Quick Chain Adjuster...POS!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bermie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Ok, I've heard about them, seen 'em on a few saws...decided to reserve judgement.

Well last week I got a phone call from some pals who were out culling invasives, they had to take apart a 210 with a QCA when the palm fibres plugged it all up...now they are not pro's, just enthusiastic amateurs and were bewildered by all the bits.
I spent about 20 mins helping talk through how to put it back together...even I didn't have much of an idea over the phone!

Then at the end of the week I was doing a refresher course for the Regiment and one of the saws they had was an MS270C.
That was the first time I got to see all the bits and pieces that go into the QCA, cogs, rachets, springs, some plastic, some metal...I was not impressed.
Sure enough when we got out on site and started cutting, the QCA wouldn't hold tension and the chain was sagging, upon taking it apart, the top plastic cog was worn out, no way it was going to hold.

For a homeowner one person saw, maybe it's ok...but for hard field use, multiple users and not all with a delicate touch, I'd say its a waste of time.
Too many parts, metal mixed with plastic, too fiddley. Too many small bits to clog up.
The regular posts and side nuts are the way to go, KEEP IT SIMPLE!

So is there a retrofit for the MS270? It looks like you can take out two plugs and put in two posts and a side tensioner to get it back to the 'old style' Anyone care to send me some part numbers so we can get this saw back in action?

Actually the quick chain adjust works quite well on the small saws, I do not
have a lot of experience on the bigger ones. If I was on the Stihl payroll,
I would adopt some of "Oregon Engineer's" terminology to tell you what you are doing wrong.

Sorry Oregon, it has been a while............................

Seriously, can you elaborate on what you have found? What were you cutting? Cannibis fibres can booger up any working system, as well as
resin clogging up the oiler ports......

No, with a properly sharpened chain, the smaller saws use this system well.

Latest posts

Back