Questions about Husky & Stihl saw lines

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveymw

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I've just found this site and read through about 75 days worth of chainsaw posts. I've found them informative and, sometimes, entertaining. But I haven't seen much about the 2 saws I've been looking at... the Stihl 036 Pro and the Husky 357xp. At the 2 dealers I've visited the 036 pro is $509 and the Husky is $569, Both with 20" bars.

I'm not a pro logger, but I use a chainsaw fairly often on my land and hunting land and I want to buy one once and have it for the rest of my life. I've used and 026 and liked it, but my father has an old Poulan saw from the early '70s, (don't know the model) which is in the 60cc range and I like it a ton better than the 026 (except that my thumb gets tired pumpin' the oiler on the Poulan ;) . Not because it's a better saw, just because it's bigger, has a 3/8" chain, 20" bar and cuts a ton faster when you're sawing up a big log into firewood.

I probably haven't heard much about the Husky 357xp because it's new. But I see people mention the 026 and 044 a lot, but not much about the 036. I definitely want the bite and speed of a 3/8" chain, a 20" bar, and a saw that will drive it well (but I don't intend to enter any hotsaw competitions). Now on to my questions...

1. Am I wasting my money with these saws being and infrequent, but steady user and would one of the saws on the lower end of Stihl or Husky line serve me just as well. If so, which ones?

2. I'm not opposed to a used saw, what would fit my specs? I can't seem to find much info on anything but the "current" saw lines from these 2 manufacturers online, so If I see an older saw for sale, I don't know what I'm looking at. Any online references to these "older models" from these manufacturers would be appreciated.

3. Of the two (036 Stihl and 357xp Husky) I like the high revs of the husky but the price of the Stihl and, all things considered, I'd probably lean toward the Stihl (Sorry Huskyman) based soley on price. Are these two saws as comperable, performance-wise, as I seem to think they are or am I comparing apples to oranges?

4. Any other words of wisdom are certainly welcome.

I've tried them both and they seem to both be great saws. Judging by the price of used ones, they seem to hold their value better than Toyotas (used 036s are going for $350-$400 ebay and a brand-spankin' new one is only $510 - Same with the top-end Husky saws)... things that make ya go Hummmm.

Thanks for any info.

Dave

Don't know much about the 036. I've used 038's (discontinued) and 044's. I paid $600+ for a brand new 038Magnum over 12 years ago, so prices haven't gone up much. If the 026 isn't big enough, I'd recommend the 044. Stay away from the 029-039 series, they won't hold up for the long term you require.
Don't have enough experience with Husky's in that size range, but I'm sure you will get some input on those from Huskyman or Darin.:D

Remember, you are only going to spend this money once, and the $100 difference will be forgotten long before you wear out the saw. Get the best you can afford.

Last edited:
Stihl can't put price's on the internet,but husky does.Check out madsens1.com or baileys-online.com for best price's on husk's.Madsens doesn't list the 357xp in there price's,so ask for a price quote on that saw but they list the 261xp for 469 and the 365xp for 489 both with 20" bar.I do prefer Stihl,the 036 or 044 would both be a good saw for your needs.Jake

As much as I want to tell you to spring for the 357Xp alas it is too new and I have not tried one. From what I have heard it will outcut an 036 and give an 044 a run for the money on a good day, but that is second hand information. Also the 036 is much more battle tested, and Darin can tell you if he has seen any warranty problems. Now the 372XP is one fine saw that I have to mention but that may be out of your price range. Definitely buy new if you can afford it, and it sounds like you can, and get the warranty and dealer support that comes with it. Speaking of dealers, who treated you better and seemed like they would be more willing to get you the best setup? A saw with the right bar and chain combo will outcut the competition every time. After all that drivel, my number 1 recommendation is:
1) get a 372XP and con the dealer into giving you a free bar and chain since you are dumping $600 plus. get a 16" bar and full chisel chain and a 24-28" bar with semi chisel
2) For less money and nonprofessional use you can save about $200 and get a 365 Husky. It is 4.6 hp and will smoke that Poulan, can handle a 28"bar, has 65cc's. Good luck and be sure to let us know what you decide

G'day Guys,

My vote would go with the 038 Magnum, which is alive and well and still being made in Germany and Brazil. I dont believe its available in the States, but a quick trip over the border to Canada will get you one. This saw is bulletproof and the design has changed little over the past 20 years! What a testimony in itself.
Its the communal skidder saw you see on site, and it looks like it should have died years ago, but still goes beaut! Imagine how long it should last with proper TLC. IMHO.

greenchainsaw.gif

Last edited:
If you're interested in a used 038 or 044 let me know.

My wife say's that I have to clear a path from the living room to the bathroom so this means some chain saws must go!!!

They are both good running saws and I'll probably put them on EBAY before too long. I'll want approx. EBAY prices but will throw in a 1 or 2 day satisfaction guarantee.

From what you describe, I'd go for an 044 or maybe a Husky 372xp.

We hear in the states may not have 38s no more blame it on Regan the last American Pres. we do have remington, winchester, colt & Bareta in everyones hands, oh there most likely from Brazil.South of the border ? Everyone is pumping up the 044 why not go for the 046 ?

Hey Sonny,

That means I must be in Heaven. I got a 38 AND a Remington! (.308VSSF)
And do you mean Reagan was the last REAL president?

Last edited:
To answer some questions...

Huskyman, both dealers were very helpful (of course they were, they wanted to sell saws). One of the dealers sold both Husky and Stihl and let me try both the 357xp and the 036pro. I must say I liked the "feel" of the 357xp better... for whatever reasons, but mostly I think because it responded more quickly to a pull on the throttle and revved like a banshee. The dealer who let me try the saws "seemed" like the service after the sale would be great. BTW: There were 3 employees helping at this dealer. I was the only customer at the time so I got plenty of attention. At this dealer and it seems Husky was the recommendation winner 2 to 1. The 2 "Husky" guys were still playing with the 357 when I returned to the showroom.

I wanna stay on the "bottom side" in the size and weight ranges... pretty much want the minimum good saw that will pull a 3/8" chain on a 20" bar well. That's why I'm not looking at the 044 - 372xp & up.

Jake - Thanks for the heads up on madsens1.com. I did email them to check their price on the Husky... haven't replied yet. While there I looked at the 261xp for $469, I would guess this is what the 357xp is replacing. Looks like it's in my ballpark. What's the skinny on this saw?

Enjoying the replies.

Dave

- A long, long way from Canada in Georgia where a BIG pine tree is 40", but, this yellow pine is HEAVY. :) and the Poplars grow big, straight and fast.

I Forgot - My Dad just turned 70 and he hasn't really used the old Poulan for a while... maybe I'll talk him out of that saw too. It's in near perfect condition and runs like an ox, just have to do my thumb exercises.

Dave

Was the 261xp new? If so it may be a clearance item because it is not made in 2001 and I dont think they were made in 2000. It may be slightly heavier then the 357xp not quite rev as high, but when built it was designed to be a pro saw. If you like the feel of the 357 then go for it

Price is no issue. Alamia.com has the 357xp with a 20" bar for $510 with free shipping. I have owned both an 036 and a 372XP. I have to say that I liked both, but the 372XP is my favorite. I found some information on a German website that had fuel usage at maximum horsepower. The 036 is one of the least fuel efficient at 6.98 Hp-Hr/gal. The 372XP is near the top at 9.00 Hp-Hr/gal. I don't have any info on the 357XP, probably too new, but the Husqvarna saws seem to be more fuel efficient then Stihls in general. I talked to a guy that has a 357XP and 372XP, and he is selling the 372XP because the 357XP is almost as fast and lighter, if that tells you anything. Another saw you may want to consider is the Olympyk 962 or John Deere CS62. They are a 12.4 lb saw with 4.7Hp, actually beating both the 036 and 357XP in power to weight ratio, and rating at 8.88 Hp-Hr/gal. You can buy the John Deere version for about $430 with shipping (See my post on John Deere chainsaw prices). Plus, the John Deere saw has a two year consumer waranty. The only drawback is the saw has an outboard clutch and no side chain tensioner. It does have a compression release and a feature like Husqvarna's air injection, which is quite nice, and a carburetor primer bulb.

Internet Stihl prices.

Stihl can't put price's on the internet,but husky does.Check out madsens1.com or baileys-online.com for best price's on husk's.Madsens doesn't list the 357xp in there price's,so ask for a price quote on that saw but they list the 261xp for 469 and the 365xp for 489 both with 20" bar.I do prefer Stihl,the 036 or 044 would both be a good saw for your needs.Jake

You can get prices for Stihl saws online at http://www.stihlusa.com/ Just use the dealer locator, & if that dealer has a website, it will give you the retail price of the saw.
But you will find no Stihl parts breakdowns or prices online. I can only guess that Stihl likes to protect their dealer network.

Old old old...........

Dang! I never looked at the date........................No wonder it got so dusty here!!

Back