Question....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
UPDATE;

After reading all of the posts here I realized I was wrong about the wood being seasoned. So I called the gentleman and explained to him why I thought the wood was seasoned and that I was wrong. I apologized again and gave him his money back ($80.00) and offered to let him keep the wood also.
He said since he couldn't burn it that he would like me to get it out of his garage, so when he calls today I will pick it up and start a new stack for NEXT year.
I want to thank all of you gentlemen for helping me to understand my mistake, I guess the ol' saying is true...''Your never to old to learn''.

If there is such a thing as Karma, you just earned a bunch of points in my book.:bowdown::clap:

UPDATE;

After reading all of the posts here I realized I was wrong about the wood being seasoned. So I called the gentleman and explained to him why I thought the wood was seasoned and that I was wrong. I apologized again and gave him his money back ($80.00) and offered to let him keep the wood also.
He said since he couldn't burn it that he would like me to get it out of his garage, so when he calls today I will pick it up and start a new stack for NEXT year.
I want to thank all of you gentlemen for helping me to understand my mistake, I guess the ol' saying is true...''Your never to old to learn''.

You are hereby instructed to add 50 points to your man card. Good on ya, mate!! :cheers:

I think OP is being very honest but made a mistake through lack of knowledge. Unfortunately a seller is expected to know their product but with firewood there are many many variables, it's a learning experience!

Some wood will dry to a good extent in the round (Ash and many softwoods). Others are very slow to dry (Oak) and others will rot (birch). All woods dry well if split, stacked off the ground and in a breezy, sunny spot, with some top cover for the wet months. If you do that, if you split smallish and your conditions are good then you can dry most wood fairly swiftly, but not in a few weeks... A summer time.... Maybe, if conditions are good.

Well done OP for asking what was wrong, and for listening to the comments (even though some of the comments were presented a little roughly maybe)

I checked some of the wood that sat in blocks unsplit for 13 months, the outside read 18% while the inside read 28%.

You are learning grasshopper.

Just for kicks, It would be interesting to see your readings within one inch of the outside edge vs in the center of the split. (I am actually surprised your inside readings aren't higher than 28%.)

Have any of you fella's ever sold firewood to someone only to have them call you 3hrs later to complain about the wood?
I had this happen yesterday for the first time. We had rain here for 3 days prior to the buyer getting the wood and he says it won't burn. I delivered the same wood in the rain all weekend without a single complaint.
I should have known something wasn't right when the man's wife first called and asked did I have seasoned firewood.
She said they bought some that was green and would not burn. I have come to the conclusion that this man has no experience with 'building' a fire.
Anyone else run into this before?

There is always someone that will complain from time to time. You can't please everyone.

The moisture meter doesn't lie. One of my on going activities is looking for new suppliers to add to my firewood supply chain. I spoke to a guy yesterday willing to sell firewood at my price point. Unfortunately right away he told me he let's the wood dry in log form and splits it as he loads it. I told him politely that I have rarely seen firewood dry enough when it is processed that way. He assured me the logs had been cut two years ago and he sells 16 cords a week with no complaints. I asked him if he could give me a few sample pieces to test and burn in my wood stove. I picked the splits up last night and tested them in my garage. Readings were taken on fresh splits below. No big surprise that the hardwood was wet as hell and didn't burn (smoldered) when I put it on a hot bed of burning wood and coals in my wood stove. The two pieces on the right were poplar, they were dry and light as a feather (23%-24%), I can't sell poplar either. Pictures below.

20180104_202137.jpg 20180104_202305.jpg 20180104_202509.jpg 20180104_202643.jpg 20180104_202704.jpg

Latest posts

Back