 1st new saw, you might not have known what to expect from your selling dealer. I was always told that part of having the warranty be valid, the dealer must set the saw up for you and tune?... Or is that just a Stihl thing?

From what you said earlier, dealer hands you the box and said "Here ya go. Don't mess with the limiter caps or your warranty is doomed"...... Sounds like a good dealer?... I know it was Bailey's and I've had good luck with them w/ online orders, but that above just doesn't sound right.... You need to have someone put a tach on it at least. Don't want to mess up your nice new saw...

I would absolutely take it somewhere to make sure it's tuned properly before you go running a few tanks through it. my 2 cents

Congrats on your 1st new saw!

Being this is your 1st new saw, you might not have known what to expect from your selling dealer. I was always told that part of having the warranty be valid, the dealer must set the saw up for you and tune?... Or is that just a Stihl thing?

From what you said earlier, dealer hands you the box and said "Here ya go. Don't mess with the limiter caps or your warranty is doomed"...... Sounds like a good dealer?... I know it was Bailey's and I've had good luck with them w/ online orders, but that above just doesn't sound right.... You need to have someone put a tach on it at least. Don't want to mess up your nice new saw...

+1. If you dont have a tach, Id find a shop or someone with a tach to check it. Last thing you want is that sucker tuned lean and running against the rev limiter, might end its life early....

Never had a problem with huskys right out of the box. Fuel her up and let her rip. If you are really worried, turn the H adjustment needle counterclockwise (out) all the way to the stop. The limiter tab will not allow it to move very far and that is a rich as you are going to get it without trimming the tab. Also this saw probably has a rev limited coil (both of mine did) and it will not allow the saw to go over 13500k. My unlimited 372xps run at 13800-14000k so it should be fine. If you don’t have one, Baileys sells a sendec that is the same as a stihl edt-7. Well worth the $70 bucks. Good Luck.

Ok,again thank you for the replies, got freaked out about baileys not set'n up and tuneing the new saw before i run it,like some of you said,and that makes sence. Just got off the phone with baileys, and they said out of the box all new huskys are ready to go,no tune needed,soooo i guess they should know?i hope so.When i picked up the saw the guy that help me with the order asked if i wanted them to put it together,i said i would rather do it myself,he said no problem,never said anything about tune'in it.I recorded the conversation with the person who said it's good out the box,so if she blows i'll be up in baileys grill give'in it back.However i think the tach is a good idea.Let me know if you guys think baileys is full of it on this matter.thanks for the help.

I have bought huskys through the mail for years. Just bolt on the bar and handle, mix and oil and go cut. Your saw will be fine.

Stoped by my local husky dealer and talked to one of the girls there,she said normaly they would fuel,start,and make sure the saw had no problems but they dont do any tuneing on the saw when its new from husky.I did check the high&low settings on the saw and they are both maxed out rich with the limiters touching each other.Also yanked the plug and the saw was definitly run in to the point the plug had some color,sooo to heck with it,friday is the day,goin cut'in.took some pick's of it new,sure is purdy:msp_thumbsup:will try to figure out how to post pic's soon. One thing for sure,new saw's are more fun than old saw's.:cheers:

When I bought my 372XPW both high and low were maxed out against limiters. Did nothing to it but swap the limited coil out for a unlimited one. Seemed like it was screaming, put a tach on it swinging like 14 to 14.5. The saw was actually bouncing off the rev limiter running lean as hell. I had to pull the limiter caps to tune it to spec rpm. The saw was tuned by a dealer and he didn't catch it!

Mine had 5 minutes of run time before it was tore down and the coil changed out. I don't own a tach so I don't know what it was turning. I just tuned it with good 4 stroke out of wood and cleaned up in the cut.

You boys are going to give him a complex. I have never seen a dealer yet at either husky or stihl that adjusts the carb on a new saw. They start em, make sure they oil and send you out the door.

If you want to check and see if you are hitting the limiter, start the saw, warm it up by cutting a log or two, then proceeed to check the H on the saw. Put the saw to the boards in a safe location (like on the ground with your foot through the rear handle) and turn the H from rich to lean (clockwise) and back again (counter clockwise). You should notice an audible difference in the tone of the saw (like it sounds like it is getting faster) when he turns it toward lean. Set it back to rich (all the way counterclockwise) and go cut wood.

Either way easier to tune with a unlimited coil. Chuck the blue one, find a black one, slap it in, no more worries about a rev limiter.

I'll never run a saw with a blue coil in it again.

My experience with new saw purchase... Four different Stihl dealers and with every saw I've ever bought through the years, dealer installs whatever bar/chain combo you request, fuels and oils saw, starts and warms while checking for oiling and then tachs at WOT. Carb adjustment are made most times. Years past, the dealer would tell me to bring it back after x many tanks for re-tune. Last few years, that hasn't been the case. They said it was all good after the initial tune...

Maybe with Husky it's different? Maybe it's the "Big Box Store" mantality?....
I don't know? I do know that you want that saw to last a long time and if it was me, I'd want it tach'd, at least, so I know where it's set.

Just because the limiter is set all the way fat, doesn't mean it's right. My MS362 was still too lean set against the fat side of the limiter. A good tech made the necessary adjustments before I went out the door with it.....

Do what you want though...

...When i picked up the saw the guy that help me with the order asked if i wanted them to put it together,i said i would rather do it myself,he said no problem,never said anything about tune'in it.

I think the OP misunderstood what Bailey's meant. They would have assembled and run the saw, made sure it was set right, answered any questions he had and all the guess work he's going through now would have been avoided.
Maybe he'll know better next time. Bailey's is excellent with customer service...the OP should have taken advantage of it.

I think the OP misunderstood what Bailey's meant. They would have assembled and run the saw, made sure it was set right, answered any questions he had and all the guess work he's going through now would have been avoided.
Maybe he'll know better next time. Bailey's is excellent with customer service...the OP should have taken advantage of it.

This sounds right to me, especially with this being his first new saw purchase. He just didn't know what to expect...

Back